LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 75 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Seattle Mariners

Offline  Re: Seattle Mariners

Posted: December 03, 2018, 11:47 AM Post
I'm not so sure Seager is a realistic fit for the Brewers. If Stearns wasn't keen on paying Schoop for substandard production then I'd be real surprised if he'd see Seager any differently. I do think Seager will rebound some and he's a solid defender but it would seem like too much of a gamble at what appears to be a pretty maxed out payroll.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2018, 7:03 PM Post
NievesNoNO said:
I'm not so sure Seager is a realistic fit for the Brewers. If Stearns wasn't keen on paying Schoop for substandard production then I'd be real surprised if he'd see Seager any differently. I do think Seager will rebound some and he's a solid defender but it would seem like too much of a gamble at what appears to be a pretty maxed out payroll.

I think the salary would definitely have to be offset somehow, either by trading out excess baggage (like Anderson) and/or filling another hole cheap (e.g. Gonzales). All depends on whether they think Seager's 2018 was a fluke (even then he wasn't exactly post-trade Schoop bad)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2018, 7:12 PM Post
I wouldn't bet my mortgage on it, but I'm fairly sure Hernan Perez could outproduce Kyle Seager in 2019

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2018, 8:48 PM Post
3and2Fastball said:
I wouldn't bet my mortgage on it, but I'm fairly sure Hernan Perez could outproduce Kyle Seager in 2019

Let me know if you change your mind about the mortgage! [laughing]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2018, 2:09 PM Post
Would it make sense for the Brewers to look at going after Haniger while taking on Gordon to lower the cost? Gordon is owed 27.1M over the next 2 years with a 1M buyout in 2021. Gordon has hit RHP very well and could theoretically pair nicely with Perez at 2nd.

Haniger would give us quite best OF in the MLB, he only question being what do you do with Braun or Aguilar if those 3 OF are player 140+ games each.

All in all for a about ~14M in payroll you’d add a 3rd Allstar OF and a dynamic LH platoon 2B who can also play the OF.

Edit: not insinuating that we could get both for nothing, just a lesser value package because of Gordon’s contract.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2018, 3:30 PM Post
Vollbc74 said:
Would it make sense for the Brewers to look at going after Haniger while taking on Gordon to lower the cost? Gordon is owed 27.1M over the next 2 years with a 1M buyout in 2021. Gordon has hit RHP very well and could theoretically pair nicely with Perez at 2nd.

Haniger would give us quite best OF in the MLB, he only question being what do you do with Braun or Aguilar if those 3 OF are player 140+ games each.

All in all for a about ~14M in payroll you’d add a 3rd Allstar OF and a dynamic LH platoon 2B who can also play the OF.

Edit: not insinuating that we could get both for nothing, just a lesser value package because of Gordon’s contract.

Gordon is arguably falling off from being an MLB-caliber player. He couldn't crack a .700 OPS last year against RHP even though that's his better matchup as noted.

So you're basically signing Haniger to a 4 year, $50-60 million dollar deal (pending what Haniger gets in arby) and getting a replacement-level 2B/OF along with him that you are forced to put in the lineup.

I get the idea but we aren't the team for that right now. Not with our surplus of OF already.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2018, 3:36 PM Post
bill hAll Star said:
Vollbc74 said:

Gordon is arguably falling off from being an MLB-caliber player. He couldn't crack a .700 OPS last year against RHP even though that's his better matchup as noted.

So you're basically signing Haniger to a 4 year, $50-60 million dollar deal (pending what Haniger gets in arby) and getting a replacement-level 2B/OF along with him that you are forced to put in the lineup.

I get the idea but we aren't the team for that right now. Not with our surplus of OF already.

Not everyone has to be this huge ops guy. There is something to be said for simply getting on base. Obviously you need some boopers. Not saying Gordon is the right fit but if he gets on base who cares if they are all singles. Need those people.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2018, 3:55 PM Post
bill hAll Star said:
Vollbc74 said:

Not everyone has to be this huge ops guy. There is something to be said for simply getting on base. Obviously you need some boopers. Not saying Gordon is the right fit but if he gets on base who cares if they are all singles. Need those people.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2018, 4:20 PM Post
ThisIsMyCrew said:
bill hAll Star said:
Vollbc74 said:

Gordon doesn’t get on base. If you’re weak and fast, take a walk good god. He’s be valuable if he did get on base

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2018, 4:34 PM Post
Not everyone has to be this huge ops guy. There is something to be said for simply getting on base. Obviously you need some boopers. Not saying Gordon is the right fit but if he gets on base who cares if they are all singles. Need those people.[/quote]

Gordon doesn’t get on base. If you’re weak and fast, take a walk good god. He’s be valuable if he did get on base[/quote]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2018, 6:12 PM Post
Gordon is the prototypical player who relies 100% on his speed and is now entering his 30s and quickly falling off a cliff.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2018, 8:39 PM Post
If the Crew got Haniger, this could be an interesting lineup:

cf: Cain
lf: Yelich
3b: Aguilar
rf: Haniger
1b: Braun
2b: Shaw
c: Pina
ss: Arcia

I could live with that for 2019... [smile]

Or, option B:

Mariners get:
1B Jesus Aguilar
RHP Chase Anderson

Brewers get:
3B Kyle Seager
OF Mitch Haniger

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2018, 9:03 PM Post
Jesus at 3B and Shaw at 2B all season, with Braun at 1B? Better get some strike-out pitchers to start games...

yeeeeesus!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2018, 9:47 PM Post
turborickey said:
Jesus at 3B and Shaw at 2B all season, with Braun at 1B? Better get some strike-out pitchers to start games...

yeeeeesus!

If the shift is not banned, then this lineup could work. Shaw was adequate at second base, and if he performs as he has in 2017 and 2018... then we can take our time with Keston Hiura...

Of course, we could flip Braun and Jesus across the infield... [wink]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 07, 2018, 10:16 AM Post
SRB said:
Gordon is the prototypical player who relies 100% on his speed and is now entering his 30s and quickly falling off a cliff.

2 years ago he stole 60 bases, Last season he stole 30 while dealing with a toe injury that hampered his ability to get on base at his normal rate (Infield singles).

He is a gold glove 2B with flexibility to play all 3 OF spots and possibly SS in a pinch

Aguilar, Anderson, Brown, Ray for Gordon and Haniger

Cain - CF
Gordon - 2B
Yelich - LF
Haniger - RF
Shaw - 3B
Braun - 1B
Pina - C
Arcia - SS
P

Perez can platoon with both Gordon and Shaw as the RH. Gordon does not block Hiura in the long term and becomes a very good LH utility man (albeit expensive) when Keston is ready.

When you factor in outgoing salary only adds ~12m over the next 2 years

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 75 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply