LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 158 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Corey Kluber available?

Offline  Re: Corey Kluber available?
Posted: January 31, 2019, 3:47 PM Post
Of course, the trade and FA signing would have to make cents. Maybe 3 years for 45 for Kuechel and a package of Ray, Peralta, and Lutz.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Corey Kluber available?
Posted: January 31, 2019, 4:37 PM Post
rickh150 said:
Of course, the trade and FA signing would have to make cents. Maybe 3 years for 45 for Kuechel and a package of Ray, Peralta, and Lutz.

I don't think a package of Ray, Peralta and Lutz gets it done for Kluber (assuming that is who you are talking about). I'm guessing you'd have to go Hiura, Woodruff and Lutz, or a package of Burnes, Ray and Zack Brown.

Boy, in that scenario - you'd be taking on at least 15M a year (for at least three years) with Keuchel and over 17M a year for the next three years with Kluber. That's at least 32M we'd be adding to our payroll. It's fun to dream about, but I just can't see a small franchise like the Brewers being able to take on that salary.

It would no doubt make us the favorites in the National League heading into 2019 though.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 31, 2019, 4:39 PM Post
I'd say the Brewers' rotation yet again profiles as quietly solid if not surprisingly above average. Stearns/Counsell together know what they've got and what they believe the guys are capable of doing. But there are no "ace" names, and that so-called deficiency is what triggers the predictors, both for low standings projections and player acquisition speculation.

Landing Kluber would be a pretty huge deal. I'd be pumped if that -- or Keuchel -- happened. I really like that Stearns is showing over time that he'll give up only what he feels is an appropriate return.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 31, 2019, 4:53 PM Post
JackNicholson1974 said:
Maybe Stearns is trying to recreate the Cain/Yelich scenario from last year with trading for Kluber and signing Kuechel on the same day. Maybe?

If he pulled that off, forget AmFam Field. Just call it Stearns Stadium.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 31, 2019, 5:02 PM Post
So we've gone from hoping to get Miley to getting both Kluber and Kuechel. Awesome!

Did you notice the Brewers were reported to be in the mix for virtually every SP last off-season? How many did they get? Zero. How about at the trade deadline? Correct, zip. That's not to say they won't trade for someone, just keep in mind chances are very slim.

Just doing my community service, I don't want anyone to collapse on me when April comes around and nothing has happened.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 31, 2019, 5:20 PM Post
madtownhawk said:
Boy, in that scenario - you'd be taking on at least 15M a year (for at least three years) with Keuchel and over 17M a year for the next three years with Kluber. That's at least 32M we'd be adding to our payroll. It's fun to dream about, but I just can't see a small franchise like the Brewers being able to take on that salary.

It would no doubt make us the favorites in the National League heading into 2019 though.

You might be able to subtract some of that if you can move Anderson, Thames (pure salary dump - given his current lack of trade value) and Albers (not likely unless you eat salary) but given the results you might get, it would be worth it - if you don't pay "too much" (subjective) in a Kluber trade.

Of course, it's easy for me to say - it's not my money...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 31, 2019, 6:31 PM Post
Have to think We see a new pitcher by our first spring training game

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 31, 2019, 7:27 PM Post
I think Brewers pecking order for pitching:

1.Kuechel ....same or slightly less money you will take on with other options but leaves system intact for later.

2. Kluber .... will cost a price tag plus some key prospects. Maybe Huira who is suppose to take over at 2B sooner than later

3. MadBum.... only 1 year of control plus price tag & prospects.

4. Gio.... last option if others fall through. Cheaper option & less ceiling but solid lefty

That’s just way I see it. If you are going to pay the price tag, it is preferred to do so without losing top tier prospects. Sure Kuechel is different pitcher than Kluber & not the per dominant arm talent but guy can pitch

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 31, 2019, 7:28 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
So we've gone from hoping to get Miley to getting both Kluber and Kuechel. Awesome!

Did you notice the Brewers were reported to be in the mix for virtually every SP last off-season? How many did they get? Zero. How about at the trade deadline? Correct, zip. That's not to say they won't trade for someone, just keep in mind chances are very slim.

Just doing my community service, I don't want anyone to collapse on me when April comes around and nothing has happened.

Chacin, Miley...they got their NLCS game 6 and 7 starters last offseason. Stearns also had an offer out to Darvish, although who knows how realistic it was. Stearns got starting pitching that performed well for them, he just didn't get the name guys that suffocate the offseason chatter rooms. I get your point overall, though. I think the inhouse options look very good - but they have to add a lefty starter, imo.

Given the questioning Stearns got for adding 2 OFs last winter to a roster supposedly loaded with them, I fully expect at least one more starter to be brought in since there seems to be plenty of depth in that area this offseason.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 01, 2019, 7:38 AM Post
Other players on not so good teams that could be available:
Marcus Stroman
Michael Fulmer
Jose Urena
Danny Duffy

I’ve been on the Fulmer train for awhile but his injury history isn’t the best. Urena could be a stud if he could be a bit more consistent. Just was thinking of a few players not really being reported on as that’s usually how Stearns does things. Not quite the needle movers Kluber is though.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 01, 2019, 7:52 AM Post
Global Moderator
YoungGeezy1 said:
I think Brewers pecking order for pitching:

1.Kuechel ....same or slightly less money you will take on with other options but leaves system intact for later.

2. Kluber .... will cost a price tag plus some key prospects. Maybe Huira who is suppose to take over at 2B sooner than later

3. MadBum.... only 1 year of control plus price tag & prospects.

4. Gio.... last option if others fall through. Cheaper option & less ceiling but solid lefty

That’s just way I see it. If you are going to pay the price tag, it is preferred to do so without losing top tier prospects. Sure Kuechel is different pitcher than Kluber & not the per dominant arm talent but guy can pitch

ThisIsMyCrew said:
Marcus Stroman
Michael Fulmer
Jose Urena
Danny Duffy

I’ve been on the Fulmer train for awhile but his injury history isn’t the best. Urena could be a stud if he could be a bit more consistent. Just was thinking of a few players not really being reported on as that’s usually how Stearns does things. Not quite the needle movers Kluber is though.

A few more starting pitchers I could see being traded either now or before the trade deadline...

Robbie Ray (2 years remaining on contract)

Zack Greinke (may look to move a portion of his salary)

Zack Godley (had a down year but maintained a decent FIP and was very good two years ago)

Zack Wheeler (1 year remaining on contract)

Marco Gonzales (Mariners FO claims they aren’t likely moving him due to control, but we’ll see)

Ross Stripling (good pitcher that may get squeezed out of a starting role in the Dodgers rotation, especially if they add more SPs)

By the way a completely random note, I just realized the Marlins still owe Wei-Yin Chen $42 million over the next two seasons... huh.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 01, 2019, 8:14 AM Post
ThisIsMyCrew said:
Marcus Stroman
Michael Fulmer
Jose Urena
Danny Duffy

I would love to be able to grab Fulmer on the cheap, and hope for a rebound. That stuff, when right, is legit. Stroman also has a ton of talent, but a rough injury history lately.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2019, 1:42 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
ThisIsMyCrew said:
Marcus Stroman
Michael Fulmer
Jose Urena
Danny Duffy

I would love to be able to grab Fulmer on the cheap, and hope for a rebound. That stuff, when right, is legit. Stroman also has a ton of talent, but a rough injury history lately.

I'm guessing that none of those teams are that interested in trading those guys right now when their value is probably at its low point. I'm sure they are all hoping for great first half performances from those guys though, so that they can get a ton for them at the deadline.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 11, 2019, 8:57 AM Post
According to Jon Morosi of MLB.com, the Indians are unlikely to trade star right-hander Corey Kluber.

Despite interest from a variety of clubs including the Dodgers, Padres, Brewers, Yankees and Reds, trade talks have quieted to a whisper. Morosi reports that there is "almost no chance" Kluber will be dealt before the start of spring training. The 32-year-old hurler remains one of the most dominant right-handed pitchers in all of baseball and has been on average the sixth starting pitcher off the board in fantasy drafts.

Source: MLB.comFeb 10 - 10:31 PM

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 11, 2019, 9:05 AM Post
turborickey said:
According to Jon Morosi of MLB.com, the Indians are unlikely to trade star right-hander Corey Kluber.

Despite interest from a variety of clubs including the Dodgers, Padres, Brewers, Yankees and Reds, trade talks have quieted to a whisper. Morosi reports that there is "almost no chance" Kluber will be dealt before the start of spring training. The 32-year-old hurler remains one of the most dominant right-handed pitchers in all of baseball and has been on average the sixth starting pitcher off the board in fantasy drafts.

Source: MLB.comFeb 10 - 10:31 PM

Guessing the cost was just too high. The Indians are cursed to go into the season with their great pitching staff, very good infield, and a AAA-esque OF. That horrid OF is going to be that team's downfall.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 11, 2019, 9:14 AM Post
I would almost wonder if our backup OFs is better than Cleveland's starting OF

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 11, 2019, 9:31 AM Post
stalton said:

I would feel confident in saying that Gamel, Perez, Thames and Spangenberg would all start in Cleveland's OF. Probably Tyrone Taylor as well.

Last edited by Joey Meyer Bombs on February 11, 2019, 9:46 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 11, 2019, 9:33 AM Post
I agree think the Indians were asking for the moon on Kluber and DS held his ground.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 11, 2019, 11:38 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
stalton said:

I would feel confident in saying that Gamel, Perez, Thames and Spangenberg would all start in Cleveland's OF. Probably Tyrone Taylor as well.

Yeah, but in their division they have time to see who actually produces in the OF and then trade for an outfielder (which is probably the easiest position after relievers to trade for). Plus they save 3.5 months of salary on whoever they trade for (which sounds like it is an issue for Cleveland - or I would hope to just send them Thames for salary relief to play OF [wink] ).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 11, 2019, 1:09 PM Post
I would guess that Thames defensively would still be their worst option in the OF. Dude is a butcher out there...

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 158 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply