LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 37  Next  [ 721 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2B/3B Options

Offline  Re: 2B/3B Options
Posted: December 04, 2018, 8:59 AM Post
I have to think the Brewers can see 3 Million this season and in the past Mark has not been scared to push the Budget up.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 04, 2018, 9:08 AM Post
I think ownership and the front office knows this team has a window of opportunity that is probably 3 years, and they also realize this team is a legit World Series contender right now, and that a big piece or two may very well push them over the top. They obviously aren't going to throw caution to the wind and sign guys like Harper or Machado, but I really believe that we are going to see a couple of acquisitions that can be qualified as "big" names, which means that the payroll and any perceived cap likely isn't the concern it's being made out as by a few posters here. They aren't going to sign anyone to a $30 million/year deal, but the money isn't a problem if they feel the upgrade is worth it. I think the opportunity is there for a big upgrade at catcher, 2B (or 3B if the plan is to play Shaw at 2B), perhaps RF, and undoubtedly at the top of the rotation. A high-end reliever isn't out of the realm of possibility either. Now they likely aren't going address all these areas this offseason, but I have a strong feeling that 2-3 of them will be addressed in a significant way.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 04, 2018, 9:54 AM Post
I agree with this and think we be staring at the winter meeting either Via trades or FA or some combo. .

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 04, 2018, 11:05 AM Post
brewmann04 said:
I have to think the Brewers can see 3 Million this season and in the past Mark has not been scared to push the Budget up.

That remains to be seen, I think. MLB Trade Rumors just ran an estimate last week of an opening day salary of over $95 million, even after cutting Schoop, Jennings, and Cedeño and making no additions, which would mark only the fourth time in 15 years we’ve opened over that spending level. The Brewers have never had an opening day salary reach $105 million or higher. While I’d love them to expand it and reach $120+, I just don’t know if that’s realistic, even with a boost in playoff revenue last year and doubtlessly increased attendance this year (barring a Brewers-esque collapse in the face of high expectstions, of course). To expect them to make any total signings or trades that would raise yearly salary outlays by more than $10 million is even a stretch. It just isn’t the orgs M.O.

What is best in life? To crush the Cardinals, Cubs, and Manny Machado, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their fanboys.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 04, 2018, 8:52 PM Post
So, you need to account for inflation when comparing previous years opening day payroll.

Just using the CPI, having a $104M payroll in 2015 equates to $111M in 2019. Its not unreasonable to expect a $115-120M team payroll at the start of 2019 now that the brewers are back in contention. From 2017 to 2018 the opening day payroll was increased by $30M.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 05, 2018, 7:03 AM Post
Trade Thames (plus a MiLB'er) for Sonny Gray, the sign Moose.

Shaw can play 1B, 2B, 3B
Moose can play 1B, 3B
Jesus at 1B
H Perez can play everywhere
KH is waiting at AAA to take over 2B

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 05, 2018, 9:08 AM Post
Mr Southpaw said:
Trade Thames (plus a MiLB'er) for Sonny Gray, the sign Moose.

Shaw can play 1B, 2B, 3B
Moose can play 1B, 3B
Jesus at 1B
H Perez can play everywhere
KH is waiting at AAA to take over 2B

Braun can play LF, RF, 1B, 3B, 2B, SS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 08, 2018, 10:12 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Brew4U said:
SRB said:
LeMahieu everyday at 2B, with Shaw at 3B and Perez getting lots of LHP starts at 3B would be fantastic.

Oh I disagree. We would have a very poor offense with this lineup, especially with Arcia at SS.

When Arcia's right as he was down the stretch and in the playoffs and the last 4 months of 2017, he's an offensive asset, not a liability. Hard to predict what your going to get but I'll take my chances with his talent that he's going to pick up where he left off.

Reports were that Arcia showed up ill-prepared and out of shape...
so what is he doing now so that MIL doesn't have to suffer through more of those types of ABs?

How close is Dubon to giving him some days off if he is slacking?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 7:39 PM Post
New rumors that we are in on Daniel Murphy.

Obviously the best 2B available if he is fully healthy again, but how many years do you give him?

Might actually make sense to sign him with the plan of moving him to 1B once he gets a little older and Hiura is ready.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 7:45 PM Post
There's an athletic article with more rumors on murphy. Anyone with a subscription mind providing a couple bullet points for cheap people like me that won't pay for it?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 7:47 PM Post
Murphy is terrible defensively if I remember right. His bat would fit well and maybe with how much we shift and how good Arcia is we could cover his liability.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 7:56 PM Post
Athletic article mentions both Moose and Murphy as possibilities. No specifics other then they liked what MM brought to the club last season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 8:02 PM Post
Individual that broke moose trade saying Brewers offered Murphy a 2yr contract.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 8:04 PM Post
jjfanec said:
Murphy is terrible defensively if I remember right. His bat would fit well and maybe with how much we shift and how good Arcia is we could cover his liability.

He was bad last season because he was coming off surgery and seemingly couldn't even run at full speed when he first started back in the majors. After the trade to the Cubs he had a neutral dWAR for what it's worth. I have never heard of him having a reputation as "terrible" on defense pre-2018. (Granted he's a bat-first player obviously)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 8:31 PM Post
Signing Murphy would most likely mean no Moose unless Shaw is on the move...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 8:32 PM Post
SRB said:
jjfanec said:

He was bad last season because he was coming off surgery and seemingly couldn't even run at full speed when he first started back in the majors. After the trade to the Cubs he had a neutral dWAR for what it's worth. I have never heard of him having a reputation as "terrible" on defense pre-2018. (Granted he's a bat-first player obviously)

Considering that the Brewers had Travis Shaw at 2nd alot down the stretch, I'd be fine with putting an actual 2B at that position even if he's viewed as below average defensively with how the Brewers utilize shifting. A healthy Murphy would be a great offensive boost as a 2B, and if Hiura finds himself in Milwaukee mid season Murphy would actually be a fantastic bench option that can pH or backup as a 1B assuming Thames will be dealt at some point this offseason.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 8:38 PM Post
Murphy would be a solid option in the #2 hole offensively. He wasn't great against lefties last year, but overall in his career he's hit them well. If he is fully back from injury, can play 2B at a passable level, and is willing to sign a short, affordable deal, he'd be a nice fit.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 8:40 PM Post
Murphy's projected offensive stats look pretty darn appealing.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 8:44 PM Post
Murphy turns 34 on April 1. He probably would be platooned with Perez to keep him fresh and taken out for defense late in games. With as many strikeout pitchers as the Brewers have, his diminished range is not that big of a deal. Big question is if he can return to the premium bat he was in 2017. If so, he's clearly a better hitter than Moustakas.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 8:48 PM Post
Negative WAR guy entering his age 34 season. The stat line would be nice to add in the order but I dont know if we want to keep adding older players to the lineup.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 37  Next  [ 721 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply