LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next  [ 130 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Mike Moustakas News

Offline  Mike Moustakas News

Posted: November 27, 2018, 8:17 AM Post
Jon Heyman of Fancred Sports reports that the Cardinals have Mike Moustakas "on (their) radar."

Heyman adds that the Brewers have interest in bringing Moustakas back, although that might only be the case if they decide to non-tender Jonathan Schoop. Moustakas finished with a .251/.315/.459 batting line with 28 home runs and 95 RBI last season for the Royals and Brewers, although he hit just .234/.306/.423 from May 1 on. Still, the 30-year-old should be able to net a multi-year contract this offseason after having to settle for a one-year deal last winter.

Source: Jon Heyman on TwitterNov 26 - 9:32 PM

Offline  Re: Mike Moustakas News

Posted: November 27, 2018, 9:32 AM Post
I hope Moustakas is a back up plan for the Brewers. He's an ok player, but would love a higher OBP guy even if it means giving up some slugging.

Posted: November 28, 2018, 7:18 AM Post
long ball said:
I hope Moustakas is a back up plan for the Brewers. He's an ok player, but would love a higher OBP guy even if it means giving up some slugging.

Trade Thames for a bag of balls and sing Moose. Jesus/Shaw at 1b.

or

Trade Thames and Jesus and sign Moose. Braun and Shaw at 1b. We could actually get something for Jesus.

Posted: November 28, 2018, 8:05 AM Post
Mr Southpaw said:
long ball said:

or

Trade Thames and Jesus and sign Moose. Braun and Shaw at 1b. We could actually get something for Jesus.

I'm not so sure why you're trading Aguilar to make room for Moose...

Posted: November 28, 2018, 8:26 AM Post
Dadbauer said:
Mr Southpaw said:
long ball said:

or

I'm not so sure why you're trading Aguilar to make room for Moose...

Make room for Braun, which makes room in the outfield.

Posted: November 28, 2018, 8:58 AM Post
This would be a "meh" move to me. I wouldn't hate it or love it.

Actually it would mean Schoop has zero chance of being offered arby. So I guess that would be cool.

I don't see it though. It would create a problem regarding Hiura...with nowhere to play. Sure their little logjam worked last year, but that was for half a season and it didn't require a multi year commitment to someone. Not saying they couldn't make a move to fix that (trade Hiura or Aguilar/Shaw), but I just don't think that type of scenario is likely. And no...I don't see then creating a logjam by signing a guy to a multi-year deal. Mid-season rental sure, but not like this.

Posted: November 28, 2018, 9:16 AM Post
Trading Thames and resigning Moose gives you a lot of platoon/positional flexibility

1B: Aggy (130g) Shaw (32g)
2B: Huira (90g) Shaw (55g) Perez (17g)
3B: Moose (120g) Shaw (42g)
SS: Arcia (120g) Dubon (42g)

Posted: November 28, 2018, 9:59 AM Post
Pass on Moustakas. Historically low OBP guy who has his ups and downs. Put Shaw back at third base and invest the Moustakas money in other areas.

Posted: November 28, 2018, 11:41 AM Post
Vollbc74 said:
Trading Thames and resigning Moose gives you a lot of platoon/positional flexibility

CC would die before allowing Perez to get fewer than 300 ABs

Online  Re: Mike Moustakas News

Posted: November 28, 2018, 11:50 AM Post
Devinep said:
Vollbc74 said:

+1. The only way that doesn't happen is if Sogard has a mediocre or better ST and makes the club.

Posted: December 18, 2018, 2:53 PM Post
Mike Puma of the New York Post reports that last week the Mets discussed the idea of free agent Mike Moustakas to bolster their infield.

This was before the Mets signed Wilson Ramos, so it's unclear how things might have changed in regard to budget and roster priority. The club still needs depth for the outfield, but securing some corner-infield insurance makes some sense. Todd Frazier could always slide over to first base if Peter Alonso isn't quite ready or struggles in his first stint in the majors, but there's probably a better fit for Moustakas elsewhere. The 30-year-old batted .251/.315/.459 with 28 home runs and 95 RBI over 152 games last season for the Royals and Brewers.

Source: Mike Puma on TwitterDec 18 - 2:40 PM

Posted: December 18, 2018, 8:34 PM Post
I think it is unlikely we get him back, especially since he past up the mutual option at such a high amount. The only chance is if we have Shaw on the block, and we are looking to fill his absence. It would take a 3 or 4 year deal at 15 million to get his interest, though, which would be a real stretch.

Posted: December 18, 2018, 10:53 PM Post
Global Moderator
I hope Moustakas signs elsewhere. He's a solid hitter, but we've really got his position (3B) covered for a few years (and cheaper) with Shaw.

I also don't like Moustakas' body/build - he looks like the kind of guy who could age very quickly. He's not an asset on the bases, and he's only going to get worse. He doesn't walk that much to begin with, and I could see him really having problems if he loses a half step and/or a bit of bat speed.

His body sort of reminds me of Todd Frazier. Frazier had a good power bat and was a good fielder, but really has struggled since he turned 30. But at least Frazier walks a lot. I could see Moose becoming a .220 hitter with some power - but little else.

However, I certainly won't freak if Moustakas resigns. I'm sure the front office has a better feel for the guy's skills than someone like myself. And in the end, if we can limit the years and dollars, it could be a good deal. But we shall see.

Posted: December 19, 2018, 10:40 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
Devinep said:
Vollbc74 said:

+1. The only way that doesn't happen is if Sogard has a mediocre or better ST and makes the club.

Sogard could go 20/20 in his ST at-bats and should be NOWHERE near the big league team to begin this season. I'm sure he's a great guy and all, but he can't play at a major league caliber. Last year wasn't just a down year, it was horrid.

Posted: December 19, 2018, 11:41 AM Post
BraunFanatic said:

Sogard could go 20/20 in his ST at-bats and should be NOWHERE near the big league team to begin this season.

Just how sure of that are you?

Posted: January 09, 2019, 11:58 AM Post
According to MLB.com's Jon Morosi, the White Sox and Phillies are monitoring the Mike Moustakas market.

It sounds like Moustakas is the fallback plan for each club should Manny Machado sign elsewhere. Morosi also pegs the Padres as a "potential suitor" for Moustakas, or a potential trade destination for Maikel Franco if the Phillies wind up landing Machado -- believed to be their top target, even ahead of Bryce Harper. Moustakas, 30, batted .251/.315/.459 with 28 home runs and 95 RBI in 162 games last year between the Royals and Brewers.

Source: MLB.comJan 8 - 8:38 PM

Posted: January 09, 2019, 1:26 PM Post
From the guy on Twitter that broke the orginal Moustakas trade to the Brewers:

Hearing #Brewers have sent a contract offer to 3B Mike Moustakas
11:08 AM - 9 Jan 2019 from Port Orange, FL

https://twitter.com/bucksbrett/status/1 ... 8523045889

Posted: January 09, 2019, 1:38 PM Post
Outlander said:
From the guy on Twitter that broke the orginal Moustakas trade to the Brewers:

Hearing #Brewers have sent a contract offer to 3B Mike Moustakas
11:08 AM - 9 Jan 2019 from Port Orange, FL

https://twitter.com/bucksbrett/status/1 ... 8523045889

Shaw wouldn't be my first choice to fill the 2B hole, but I suppose if the contract were affordable enough, they could make it work. It would make that lineup murder against righties, but I would worry about facing tough lefties.

Posted: January 09, 2019, 1:57 PM Post
I really wouldn't mind this. Having Shaw/Perez in a bit of a 2b platoon with Shaw getting some work at 1b as well. Eventually Hiura/Dubon will come up and Perez will most likely be left out. We have a lot of options this way. I would hope the offer is very team friendly though.

In September and the postseason, I felt really good about our team against RHP with Yelich/Shaw/Moose. It was against LHP that we didn't match up well...and that was primarily Schoop and Aguilar's fault as they were expected to mash lefties. I think Hiura will be better than Schoop was for us last year starting with his very first game in the big leagues.

Posted: January 09, 2019, 2:02 PM Post
I was really hoping for an actual 2B in the off season, rather than the infield musical chairs scenario...

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next  [ 130 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply