LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 58 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Troy Tulowitzki

Offline  Re: Troy Tulowitzki

Posted: December 12, 2018, 10:08 AM Post
Yep, I believe that is the standard procedure for all sports related contracts, including coaching contracts.

Posted: December 12, 2018, 10:38 AM Post
I guess I'm just surprised that teams don't cut guys like a Robinson Cano as much. They ended up getting slight value added in a trade but if I have a complete dud at 4 years, $100 million left that still might sign for 3 years, $20 million elsewhere, I'd consider just cutting ties.

If I'm the Cubs I consider dumping Jason Heyward.

I just assumed that a player was due all of the money from a team.

Of course in a lot of these cases you just say that it's better to have Heyward and pay him $100 million instead of not have him and pay $80 million, but it just seems like this should be happening a bit more often.

Online  Re: Troy Tulowitzki

Posted: December 12, 2018, 10:54 AM Post
The problem is there is no incentive for a team to actually pay more than the minimum. If Team A offers him $10mil and Team B offers him $1mil, he's still going to go with whichever team he prefers regardless of the money because he's getting the same amount anyways. So if you cut a big contract, there's really no chance a team is going to cut into that debt for you at all.

Posted: December 12, 2018, 10:57 AM Post
MrAllen said:
The problem is there is no incentive for a team to actually pay more than the minimum. If Team A offers him $10mil and Team B offers him $1mil, he's still going to go with whichever team he prefers regardless of the money because he's getting the same amount anyways. So if you cut a big contract, there's really no chance a team is going to cut into that debt for you at all.

Ah, yeah. There we go.

Posted: December 12, 2018, 11:26 AM Post
For what it’s worth, Rosenthal was very clear on MLB Network just now that Tulo is willing to play other positions

Posted: December 12, 2018, 11:31 AM Post
StCroixCtyBrewer said:
For what it’s worth, Rosenthal was very clear on MLB Network just now that Tulo is willing to play other positions

While he is willing to play other positions, he is also injury prone & has interest in playing in the Bay area.
I think his 1st preference is to play for Oakland and after that someone in the AL - the DH slot allows for additional playing opportunities if he is unable to play in the field. The Brewers might interest him over some other places but things would need to align for that to happen...

Posted: December 15, 2018, 4:16 PM Post
Jon Heyman of Fancred reports that the Cubs are one of six teams that have been in contact with free agent shortstop Troy Tulowitzki.

The Cubs plan to send a scout to Tulo's upcoming workout to get a feel for what he has left in the tank. With the Blue Jays on the hook for most of his salary, the 34-year-old could wind up being a nice bargain at the veteran's minimum, provided he's able to stay healthy, which is something he has struggled with throughout his career. The Tulowitzki camp has said that they plan to narrow the field of suitors soon.
Related: Cubs

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter Dec 14 - 9:29 PM

Posted: December 15, 2018, 6:22 PM Post
This guy makes Ryan Braun look like Cal Ripken Jr when it comes to durability.

Posted: December 19, 2018, 8:09 PM Post
It looks like the Brewers' interest is serious.

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2018/12/19 ... ki-workout

Along with half of the league, of course... [laughing]

Posted: December 19, 2018, 8:11 PM Post
Tulo and Braun in the same lineup are a wet dream. In 2011 lol but I still love it!

Posted: December 19, 2018, 8:53 PM Post
anglotiger said:

Is this correct?

"considering every team will likely be offering the same thing in terms of a contract"

Can't see why that would be the case unless there's some rule prohibiting teams from giving a released player more than the league minimum.

Posted: December 19, 2018, 9:01 PM Post
SRB said:
anglotiger said:

Is this correct?

"considering every team will likely be offering the same thing in terms of a contract"

Can't see why that would be the case unless there's some rule prohibiting teams from giving a released player more than the league minimum.

His contract with Toronto is guaranteed, and he can't double dip. Whatever contract he signs with a new club comes off of what Toronto owes him.

Posted: December 19, 2018, 9:09 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
His contract with Toronto is guaranteed, and he can't double dip. Whatever contract he signs with a new club comes off of what Toronto owes him.

Makes sense, I didn't realize he was barred from earning more.

Have to think the Brewers would be strong contenders then if they really want him. Back in the NL, World Series contender last year, reigning NL MVP, wide open starting job at 2B and a starter at SS who got demoted for part of last season.

Posted: December 19, 2018, 9:33 PM Post
SRB said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Makes sense, I didn't realize he was barred from earning more.

Have to think the Brewers would be strong contenders then if they really want him. Back in the NL, World Series contender last year, reigning NL MVP, wide open starting job at 2B and a starter at SS who got demoted for part of last season.

He's not barred from earning more...but nobody would give him an amount greater than what Toronto owes. I'd love to add him. He could expect lots of playing time between 1st, 2nd, 3rd, SS, and DH. Plus he can play for a contender

Posted: December 19, 2018, 10:07 PM Post
I have to think that he'll either pick the best location for his family, or the contender who promises him the most playing time (or both).

Posted: December 19, 2018, 10:37 PM Post
Global Moderator
Tulo would be fascinating. Even if he could hit .250 with 20 HR and provide solid defense, he's golden due to costing you next to nothing. That allows you to put your money in other areas of need, such as catcher or the starting rotation or whatever.

That's all a big 'if' - but it's interesting.

Online  Re: Troy Tulowitzki

Posted: December 19, 2018, 11:21 PM Post
With more bad Russell news out today, I’d bet he ends up a Cub. They cut ties with Russell and can offer Tulo some pretty solid playing time at SS/2B on a contending team and big market.

Posted: December 19, 2018, 11:28 PM Post
Global Moderator
There is some speculation that Tulowitzski wants to play on the west coast - as he's from the Bay area. His agent even said that location would be a factor.

The A's would be a fit if they don't bring back Lowrie.

I've read some links to the Giants as well - but that doesn't seem as likely as they have Panik, Crawford and Longoria in the infield. Of course, he could displace Panik or be a super sub. But the other reason not to go the SF is they will likely be bad. Doubt Tulo wants to play super sub on a losing team.

Posted: December 20, 2018, 8:06 AM Post
if he goes out west brewers need to grab Lowrie

Posted: December 20, 2018, 8:14 AM Post
I think Tulowitzki is more name than substance obviously at this point, but it would certainly be a fun story. While I would like more of a sure bet at 2B this year, it isn't like the Brewers have no coverage there if Tulowitzki got hurt or was ineffective. Perez is a more-than-capable 2B, as is Saladino. Shaw could be moved there again, and of course Dubon and Hiura will likely be one call away at San Antonio.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 58 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply