LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 58 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Troy Tulowitzki

Offline  Troy Tulowitzki

Posted: December 11, 2018, 2:10 PM Post
https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/1072582277341896704

Add another guy to the pile of middle infielders looking for work. I have no idea if Tulo would sign a 1-year deal, let alone move to 2B. That would be the only way he'd be a fit for the Brewers I imagine.

Offline  Re: Troy Tulowitzki

Posted: December 11, 2018, 2:14 PM Post
Whoa. They're eating $38 million?

Posted: December 11, 2018, 2:25 PM Post
Insurance at short and new 2nd baseman?
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statu ... 8047404034

Posted: December 11, 2018, 2:52 PM Post
Intriguing - with what they did after acquiring Moose, I wonder if Tulo can play 3rd if 2nd isn't an option? Tulo's 0.919 career OPS against lefty pitching would look pretty sweet in the lineup assuming he's healthy enough to actually play everyday again.

Tulo and Arcia on the left side, slide Shaw over to 2nd

Posted: December 11, 2018, 2:57 PM Post
He can be signed for as little as the league minimum as Toronto is obligated to pay him 38M for the next 2 years. Certainly worth kicking the tires on him. His agent stated that he wants to go to a contender

Posted: December 11, 2018, 3:03 PM Post
Does anyone know if MLB contracts have offset language? Is Toronto on the hook for $38M, -OR- the difference between $38M and whatever Tulo signs for? If it's the latter, then it's pretty much a given that he'll sign for the minimum.

Posted: December 11, 2018, 3:05 PM Post
Point Beer Is Best said:
Does anyone know if MLB contracts have offset language? Is Toronto on the hook for $38M, -OR- the difference between $38M and whatever Tulo signs for? If it's the latter, then it's pretty much a given that he'll sign for the minimum.

They're on the hook for all $38 million. Anything Tulo signs for will be on top of what he gets paid from Toronto.

Posted: December 11, 2018, 3:06 PM Post
I'd take him for cheap, but I'd guess that he goes to one of the coasts. Perhaps if we offer a couple mil it would persuade him to come here rather than SoCal or the NE.

Posted: December 11, 2018, 3:19 PM Post
No thanks. Might as well just place him and Braun on the DL in spring training to save the roster shuffling. And as I posted in his release thread, he's really nothing much of a hitter outside of Coors.

Posted: December 11, 2018, 3:51 PM Post
We already have an aging disappointment from the 2005 draft, no thanks.

Posted: December 11, 2018, 4:14 PM Post
If they are just eating $38 million, that's a pretty good sign that Tulo will no longer play a role on another MLB team.

Posted: December 11, 2018, 4:25 PM Post
Braun and him together would be kind of a cool thing.

Online  Re: Troy Tulowitzki

Posted: December 11, 2018, 5:02 PM Post
He’s the kind of guy that will be perfect for a bounce back year. Would love to pursue him.

Posted: December 11, 2018, 5:20 PM Post
Global Moderator
I think it's totally worth a 1 year deal and presumably it would only take the MLB minimum. If he gets hurt you call up Hiura. This assumes he is willing and/or able to play 2nd base. I do think the Brewers can do better though.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Posted: December 11, 2018, 6:23 PM Post
I'd love to have him, but only if he's healthy. Hard to know whether he is or not but the Blue Jays eating $38 million is not a good sign.

MrTPlush said:

An "aging disappointment"? Yeah we really swung and missed on that pick... [rolling eyes] [rolling eyes] [rolling eyes]

Online  Re: Troy Tulowitzki

Posted: December 11, 2018, 9:55 PM Post
Point Beer Is Best said:

that is correct. If we sign him for $1 million, the Jays would owe him $37million.

Posted: December 11, 2018, 11:22 PM Post
I’d be all over it for 1 year prove deal. Really there is zero risk & all reward if he actually performs. Health has been a long issue but at the cost.... what does it hurt? A roster spot? If he isn’t working out you can dump for for next to nothing.

Braun produces enough & his leadership in locker room has been huge for them. His babip has been really low & from watching it’s not due to him not hitting ball hard. Hasn’t found holes. Still a 1+ WAR and above average wRC+ guy. You hope he can stay more healthy & get back up 2 .290+ Got two more years, hope for best

Posted: December 12, 2018, 6:33 AM Post
SRB said:
MrTPlush said:

An "aging disappointment"? Yeah we really swung and missed on that pick... [rolling eyes] [rolling eyes] [rolling eyes]

You don’t have to think everything so seriously.

If you don’t think Braun has been widely dissapointing recently well....don’t know what to tell you.

Posted: December 12, 2018, 8:44 AM Post
DHonks said:
Point Beer Is Best said:

that is correct. If we sign him for $1 million, the Jays would owe him $37million.

Wait...is that true? I just assumed that any team was on the hook for a signed contract.

That doesn't seem right because teams would be cutting guys all the time just in hopes that a new team would sign a new contract for even 15-20% of the deal to cut into their losses.

Wouldn't the Blue Jays owe $38 million no matter what and anything a new team signs him for (say $1 mililon) is supplemental?

Posted: December 12, 2018, 9:26 AM Post
bill hAll Star said:
DHonks said:
Point Beer Is Best said:

Wait...is that true? I just assumed that any team was on the hook for a signed contract.

That doesn't seem right because teams would be cutting guys all the time just in hopes that a new team would sign a new contract for even 15-20% of the deal to cut into their losses.

Wouldn't the Blue Jays owe $38 million no matter what and anything a new team signs him for (say $1 mililon) is supplemental?

I think DHonks is correct. I looked at a comparable situation (Pablo Sandoval), and the Giants simply signed him for the league minimum (https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/san-francisco-giants/pablo-sandoval-5355/cash-earnings/. For Sandoval, he's due to earn $23M in 2019 from the contract he signed with the Red Sox, but their obligation is $22,445,000 while the Giants are paying him the minimum of $555,000.

The articles I've seen about Tulo's release don't get into this, but all seem to be under the assumption that Tulo could be had for the Vet minimum, so they authors are working under the belief that anything in addition to the minimum is just doing the Jay's a favor.

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 58 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply