LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 158 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Corey Kluber available?

Offline  What about Corey Kluber

Posted: November 20, 2018, 11:24 AM Post
The Indians are in a payroll bind with 127 million already committed for 2019, not including arbitration to Trevor Bauer and Francisco Lindor. (Their all time high payroll was last year at 134 million) They have plenty of depth in their rotation behind Kluber with Bauer, Clevinger, Carrasco, Shane Bieber etc. They also have an alarming lack of outfielders on their roster. Brantley, Chisenhall, and Melky Cabrera have all filed for free agency, leaving a glut of players with barely a .700 OPS for the outfield. They also lost relievers Cody Allen, Andrew Miller and Oliver Perez to Free Agency.

The Brewers by contrast have a surplus of cost controlled outfielders: Santana, Keon Broxton and Trey Stokes, Corey Ray. They also have a 40 man roster crunch and surplus of cheap arms both starters and relievers that could be intriguing: Brandon Woodruff, Junior Guerra, Zach Davies, Taylor Williams, Adrian Houser, Marcos Diplan, Trey Supak.

It would be a gut wrencher to ship out the talent to acquire Kluber (Santana, Broxton, Ray, Woodruff, Williams and Guerra hypothetically), but then again two time Cy Young award winners with three years of team control don't become available for trade very often.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What about Corey Kluber

Posted: November 21, 2018, 2:20 PM Post
Seems like a lot for a guy who lets a guy like Suter hit an absolute bomb.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Corey Kluber available?

Posted: December 10, 2018, 2:33 PM Post
Morosi says we're in it (Corey Ray appealing to the Tribe), obviously others interested in CK. This is the deal DS needs to go extra for as long as Huira and Burnes aren't in the deal.

Ray, Santana and Peralta along with our CB pick for Kluber??

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2018, 2:41 PM Post
I said in the other thread that I'd offer Ray, Burnes, Peralta and Thames for Kluber. Yes Peralta and Burnes is a lot. But so was giving up Brinson, Harrison, Diaz, Yamo for the MVP.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2018, 2:43 PM Post
Burnes is a "NO" for me. I might stretch to Woodruff. That's a might

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Corey Kluber available?

Posted: December 10, 2018, 2:48 PM Post
The value on young starters is just too high to give up two in one deal. I think Ray, Burnes and Peralta for Kluber is a massive overpay. Plus, the Indians have Kluber and Bauer on the market because not only are they trying to save money they have too many starting pitching options. I could totally see a package headlined by Ray and Santana or even one of the Brewers' relievers (Knebel?).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2018, 2:55 PM Post
Ray, Santana, Peralta and Comp A pick would be my top offer.

I would also be willing to eat Kipnis as a bridge to Hiura if they took back Thames/Anderson

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2018, 2:57 PM Post
I'd do Ray and Santana right now!

No way I move Burnes AND Peralta. In fact, I wouldn't move Burnes at all, and I'm not thrilled to let Peralta go either.

I enjoy the fact that we have 3 major league ready guys to anchor our rotation this year, trading them away, as a small market club is not wise.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2018, 3:01 PM Post
Kluber is a potential difference maker for a team that finished one game away from the World Series. I'd trade Peralta or Woodruff plus Ray for him. Not giving up Hiura or Burnes though

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2018, 3:01 PM Post
turborickey said:

No way I move Burnes AND Peralta. In fact, I wouldn't move Burnes at all, and I'm not thrilled to let Peralta go either.

I enjoy the fact that we have 3 major league ready guys to anchor our rotation this year, trading them away, as a small market club is not wise.

This is about where I'm at with the 2 pitchers. Burnes is a hard no in almost all cases. Trout, Betts, Degrom, etc...I'd consider it, but Kluber isn't in that category and none of those targets are realistic right now. Burnes and Hiura are going to be special players, they are in a tier well above any prospects or the other 2 SP. Peralta and Woodruff are more expendable in the right deal. Someone of Kluber's caliber might be the right deal, we'll see if it works out.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2018, 3:03 PM Post
Since 2014 his lowest WAR (according to fangraphs) is 5.1 with a high of 7.4 but you don't think we should give up anything for him besides our #2 prospect (who isn't rated in the top 100). You can't get a Cy Young caliber pitcher for multiple years (team controlled through 2021) without giving up something of value.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2018, 3:04 PM Post
turborickey said:

Would you do Ray, Santana and Knebel for Kluber? I think that makes sense for both teams. Indians need relief help, and Knebel would slot in well there. Would suck to lose him as a Brewer fan, but I think I'd rather trade an ML reliever than one of the young starters.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2018, 3:06 PM Post
PDCBalla said:
Since 2014 his lowest WAR (according to fangraphs) is 5.1 with a high of 7.4 but you don't think we should give up anything for him besides our #2 prospect (who isn't rated in the top 100). You can't get a Cy Young caliber pitcher for multiple years (team controlled through 2021) without giving up something of value.

Top prospect lists are for fans. GMs could care less. Ray is a young (24) 5-tool OF who was a very high pick and is finally living up to that potential. Value is high.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2018, 3:09 PM Post
He strikes out way too much to have as much value as you think he has.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2018, 3:13 PM Post
Tom
@Haudricourt
Someone familiar with what Indians are looking for in a deal for Corey Kluber tells me #Brewers could satisfy their needs. I'm just not sure how #Brewers would squeeze Kluber's $17 million salary into their budget. Seems to me they'd have to deal another salary away (Thames?).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2018, 3:14 PM Post
PDCBalla said:
Tom
@Haudricourt
Someone familiar with what Indians are looking for in a deal for Corey Kluber tells me #Brewers could satisfy their needs. I'm just not sure how #Brewers would squeeze Kluber's $17 million salary into their budget. Seems to me they'd have to deal another salary away (Thames?).

Money would hardly seem as a problem. They are loaded with expendable guys they could trade to make space. Anderson and Thames being the main guys.

I would easily give up Peralta or Woodruff to make it happen, plus other decent pieces if that is all it takes is one of those two headline. I will roll the dice on Kluber staying healthy and not aging when it doesn't take Burnes or Hiura. Dude has been one of the best pitchers in baseball for half a decade.

Last edited by MrTPlush on December 10, 2018, 3:19 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2018, 3:15 PM Post
PDCBalla said:
He strikes out way too much to have as much value as you think he has.

Florial has struck out anywhere from 29 to 35 percent of the time in the last 3 seasons, a very similar K rate to Ray, while Ray has shown quite a bit more power. Verdugo has shown high contact but little power. Nearly every prospect has warts.

Kluber would be fun, but trading two MLB-ready starting pitchers for him I just think is cutting off their head despite their face.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2018, 3:18 PM Post
https://twitter.com/Haudricourt/status/ ... 5044120576

Indians needs this offseason are OF, OF, RP, OF, C, 1B and more OF. A package of Ray, Santana, Thames and Knebel for Kluber and Kipnis makes some sense.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2018, 3:20 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
A package of Ray, Santana, Thames and Knebel for Kluber and Kipnis makes some sense.

For who? Just the Brewers? They would have to be mighty high on Ray and mighty high on Santana. The former no one was high on last offseason before he stunk up the joint.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2018, 3:21 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
PDCBalla said:
Tom
@Haudricourt

Money would hardly seem as a problem. They are loaded with expendable guys they could trade to make space. Anderson and Thames being the main guys.

It's an obstacle, but you're right probably not a huge problem. Both guys have more value than their contracts. I know many are down on Thames, but he's put up good numbers when healthy and getting consistent at bats. He's better than quite a few DH's in the AL and could even be a candidate for a tanking team to give consistent AB and flip at the deadline...as he has the cheap option year.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 158 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply