LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 65 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brandon Woodruff

Offline  Re: Brandon Woodruff

Posted: November 28, 2018, 7:51 AM Post
CrewFanBrewMan69 said:
I think we’d be foolish not to be gauging the market for him or Peralta and probably should cash in on one. They’re pitchers after all and both are still relatively unproven, their chance of filling our hopes of potential is less than the odds they get hurt or flame out. I’d like to flip one in to more of a know quantity and proven starter.

I think I would rather keep the young pitchers and look to trade Anderson. I realize percentages say that not all of Burnes, Peralta and Woodruff are going to be good starters, but the more darts I get to throw at the wall, the better chance I hit a bullseye. And I am doing that while paying min. wage.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 9:03 AM Post
Nobody is saying Peralta is bad or that we "want" to trade him. That's what's being missed in this True Blue discussion as he acts like we all think he's bad or something. All this side is saying that if you're attempting to trade for a good player you have to give something good up. Generally speaking I don't want to trade any of the 3 as I have confidence in all 3 being contributors and good pitchers. And I see how Peralta could go from the spot he is now to really darn good if he adds a change. But again, you have to give up something in these trades.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 9:20 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
Nobody is saying Peralta is bad or that we "want" to trade him. That's what's being missed in this True Blue discussion as he acts like we all think he's bad or something. All this side is saying that if you're attempting to trade for a good player you have to give something good up. Generally speaking I don't want to trade any of the 3 as I have confidence in all 3 being contributors and good pitchers. And I see how Peralta could go from the spot he is now to really darn good if he adds a change. But again, you have to give up something in these trades.

Agreed, but that defies the narrative that he is attempting to create, which is that Peralta is the team's best pitching prospect, and that anyone who puts Burnes and/or Woodruff ahead of him in the pecking order is not only wrong, but comically and condescendingly wrong.

The only places where I've seen Peralta brought up as a trade chip are for either Realmuto or a legit ace-type pitcher (deGrom, Thor, MadBum). What the Brewers need to do is figure out if Peralta figures prominently into the approximate 2-3 year window they are likely to have as a World Series contender. Then they need to determine if his value over the next 6 seasons is worth MadBum for 2019 and a draft pick in the 30s in 2020, or Realmuto for 2019 and 2020 and a pick in the 30s in 2021. That's where things get dicey.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 10:06 AM Post
Then you're not paying attention. Peralta is thrown in just about every trade proposal on this forum. It's very clear that he's undervalued and misunderstood here. That's not a created narrative. You think passing word from scouts that Peralta is special would get people excited but that hasn't been the case. I can also pass along third-hand word (Brewers scout to scout to me) that Peralta is going nowhere. The Brewers know what they have.

Posts pondering Peralta for MadBum as a possibility are so far off the mark and that's why I comment and share what I know.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 10:10 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:

Right. And I'll add that anybody that considers Woodruff a slightly better prospect than Peralta isn't taking a shot at Peralta. Hard not to get excited about the guy after what we saw from him the last 2 months of the season. I think all 3 of these guys are far and away better than any pitching prospects we've had come up since Yovani Gallardo, and they may in fact be better than Gallardo. Most discussion of trading these guys has been in conversations for Realmuto, Syndergaard, Kluber, etc. It's not like we are actively trying to dump any of these guys, and it's all speculation anyways. For all we know, Stearns is making those guys virtually off limits.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 10:13 AM Post
True Blue Brew Crew said:
Posts pondering Peralta for MadBum as a possibility are so far off the mark and that's why I comment and share what I know.

I'll agree for MB is a bit of a stretch, I think it's a minority of people willing to include Peralta in that deal. It's usually higher caliber players that he's being mentioned in trade scenarios.

I'll also add that I hope you're right about how good Peralta will be. I think all of us do.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 10:30 AM Post
Then you're not paying attention. Peralta is thrown in just about every trade proposal on this forum. It's very clear that he's undervalued and misunderstood here. That's not a created narrative. You think passing word from scouts that Peralta is special would get people excited but that hasn't been the case. I can also pass along third-hand word (Brewers scout to scout to me) that Peralta is going nowhere. The Brewers know what they have.

Players mentioned as trade targets for a package including Peralta:

1. Madison Bumgarner
2. Jacob deGrom
3. Noah Syndergaard
4. James Paxton
5. J.T. Realmuto
6. Whit Merrifield
7. Jean Segura
8. Paul Goldschmidt

I looked back over the last 3 months of posts. Every one of those guys is either an ace type, or a lineup altering bat. And trades for the guys like Bumgarner and Goldschmidt who have little control remaining were shot down by multiple posters. I, along with most here, am paying attention.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 10:33 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
tmwiese55 said:

Right. And I'll add that anybody that considers Woodruff a slightly better prospect than Peralta isn't taking a shot at Peralta. Hard not to get excited about the guy after what we saw from him the last 2 months of the season. I think all 3 of these guys are far and away better than any pitching prospects we've had come up since Yovani Gallardo, and they may in fact be better than Gallardo. Most discussion of trading these guys has been in conversations for Realmuto, Syndergaard, Kluber, etc. It's not like we are actively trying to dump any of these guys, and it's all speculation anyways. For all we know, Stearns is making those guys virtually off limits.

Right! Since when did including a player in a hypothetical trade scenario equate to undervaluing him? It is quite the opposite, actually. The fact that he is being included in trade scenarios for high-end MLB stars means that he is extremely highly valued among BF posters.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 5:57 PM Post
In defending having Woodruff over Peralta ranked in value going forward someone had said Woodruff was consistently ranked higher by scouting and ranking services. Something I see no evidence of. Peralta wasn't on the radar when Woodruff was at his peak as a prospect so there really wasn't overlap. When Peralta shot up prospect rankings Woodruff was already off them for the most part. Anyway, Baseball America put this out today...

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... aded-away/

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 6:02 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:

I'll agree for MB is a bit of a stretch, I think it's a minority of people willing to include Peralta in that deal. It's usually higher caliber players that he's being mentioned in trade scenarios.

I'll also add that I hope you're right about how good Peralta will be. I think all of us do.

Me too. I'll add that the poster rushing in here to agree with you is the one who in the post directly above mine, was proposing Peralta for MadBum. I do need to do a better job not letting that stuff get to me but one can only read so many Peralta giveaway trade proposals before they snap. I'm trying to be more open minded.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 6:06 PM Post
I'd just stop using the phrase "giveaway". No one is trying to give him away.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 6:12 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
I'd just stop using the phrase "giveaway". No one is trying to give him away.

Well, Peralta for 1-year of Bumgarner would be pretty darn close. It's so far from reality that I know it won't happen and that's what I need to focus on.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 6:17 PM Post
I just went through the Bumgarner thread and the proposals were all about Woodruff for Bumgarner and almost everyone was saying No on that too. Granted I flew through it and maybe missed one, but the proposals thrown out were for Woodruff. So maybe the talk should be about not giving away Woodruff rather than this constant theme promoting Peralta.

And again, I don't think if someone was willing ot trade him straight for Bumgarner they don't t hink it's a give away. They view Bumgarner as a true ace that could be a difference maker in the playoffs like he has before. They're just likely a little off on the current state of Bumgarner, but they would be viewing Peralta as a piece to get a key Ace to win WS. Don't think that's giving away.

Last edited by tmwiese55 on November 28, 2018, 6:19 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 6:19 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
I just went through the Bumgarner thread and the proposals were all about Woodruff for Bumgarner and almost everyone was saying No on that too. Granted I flew through it and maybe missed one, but the proposals thrown out were for Woodruff. So maybe the talk should be about not giving away Woodruff rather than this constant theme promoting Peralta.

Heck people probably think I'm bashing Woodruff but I even said that if Woodruff is part of a deal to get MadBum, there would have to be additional pieces to the deal.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Brandon Woodruff

Posted: November 28, 2018, 6:35 PM Post
I am just happy that we have this HighHigh level of insider information now! [smile]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 6:53 PM Post
wallus said:
I am just happy that we have this HighHigh level of insider information now! [smile]

I'd love to hear me some inside stuff but the best I'm privy to is scout opinion. The Brewers scout that my uncle is pals with has a feel for where they value certain players but scouts get blindsided by the front office all the time. My uncle was an active scout many years ago and still knows how to identify talent. His connections come from friendships with those still in the game. For those who remember Vinny Rotino, my uncle is the one who got him his tryout with the Brewers. He also used his Marlins connections to get Rottino a shot there in 2009. He was Rottino's summer ball coach and a longtime Mets scout.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 7:01 PM Post
For those who remember Vinny Rotino, my uncle is the one who got him his tryout with the Brewers. He also used his Marlins connections to get Rottino a shot there in 2009. He was Rottino's summer ball coach and a longtime Mets scout.

Is this a good thing?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 7:18 PM Post
turborickey said:
For those who remember Vinny Rotino, my uncle is the one who got him his tryout with the Brewers. He also used his Marlins connections to get Rottino a shot there in 2009. He was Rottino's summer ball coach and a longtime Mets scout.

Is this a good thing?

It was just a anecdote for anyone who cared to search the connection online. It has nothing to do with Rottino's ability as a major leaguer. He was actually a pretty great story and I know there are people here who would remember him. But you apparently wanted to go in a negative direction.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 8:07 PM Post
But you apparently wanted to go in a negative direction.

So is calling the opinion of other posters "laughable", or any other of the dozens of condescending remarks you've thrown out there over the last few months.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 8:24 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
But you apparently wanted to go in a negative direction.

So is calling the opinion of other posters "laughable", or any other of the dozens of condescending remarks you've thrown out there over the last few months.

I barely post here so I surely rank far down the list of offenders especially when I read so much condescension throughout the forum. I believe I just read a zinger you threw clancyphile's way. In your 5000+ posts, I'd bet you have more condescending ones than the entirety of all my posts. But I'm delighted to know I've made such an impression on you. I suggest that you put me on ignore to benefit us both, because we're way off track now.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 65 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply