LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 37  Next  [ 721 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2B/3B Options

Offline  Re: 2B/3B Options
Posted: December 10, 2018, 9:50 PM Post
Global Moderator
wallus said:
Murphy's projected offensive stats look pretty darn appealing.

Daniel Murphy’s Steamer projections...

G	PA	HR	R	RBI	SB	BB%	K%	ISO	BABIP	AVG	OBP	SLG	wOBA	wRC+	BsR	Off	Def	WAR
146 616 20 74 79 3 6.7 % 12.6 % .178 .300 .286 .338 .464 .341 114 -0.6 10.1 -5.9 2.5

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 10:05 PM Post
Global Moderator
If the Brewers sign Daniel Murphy to a two year deal I hope they are either 1) convinced he has some positional flexibility to also play 1B and maybe even occasionally 3B, or 2) have made up their mind Keston Hiura is going to be part of a trade package for another big piece. I have been among Keston’s biggest fans since before he was even in the Brewers organization, but at present there isn’t a single place on the diamond for him outside of 2B. You simply can’t carry two players chained down to second base only on the 25 man roster for a significant portion of the season. Even if they had no intentions of calling him up this season, it would cause a strange situation for 2020. I guess they could make the deal with the idea of eventually trading Daniel Murphy, but that doesn’t seem like the Brewers M.O.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 10:23 PM Post
Daniel murphy definitely can play 1b, heck he probably fits better there than 2b. That's part of why i like murphy, he's great insurance for aguilar and his virtually certain regression

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 10:24 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Negative WAR guy entering his age 34 season. The stat line would be nice to add in the order but I dont know if we want to keep adding older players to the lineup.
his bat will be good and all you are doing is keeping 2nd base warm until Hiura is ready, so I’m ok with a 1 or 2 year deal.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 10:57 PM Post
SRB said:
jjfanec said:
Murphy is terrible defensively if I remember right. His bat would fit well and maybe with how much we shift and how good Arcia is we could cover his liability.

He was bad last season because he was coming off surgery and seemingly couldn't even run at full speed when he first started back in the majors. After the trade to the Cubs he had a neutral dWAR for what it's worth. I have never heard of him having a reputation as "terrible" on defense pre-2018. (Granted he's a bat-first player obviously)

Friends who are Cubs fans (not a great choice of friends I know) constantly talked about how terrible his defense was

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 11:01 PM Post
Eye Black said:
If the Brewers sign Daniel Murphy to a two year deal I hope they are either 1) convinced he has some positional flexibility to also play 1B and maybe even occasionally 3B, or 2) have made up their mind Keston Hiura is going to be part of a trade package for another big piece. I have been among Keston’s biggest fans since before he was even in the Brewers organization, but at present there isn’t a single place on the diamond for him outside of 2B. You simply can’t carry two players chained down to second base only on the 25 man roster for a significant portion of the season. Even if they had no intentions of calling him up this season, it would cause a strange situation for 2020. I guess they could make the deal with the idea of eventually trading Daniel Murphy, but that doesn’t seem like the Brewers M.O.

I'd be willing to go for three years for Murphy.

He's got a good hit-for-average tool, and he brings positional flexibility (has played 3B, 1B, LF in his major-league career) to the mix as well. He hits lots of doubles, and doesn't strike out much.

It's worth that sort of deal, IMO. 3 years, $19.5 million.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 11:03 PM Post
"Daniel Murphy, professional hitter"

Someone has to pick up the old Matt Stairs label. And a bat like Murphy's would sure be a huge step forward away from having quite so many all-or-nothing (read: high K, low BA/OBP) bats on the roster.

A 2- or 3-year deal seems a little large, but if he has a bit of Zobrist positional flexibility to him, he'd be a nice asset to have on the team for a while.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 11:30 PM Post
MNBrew said:

Someone has to pick up the old Matt Stairs label. And a bat like Murphy's would sure be a huge step forward away from having quite so many all-or-nothing (read: high K, low BA/OBP) bats on the roster.

A 2- or 3-year deal seems a little large, but if he has a bit of Zobrist positional flexibility to him, he'd be a nice asset to have on the team for a while.

Per Baseball-Reference, Murphy has played 2B, 1B, 3B, and LF in the majors.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... da08.shtml

I'd say he is flexible enough to be a decent starter for the first part of 2019. When Hiura forces his way up, Murphy them can be a backup option at all four positions.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 11:34 PM Post
Hard no on Murphy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 11:40 PM Post
Global Moderator
clancyphile said:
MNBrew said:

Per Baseball-Reference, Murphy has played 2B, 1B, 3B, and LF in the majors.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... da08.shtml

I'd say he is flexible enough to be a decent starter for the first part of 2019. When Hiura forces his way up, Murphy them can be a backup option at all four positions.

Clancy, throw the LF part out - Murphy hasn’t played out there since 2011, and he’s had a significant injury since then.

Murphy can handle some first base, and he can still hit - though I wouldn’t expect him to match his best years.

If Murphy is fully healed now, he may be ok at second base, but he’s just “a guy” with the glove.

I’ll take the bat if he’s healthy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 11:43 PM Post
^^ The whole reason you get him is for his bat. Anything he gives you -- or doesn't give away -- on defense is a plus.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 11, 2018, 2:03 AM Post
I like Murphy, but more in Thames' role rather than the 2b/Utility role. If we can jettison Thames and pick up another infielder in addition to Murphy that would be ideal.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 11, 2018, 7:24 AM Post
MNBrew said:
^^ The whole reason you get him is for his bat. Anything he gives you -- or doesn't give away -- on defense is a plus.

This.

When a .300 hitter who has routinely hit 30+ doubles, rarely strikes out, and averaged 15 homers, and won't cost any compensation is available, you say YES!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 11, 2018, 7:35 AM Post
502 to Right said:
Hard no on Murphy.

Care to elaborate? His bat is seemingly what this lineup is currently missing. Defense may be an issue, but I'll chalk up his bad defense last year to coming off an injury. He showed last year that while his bat may not be what it was during his prime run with the Nationals, he's still very dangerous. He also hasn't had drastic splits vs RHP and LHP up until last year, so hopefully last year was an an outlier.

Personally I'd prefer LeMahieu or Marwin Gonzalez, but it is quite possible that those two are either too expensive or are seeking too long of a contract. That leaves the Brewers choosing from guys like Murphy and Dozier.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 11, 2018, 8:02 AM Post
Robert Murray of The Athletic reports that the Brewers have expressed interest in Daniel Murphy.

Murray also confirms that the club is interested in re-signing Mike Moustakas, which has been reportedly previously. General manager David Stearns said Monday that the team is planning on Travis Shaw being their second baseman next season, but obviously the signing of Murphy or Moustakas would change that.

Source: The AthleticDec 10 - 9:30 PM

If they intend to have Shaw at 2B next season, how does signing Moose change that? Wouldn't that be the opposite, and if they signed Moose, Shaw WOULD be playing 2B...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 11, 2018, 8:06 AM Post
Oxy said:
I like Murphy, but more in Thames' role rather than the 2b/Utility role. If we can jettison Thames and pick up another infielder in addition to Murphy that would be ideal.

Murphy would fit perfectly into Thames' role when Hiura comes up - he'd be the LH 1b option / backup 2B / pH. That's why the may be looking to sign him for two seasons.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 11, 2018, 8:08 AM Post
Fear The Chorizo said:
Oxy said:

Murphy would fit perfectly into Thames' role when Hiura comes up - he'd be the LH 1b option / backup 2B / pH. That's why they may be looking to sign him for two seasons.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 11, 2018, 8:08 AM Post
turborickey said:
Robert Murray of The Athletic reports that the Brewers have expressed interest in Daniel Murphy.

Murray also confirms that the club is interested in re-signing Mike Moustakas, which has been reportedly previously. General manager David Stearns said Monday that the team is planning on Travis Shaw being their second baseman next season, but obviously the signing of Murphy or Moustakas would change that.

Source: The AthleticDec 10 - 9:30 PM

If they intend to have Shaw at 2B next season, how does signing Moose change that? Wouldn't that be the opposite, and if they signed Moose, Shaw WOULD be playing 2B...

I think Haudricourt may have caused a "Shaw at 2nd" snafu:

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 11, 2018, 8:48 AM Post
Yes MrAllen is correct, he came back 10 minutes later and corrected this tweet...saying multipel times that Shaw would be moving back to 3b.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 11, 2018, 9:07 AM Post
Fear The Chorizo said:
Oxy said:

Murphy would fit perfectly into Thames' role when Hiura comes up - he'd be the LH 1b option / backup 2B / pH. That's why the may be looking to sign him for two seasons.

It would just be tough to roster both him and Thames this year. Two lefties who are very limited defensively--and while Murphy traditionally hits lefties okay I'm guessing that won't be the case anymore in the twilight of his career (as evidenced by his numbers last year). Throw in Aguilar and Braun and Santana from the right side and that's a lot of very limited players. Too many for my liking.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 37  Next  [ 721 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply