LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 130 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Mike Moustakas News

Offline  Re: Mike Moustakas News

Posted: February 10, 2019, 7:08 PM Post
Moose is a solid defender. Because of that, I would work him at 2b in camp as well. Players like certainty, but baseball is a sport that is starting to really value versatility. Given Hiura's arm issues in the past, I think they view his secondary position as 1b/DH. So having Moose and Shaw capable of filling in multiple spots as regular starters would be good.

Posted: February 10, 2019, 10:55 PM Post
DHonks said:
Moose is a solid defender. Because of that, I would work him at 2b in camp as well. Players like certainty, but baseball is a sport that is starting to really value versatility. Given Hiura's arm issues in the past, I think they view his secondary position as 1b/DH. So having Moose and Shaw capable of filling in multiple spots as regular starters would be good.

No offense but is this a joke? Hiura is not at all a first baseman. He’s like 5’10 and thin. Sure, we had Prince there at about 5’11..but he played there his entire career and frankly couldn’t possibly play any other position at his size.

Posted: February 11, 2019, 6:09 AM Post
Global Moderator
TexasCheesehead said:
DHonks said:

No offense but is this a joke? Hiura is not at all a first baseman. He’s like 5’10 and thin. Sure, we had Prince there at about 5’11..but he played there his entire career and frankly couldn’t possibly play any other position at his size.

I’m not always a fan of Keith Law’s commentary, but I believe he was correct when he said if Hiura has to move off of 2B his next option is playing 1B. I’ve heard the possibility of ending up in the outfield corners mentioned by others, but I don’t think his arm will play in the OF. All that being said, I think he will be okay at 2B for the foreseeable future.

I don’t actually think Hiura’s past arm issues are the culprit as much as the fact he has always had a below average arm and his range appears somewhat limited. I couldn’t be more excited for Hiura’s bat, but defensively I’m just rooting for him to be able to play a passable 2B.

Posted: February 11, 2019, 12:41 PM Post
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mlb-trade- ... 26149.html

Posted: February 11, 2019, 4:32 PM Post
I've read several times where Stearns has said there are no problems w/ Hiura at 2B. I think several folks remember he couldn't play the field when initially drafted but they've forgotten why and have made up an alternate narrative. It sure seems there's always someone thinking Hiura is actually incapable of playing 2B -- that he's THAT bad defensively -- and that's just not the case.

Hiura wasn't fully recovered from elbow surgery when he was drafted, so he was only able to DH at the time. He's been fine in the field the next year and ever since. He's no Roberto Alomar in the field, but he's also no Rickie Weeks or Daniel Murphy.

On a different note, that Yahoo link re: Moustakas is basically a note that cites Ken Rosenthal's article/note in The Athletic -- so nothing new.

Online  Re: Mike Moustakas News

Posted: February 11, 2019, 5:19 PM Post
If anyone is moving to 1B in this scenario it would be Shaw or Moustakas and not Hiura.

Posted: February 13, 2019, 6:37 PM Post
Moose was great at 3B, Shaw did well at 2nd. Huira should never play 1st. DH will be here soon enough so with his average 2B defense.... he can split between 2B and DH.

With it looking like DH will be here by at latest 2020.... I think locking Moose up for a 3 year deal could be wise. Shaw, Moose, Aguilar, Huira in 2020 to split up 1b 2B 3B & DH is nice to have

Posted: February 13, 2019, 8:22 PM Post
Global Moderator
MNBrew said:
I think several folks remember he couldn't play the field when initially drafted but they've forgotten why and have made up an alternate narrative. It sure seems there's always someone thinking Hiura is actually incapable of playing 2B -- that he's THAT bad defensively -- and that's just not the case.

That seems like a strange theory. I don’t think many people are actually saying Hiura is incapable of playing second base. I think he will be a serviceable defensive 2B, and haven’t come across much sentiment to the contrary. Regarding the “made up alternate narrative”, I actually think the opposite sometimes occurs. I think the arm injury has masked the fact that he has a below average arm when perfectly healthy. I don’t think it will have a profound impact since 2B isn’t a position where you need to rifle the ball across the diamond in the high-80’s very often. He will be fine, but he also won’t likely be competing for Gold Gloves.

Posted: February 13, 2019, 9:59 PM Post
TexasCheesehead said:
DHonks said:

I think you misunderstood. Hiura is a 2b. I was stating that the Brewers are shifting towards positional versatility and it never hurts to work guys out at other spots. My suggestion was Moose workout at 2b a bit this spring if signed. I never advocated moving Hiura.

Posted: February 14, 2019, 1:44 PM Post
Bill Michaels (yeah, I know) says that Moose is looking for a 3 year deal in the $28-35 million range. I personally don't think that is unreasonable. If you can get him at 3 years and $30 million, that's solid value. Also. if Hiura proves ready sooner than later, it gives you a solid trade chip.

Posted: February 14, 2019, 1:53 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Bill Michaels (yeah, I know) says that Moose is looking for a 3 year deal in the $28-35 million range. I personally don't think that is unreasonable. If you can get him at 3 years and $30 million, that's solid value. Also. if Hiura proves ready sooner than later, it gives you a solid trade chip.

Would Bill Michaels actually know anything like that? I feel like he's throwing numbers out that make sense to him.

Posted: February 14, 2019, 2:09 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Would Bill Michaels actually know anything like that? I feel like he's throwing numbers out that make sense to him.

He said "from what he's heard". Could be blowing smoke, but I could imagine he might have a legit source somewhere.

Posted: February 14, 2019, 2:20 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
KeithStone53151 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

He said "from what he's heard". Could be blowing smoke, but I could imagine he might have a legit source somewhere.

Yeah, at numale medical

Posted: February 14, 2019, 2:31 PM Post
I'd be shocked if Moustakas gets multiple guaranteed years.

Posted: February 14, 2019, 3:24 PM Post
I'd like to bring Moustakas back as it lengthens the lineup significantly (even if it means Travis Shaw is a regular 2B), but not at $9-$12 million per. At most, I would see a 2 year $14 million commitment and that would be stretching it given the coming of Hiura and the likely league average platoon of Spangenberg/Perez.

Posted: February 14, 2019, 3:54 PM Post
Warning Track Power said:
I'd like to bring Moustakas back as it lengthens the lineup significantly (even if it means Travis Shaw is a regular 2B), but not at $9-$12 million per. At most, I would see a 2 year $14 million commitment and that would be stretching it given the coming of Hiura and the likely league average platoon of Spangenberg/Perez.

This is where I am at with it as well.

Posted: February 14, 2019, 4:25 PM Post
The next time I listen to Bill Michaels for inside information will be the first. Especially about MLB or NBA.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Posted: February 15, 2019, 12:18 AM Post
I'd love to bring in Moose if it means moving on from Thames. Once Keston comes up Moose can play opposite Jesus. Perfect scenario IMO

Posted: February 15, 2019, 6:57 AM Post
PDCBalla said:
I'd love to bring in Moose if it means moving on from Thames. Once Keston comes up Moose can play opposite Jesus. Perfect scenario IMO

Agree. Just finding a buyer for Thames is hard.

Posted: February 15, 2019, 7:04 AM Post
trwi7 said:
The next time I listen to Bill Michaels for inside information will be the first. Especially about MLB or NBA.

Well, considering literally no info on these guys is coming out from anywhere, I guess we gotta take what we can get.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 130 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply