LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 93 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers Inability to Make Moves

Offline  Re: Brewers Inability to Make Moves

Posted: December 06, 2018, 1:25 PM Post
Global Moderator
This happens every off season - as well at the trade deadline. We hear the same things:

- Every team is getting better but us.
- Every team is doing something but us.
- Stearns is being schooled by the other GMs.
- Stearns needs to put on his big boy pants and get things done.
- Mark A. needs to step up and spend more money.
- etc., etc., etc.

In the end, no one knows what our team is up to. The talks they have today behind closed doors may very well lead to actions in a week or a month or two months.

Sure you can force the issue. You can overpay for a free agent. Or give more for a trade than the other guys. But that just ends up coming back to bite you in the end.

The Crew has a plan - including a budget. I do not doubt the front office is carefully calculating how they can maximize the available dollars. Just have to be patient.

Posted: December 06, 2018, 1:47 PM Post
In baseball (and life in general) reactionary moves tend to not bode well for the future. Sure the Cardinals got better, but making a move just for the sake of it isn’t Stearns’ MO well, outside of Schoop, but that’s a discussion for a different day. Making a move that doesn’t make sense from a value standpoint is when you run into trouble. Brewers have plenty of opportunities and budget room to get better this offseason, and that is exciting! We just have to to be patient and trust the process.

Posted: December 06, 2018, 2:01 PM Post
As long as Stearns packs his "big boy pants" to the Winter Meetings...

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brew-Crew-Review-2053231341616034/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Posted: December 06, 2018, 2:56 PM Post
Global Moderator
I'm hearing there is a 50% chance the Brewers are going for Robbie Ray but the asking price is too high. If the D-backs lower their demands then that chance may go up to 80% unless other teams get involved then chances may go down. Other teams in the mix include Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, Miami, Yankees, Baltimore, Mets, Atlanta, Chicago White Sox, Chicago Cubs, Minnesota, Cardinals, Royals, Rangers, Astros, Dodgers, Mariners, Padres, Rockies, Giants, Angels, Bears, Lions, Patriots, Canucks, Machester U and surprisingly the D-Backs.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Posted: December 06, 2018, 3:01 PM Post
homer said:
I'm hearing there is a 50% chance the Brewers are going for Robbie Ray but the asking price is too high. If the D-backs lower their demands then that chance may go up to 80% unless other teams get involved then chances may go down. Other teams in the mix include Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, Miami, Yankees, Baltimore, Mets, Atlanta, Chicago White Sox, Chicago Cubs, Minnesota, Cardinals, Royals, Rangers, Astros, Dodgers, Mariners, Padres, Rockies, Giants, Angels, Bears, Lions, Patriots, Canucks, Machester U and surprisingly the D-Backs.

Brian Gutekunst is gauging Ray's interest in playing safety before jumping into the bidding.

Posted: December 06, 2018, 5:26 PM Post
Jkromb said:
Sure it’s December 5th. But the Cardinals got better, the Nationals got better, the Cubs will get better, and the Dodgers also will get better. Meanwhile the Brewers sit here agreeing to do nothing because they don’t want to spend a few extra dollars or trade off some prospects who possibly will never amount to anything. Sure the Brewer people think Hiura will be great, but if that’s the case then why isn’t he going to be on the opening day roster?? And don’t give me that stupid Super 2 answer, if he was good enough and they felt that he was the answer, they wouldn’t wait.

If he is good enough.... you want him the extra season....Super two is the smart move... Braun was ready as well. Don’t hate the team, hate the league.

Posted: December 06, 2018, 6:24 PM Post
Man, the winter meetings haven't even happened. How soon we forget that this team acquired Cain and Yelich. Patience is a virtue...

Online  Re: Brewers Inability to Make Moves

Posted: December 06, 2018, 6:49 PM Post
It's almost as if the Brewers don't want to win.

Posted: December 06, 2018, 6:59 PM Post
Bernie Brewer plus Hank the Dog for a PTBNL from the Expos, errr I mean the Nationals. My ex girlfriend's cousin's hairdresser's aunt is best friends with a guy who played college ball with Craig Counsell. I bring you this inside information, not because I desire attention for myself (no, really!!!) but because it is my honor to serve the Brewers community.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Posted: December 06, 2018, 6:59 PM Post
coolhandluke121 said:
It's almost as if the Brewers don't want to win.

Fixed [wink]

Posted: December 06, 2018, 7:08 PM Post
Fire Counsell?

Posted: December 06, 2018, 7:37 PM Post
Global Moderator
I wonder what they could get for Yelich?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Posted: December 06, 2018, 7:47 PM Post
The entire roster has been re-hauled in the last 12 months (for the better), jettisoning nearly a dozen prospects we hugged too much?

Posted: December 06, 2018, 7:52 PM Post
There will be moves made by April, which may not be big splash type moves, but after getting Chacin and Miley last year, I'd wait until at least August this year to be too critical of the FO.

Posted: December 06, 2018, 8:07 PM Post
I am sure DS will make a move and almost sure it be something no one has talked about.

Posted: December 06, 2018, 9:51 PM Post
Trust the Process

Posted: December 06, 2018, 10:54 PM Post
Jkromb said:
Sure it’s December 5th. But the Cardinals got better, the Nationals got better, the Cubs will get better, and the Dodgers also will get better. Meanwhile the Brewers sit here agreeing to do nothing because they don’t want to spend a few extra dollars or trade off some prospects who possibly will never amount to anything. Sure the Brewer people think Hiura will be great, but if that’s the case then why isn’t he going to be on the opening day roster?? And don’t give me that stupid Super 2 answer, if he was good enough and they felt that he was the answer, they wouldn’t wait.

Why do you assume the Cubs and Dodgers will get better? We're working in a vacuum where only good moves occur before December 5th, correct?

Posted: December 06, 2018, 11:07 PM Post
ctmyers said:
Jkromb said:

Why do you assume the Cubs and Dodgers will get better? We're working in a vacuum where only good moves occur before December 5th, correct?

Cubs and Dodgers aren’t afraid to spend money.. Machado and Harper could very easily go to those teams..

Posted: December 06, 2018, 11:08 PM Post
Global Moderator
The other thing about making moves to get better is that the 'getting better' part can often take place from within.

We had Burnes, Peralta and Woodruff for around 150 innings last year. Davies threw 350+ innings in 2016/17 for a 3.90ish ERA, but only threw 66 innings last year. Arcia hit .280+ over the last two months, and really produced in the playoffs. And what if Santana gets back to his 2017 form? A few of these guys could really take a step forward/rebound and make a huge difference in 2019.

No doubt we have some moves to make. I expect a left handed starter, a catcher and a 2B. Maybe a reliever. Also, no doubt some players regress in 2019. But we won 96 games last year, so I'm not going to worry if we settle on making modest moves to fill the holes we have. Yes, I'd love a big move like getting Thor or Bumgarner or Keuchel. But it has to be on our terms.

Posted: December 07, 2018, 6:04 AM Post
Jkromb said:

Cubs and Dodgers aren’t afraid to spend money.. Machado and Harper could very easily go to those teams..

The Brewers aren’t fearful of spending money. They just don’t have as much to spend as those teams you mentioned. I hope you get that if the Brewers choose the wrong large contract, it could cripple any of the progress they have made so far.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 93 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply