LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 65 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brandon Woodruff

Offline  Re: Brandon Woodruff

Posted: December 06, 2018, 10:49 AM Post
A Swing and A Drive said:
Other than being a Brewer, I'm curious on why posters think Woodruff should be ranked ahead of Weaver?

Weaver was universally more well thought of coming out of college and has put up better career minor league numbers at the same age/levels.

Woodruff was insanely good the last 2 months of the season, while Weaver had a poor 2018 season in a pitcher friendly park. If Woodruff is anything like he was in Sept/Oct for the 2019 season...it isn't even close, he's way better than Weaver.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2018, 10:54 AM Post
Other than being a Brewer, I'm curious on why posters think Woodruff should be ranked ahead of Weaver?

Weaver was universally more well thought of coming out of college and has put up better career minor league numbers at the same age/levels.

My ranking was based on his higher velocity and a larger frame that would indicate a higher probability of durability. Luke Weaver is extremely skinny, and while it is possible that he can add some muscle mass, typically svelte pitchers don't age extremely well as starters. Woodruff, on the other hand, looks like he came off the starting pitcher assembly line.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2018, 11:15 AM Post
Thanks for the responses. That's interesting.

If you base it off what you saw from both at the MLB level JUST in 2018, then it makes some sense.

Can't argue that Woodruff doesn't have the better pitchers frame, physically either. However, they both had similar frames when Weaver was drafted 10 rounds sooner than Woodruff just 4 years ago so I think MLB scouts believe that Weaver has a better arsenal. So far the overall numbers have backed up that belief.

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brew-Crew-Review-2053231341616034/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2018, 11:24 AM Post
Can't argue that Woodruff doesn't have the better pitchers frame, physically either. However, they both had similar frames when Weaver was drafted 10 rounds sooner than Woodruff just 4 years ago so I think MLB scouts believed that Weaver has a better arsenal. So far the overall numbers have backed up that belief.

No doubt Weaver was considered the better prospect 4 years go. Four years is an eternity in player development, though. And considering where they were drafted and where they are now, you could make a sound argument that Woodruff has developed at a higher rate based on expectations at draft time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2018, 12:01 PM Post
Thanks for the responses. That's interesting.

If you base it off what you saw from both at the MLB level JUST in 2018, then it makes some sense.

Can't argue that Woodruff doesn't have the better pitchers frame, physically either. However, they both had similar frames when Weaver was drafted 10 rounds sooner than Woodruff just 4 years ago so I think MLB scouts believe that Weaver has a better arsenal. So far the overall numbers have backed up that belief.

Woodruff had some control issues coming out of college if I recall correctly whereas Weaver had great control so he was a more polished college product. Burnes was drafted 3 rounds after Weaver does that mean he has a worse arsenal than Weaver? Woodruff and Weaver both ended up being ranked in the greater top 50 area by scouts/pubs. I really like Weaver and don't believe 2018 is what you're getting moving forward but you can't ignore his production. Woodruff obviously has the build you never have to worry about breaking down. I would also rate Woodruff higher than Weaver but not by a wide margin or anything. They're two different pitchers too. Woodruff is big and burly with a power late breaking slider off his mid-90s fastball (when starting) working in a change I like and think he can develop well. Weaver to me is Davies + 4mph. Weaver's fastball is straight whereas Davies has movement but they both have great changes and get their curve over. I just feel that type of pitcher isn't typically more than a mid-rotation and they have to be on their game and consistent in order to even achieve that. But they're great backend starters. I believe Woodruff can be a 2.5 starter - meaning I think he falls short of being a TOR but can be slightly better than a typical mid-rotation. I think of 2017 Jimmy Nelson when I think of Woodruff's ability but with a slight increase in BB rate and a lower K/H9 rate but similar-ish effectiveness.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 65 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply