LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 158 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Corey Kluber available?

Offline  Re: Corey Kluber available?
Posted: January 18, 2019, 5:01 PM Post
Global Moderator
A blog called Diamond Digest proposes the following, Five Potential Trades for Corey Kluber.

It includes this proposal: Milwaukee Brewers Trade OF Corey Ray, RHP Trey Supak, and OF Tristen Lutz for RHP Corey Kluber

That would be an unbelievable trade from the Brewers standpoint, but tough to imagine the Indians moving Kluber for that package.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 18, 2019, 5:10 PM Post
Eye Black said:
A blog called Diamond Digest proposes the following, Five Potential Trades for Corey Kluber.

It includes this proposal: Milwaukee Brewers Trade OF Corey Ray, RHP Trey Supak, and OF Tristen Lutz for RHP Corey Kluber

That would be an unbelievable trade from the Brewers standpoint, but tough to imagine the Indians moving Kluber for that package.

I like Ray and Lutz, but no way that happens....

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 18, 2019, 5:57 PM Post
Substitute Peralta for Supak and it might get done.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Corey Kluber available?
Posted: January 18, 2019, 6:18 PM Post
Global Moderator
I make that trade (and with rick's modification as well) for sure, personally.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 18, 2019, 7:37 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
I make that trade (and with rick's modification as well) for sure, personally.

Me too. Kluber is an ace with multiple years of control. He's exactly the type of pitcher the Brewers should be pursuing. They would be so lucky to get him for that proposed offer.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 18, 2019, 10:51 PM Post
Global Moderator
I dont think there's anyway the Indians would make that deal

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 31, 2019, 9:41 AM Post
Morosi tweeted we are still discussing Kluber?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 31, 2019, 10:08 AM Post
KCBrewerfan34 said:

I'm really starting to get an Ahab/White Whale vibe from Stearns and his pursuit of a #1 starter. The Brewers have literally been linked to every decent starter who has theoretically come onto the market for the last 1 1/2 years. Stearns doesn't seem to have any issue acquiring top players at other positions, but just hasn't been able to pull the trigger on a top starter, despite being linked to so many. Will this be the offseason that it finally happens?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 31, 2019, 10:13 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Stearns doesn't seem to have any issue acquiring top players at other positions, but just hasn't been able to pull the trigger on a top starter, despite being linked to so many. Will this be the offseason that it finally happens?

Personally I think it will be hard for Stearns to ever find a #1 starter or so to his liking price wise. He seems to be following the recent trend to spend big, whether that be draft/FA/trade, on positional players that are less risky investments and get pitching by more creative means. It is much easier to take a Chacin/Miley and tweak them to have success you would not expect. Hitters are more face value. What you see is what you get.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 31, 2019, 10:24 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Stearns doesn't seem to have any issue acquiring top players at other positions, but just hasn't been able to pull the trigger on a top starter, despite being linked to so many. Will this be the offseason that it finally happens?

Personally I think it will be hard for Stearns to ever find a #1 starter or so to his liking price wise. He seems to be following the recent trend to spend big, whether that be draft/FA/trade, on positional players that are less risky investments and get pitching by more creative means. It is much easier to take a Chacin/Miley and tweak them to have success you would not expect. Hitters are more face value. What you see is what you get.

I totally get what you are saying, as that is exactly the way they have operated. At the same time, though, while some of the talk may be just smoke, there's so much of it that there has to be some fire there. Perhaps position players are simply easier to acquire via trade? Perhaps the Brewers just have a different value system on pitchers than the other teams in the league do, and that explains why they haven't been able to make a deal for one. Obviously every GM in the league would like to acquire a top arm at his price. Who knows? Maybe Stearns is on someone no one s even thinking about.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 31, 2019, 10:31 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

I totally get what you are saying, as that is exactly the way they have operated. At the same time, though, while some of the talk may be just smoke, there's so much of it that there has to be some fire there. Perhaps position players are simply easier to acquire via trade? Perhaps the Brewers just have a different value system on pitchers than the other teams in the league do, and that explains why they haven't been able to make a deal for one. Obviously every GM in the league would like to acquire a top arm at his price. Who knows? Maybe Stearns is on someone no one s even thinking about.

Blake Snell anyone?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 31, 2019, 11:01 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Doing what Chacin or Miley did last year is not the norm for back of the rotation types on short deals.... extremely rare to sign these type of guys and have them perform so well. Best not to plan on that happening yearly, be it Stearns or anyone else.
That being said, I expect Miley and a better 2B option not named Hiura to be on the team come late March.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 31, 2019, 11:56 AM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Our pitching staff should include quite a few guys who either came up through the Brewer farm or were picked up while they were still in the minors. I think Stearns wants do everything he can to load up every position at every level of the farm and see what shakes out. Let the guys play things out, and when what he sees as a tremendous value emerges, he jumps (Yelich, Cain, Grandal).

The time he veered from this was Schoop, where he kind of made a move to make a move, and he's admitted that was a mistake.

If this holds true, he will only get a "#1/TOR" pitcher when the price looks like a good deal for the Brewers. It's good that he's in on every guy who would be a significant upgrade to our current rotation. There's no harm in testing the waters, and he seems to be sticking to his guns and not overpaying. I'd love to see Kluber as a Brewer, but only if it's in a deal that makes sense for the Brewers and doesn't kill them long-term.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 31, 2019, 12:26 PM Post
rickh150 said:
MrTPlush said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Doing what Chacin or Miley did last year is not the norm for back of the rotation types on short deals.... extremely rare to sign these type of guys and have them perform so well. Best not to plan on that happening yearly, be it Stearns or anyone else.
That being said, I expect Miley and a better 2B option not named Hiura to be on the team come late March.

Actually it happens all the time every single year and some teams always find ways to make guys overachieve. Cardinals did it for years.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 31, 2019, 12:42 PM Post
[
That being said, I expect Miley and a better 2B option not named Hiura to be on the team come late March.[/quote]

Actually it happens all the time every single year and some teams always find ways to make guys overachieve. Cardinals did it for years.[/quote]

Overachieve? Sure. How could I go against that?
Pitching like a #1 type? Rare. Both Chacin and Miley were doing that in the second half, and they needed both of their elite performances to not only win the division, but even just to make the playoffs.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 31, 2019, 1:15 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
Maybe Stearns is trying to recreate the Cain/Yelich scenario from last year with trading for Kluber and signing Kuechel on the same day. Maybe?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 31, 2019, 2:55 PM Post
JackNicholson1974 said:
Maybe Stearns is trying to recreate the Cain/Yelich scenario from last year with trading for Kluber and signing Kuechel on the same day. Maybe?

Wouldn't that be incredible? I wouldn't be able to get to sleep that evening.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 31, 2019, 3:01 PM Post
JackNicholson1974 said:

Or trading for both Kluber and Bumgarner...

Would be a blast to be able to be a big market.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 31, 2019, 3:32 PM Post
In that situation, would you be willing to trade Hiura (plus others) to get Kluber (in addition to signing Keuchel). And then with your excess pitching, turn around and trade one or both of Peralta/Woodruff (plus others) to get Whit Merrifield? That's some video game GM'ing, but you'd end up with a ridiculous rotation and lineup.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Corey Kluber available?
Posted: January 31, 2019, 3:46 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
KCBrewerfan34 said:

I'm really starting to get an Ahab/White Whale vibe from Stearns and his pursuit of a #1 starter. The Brewers have literally been linked to every decent starter who has theoretically come onto the market for the last 1 1/2 years. Stearns doesn't seem to have any issue acquiring top players at other positions, but just hasn't been able to pull the trigger on a top starter, despite being linked to so many. Will this be the offseason that it finally happens?

I honestly think this is more media driven than anything. Media thinks the Brewers absolutely need a top of the rotation starter, so they hear whispers that the Brewers are talking about them, which they probably are but if a deal gets done, they want it done on their terms at their price. Media then takes this interest and inflates it to a level that Stearns is desperately looking around for a top of the rotation starter.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 158 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply