LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 34 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Mike Moustakas News

Offline  Re: Mike Moustakas News

Posted: January 09, 2019, 2:03 PM Post
I could see something like a 2-year/$16-$18 million deal with Moose.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 09, 2019, 2:09 PM Post
turborickey said:
I was really hoping for an actual 2B in the off season, rather than the infield musical chairs scenario...

Perhaps I am misreading things and they feel that Hiura will be up this season. If that happens, you have Moose, Shaw and Perez to rotate between 3B and 1B with Aguilar based on matchups. They could start Perez at 3B against tough lefties. Not ideal in my mind, but if they feel that Moose provides more value than who they are looking at on the FA market at 2B, I get it. They were linked to Moose at this time last year, and obviously they traded for him and played him every day through the stretch run, so it's pretty obvious that they like him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 09, 2019, 2:13 PM Post
I was fine with Moustakas last year, shuffling Shaw over to 2B for the short term in order to fit a bat with playoff experience and all that. I'm less interested in it for the long term. Shaw was OK at 2B, but it's a waste of his very good defense at 3B. And he is at best a below-average defender at 2B. If the team is going for a "big" signing I'd prefer it to be a 2B.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 09, 2019, 2:17 PM Post
I am guessing we have a lot of contract offers out there. Just like the reliever yesterday, you tell these guys that the first one to take it gets it. With how the offseason has gone, this is a pretty good strategy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 09, 2019, 7:01 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
I know Moose doesn't typically carry a strong OBP, but I always felt like I he was a tough out & didn't give away PAs. Plus his defense is so good.

I'd be happy to have him back, and like wallus points out, if Hiura forces his way into the lineup midseason, we'd have the versatility to make that happen & still get guys the types of PAs they should be getting.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 09, 2019, 7:15 PM Post
^^^This, at least to a point. I think a solid, true 2B might be more obviously helpful, but Moose was a good Brewer until he became an NLCS K king (of course he had plenty of company in that zone).

It's also worth remembering that it only takes one injury to change the whole balance of things, so more quality depth is better than less depth. It worked out last year when Thames got hurt and Aguilar stepped in and played himself onto the All-Star team.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2019, 10:00 AM Post
Outlander said:
From the guy on Twitter that broke the orginal Moustakas trade to the Brewers:

Hearing #Brewers have sent a contract offer to 3B Mike Moustakas
11:08 AM - 9 Jan 2019 from Port Orange, FL

https://twitter.com/bucksbrett/status/1 ... 8523045889

He doubled down late last night after the Grandal news broke that the Brewers are still in on Moose. Moose seems to be spending a lot of time with Yelich, Braun and Mike Attanasio out in LA this offseason. It wouldn't surprise me if he's got a contract offer from the Brewers in hand, and is only waiting on Machado to sign his mega deal to see if one of the runners up throw stupid money at him as a response to not landing Manny.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2019, 9:10 PM Post
Moose turned down 15 million mutual option this year ( not that the Brewers would have picked that up). He'll be shooting for Lowrie $ at least in early January- two for 20.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 11, 2019, 7:53 AM Post
Global Moderator
Moose actually sacrificed some power for obp in his 200+ ab's with the Brewers. his batting average basically never changes, but he brought his walk rate up to 1/10 ab's, which is a decent ratio. It's possible that some of his incredibly aggressive approach was a Royals philosophy. I mean, Lo Cain's OBP improved a ton as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 11, 2019, 5:44 PM Post
Moustakas seems like a cool guy but I don't know why anyone wants him back as a baseball player, especially since it requires moving a better player off his natural position.

If we want to do a soft platoon with Shaw, find a 2B/3B who can actually hit LHP well (which is not Moose)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 11, 2019, 7:14 PM Post
Given shifting, I think the Brewers don’t care much about individual skills at 2b/3b. I think they view them as out-defenders. With proper positioning, they can overcome many issues

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 5:06 AM Post
He's a power hitter who has a good glove and seems like a great clubhouse guy. Why not?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 5:58 AM Post
Cirilloing said:
He's a power hitter who has a good glove and seems like a great clubhouse guy. Why not?

Because he won't be cheap and he reaches base about 30% of the time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 6:28 AM Post
Global Moderator
It very likely could be nothing, but I noticed the St. Louis Cardinals Twitter account recently started following Moustakas. They were rumored to be on him earlier this off-season, but their infield is obviously now more crowded with the Goldschmidt addition. He does check two boxes they are currently in need of though, left handed bats and better defense.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 34 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply