LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 58 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Troy Tulowitzki

Offline  Re: Troy Tulowitzki

Posted: December 20, 2018, 10:23 AM Post
I'd be excited to get Tulo at this cost, and I hope he picks the Brewers. However, as a fan, I wouldn't go into it expecting too much. Anything he would provide would be a bonus.

Posted: December 20, 2018, 11:22 AM Post
I would take a flier on Tulo for sure. If you only need to pay him the veteran minimum, it is well worth it. If he struggles or gets injured, you’re not paying him much anyway. If he does well, the offense receives a big boost while only paying him less than $600,000. Low risk, high reward guy. Leaves plenty of room for other upgrades such as bringing in another guy like Lowrie or Gonzalez on a multi year deal. There will be plenty of at-bats to go around once injuries arise.

Posted: December 20, 2018, 2:38 PM Post
Can a team add incentives to the contract to give said released player a possible higher income?

Posted: December 20, 2018, 2:47 PM Post
LouisEly said:
Can a team add incentives to the contract to give said released player a possible higher income?

Can't imagine there would be anything against that. If I were Tulo, I would be looking at the most guaranteed money.

Posted: December 20, 2018, 2:54 PM Post
reillymcshane said:
Doubt Tulo wants to play super sub on a losing team.

Therein lies the question - which is more important for him, playing on the West Coast or playing for a contender?

I'd think that the general perception is that the Brewers have a much better chance than the A's of making the World Series next year. Same with Cubs, but the Brewers can offer a mostly weatherproof stadium, unlike the Cubs.

I'd prefer a LH 2B stopgap (Murphy), but it's going to be difficult to beat Tulo for about league minimum.

Online  Re: Troy Tulowitzki

Posted: December 20, 2018, 3:33 PM Post
OnaBadger58 said:
LouisEly said:

Can't imagine there would be anything against that. If I were Tulo, I would be looking at the most guaranteed money.

Whatever money he signs for is equal to how much less the Bluejays have to pay him on his guaranteed contract. So if a team signs him for anything more than the minimum, they are just doing the Jays a favor. He sees the same money regardless, incentives or not.

Posted: December 22, 2018, 4:28 PM Post
if he is looking for playing time and being on a contender, the Brewers look as good as anyone. If it is about being in a large market or somewhere warm, not so much.
Yet, Denver and Toronto do not bring up images of sunshine or big time markets..... we have a shot.

Posted: December 22, 2018, 4:59 PM Post
He would be a fun signing, with very little risk. Actually, no risk at all as long as he is willing to play 2B.

Would make some interesting conversation, that's for sure.

What if he bounced back a bit and was able to stay healthy? 20+ homers from the position would be sweet.

I was against the thought at first, but have warmed up to the idea.

Posted: December 22, 2018, 10:40 PM Post
I don't think the brewers will sign Tulo think he signs else where but would not mind if he was our opening day 2nd baseman.

Posted: December 23, 2018, 7:51 PM Post
To anyone who thinks Tulo can be a starting quality infielder in 2019 ask yourself this: Why did the Jays just burn $38 million to get the guy out of town?

I will be shocked if Tulo provides a positive WAR to any team this year.

Posted: December 23, 2018, 9:07 PM Post
502 to Right said:
To anyone who thinks Tulo can be a starting quality infielder in 2019 ask yourself this: Why did the Jays just burn $38 million to get the guy out of town?

They're rebuilding and wanted younger players to play and didn't want a malcontent in the locker room whining about playing time?

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Posted: December 23, 2018, 11:22 PM Post
trwi7 said:
502 to Right said:

They're rebuilding and wanted younger players to play and didn't want a malcontent in the locker room whining about playing time?

Under that scenario if he had value they would have eaten much of his contract and traded him. Instead they ate everything except possibly veteran minimum if someone else signs him to kick the tires.

I don't blame teams for being interested in Tulo at veteran minimum. But to think you can just pencil him in as a starter is foolish. He's just a lottery ticket.

Posted: December 24, 2018, 4:52 AM Post
From a money standpoint there is no risk but yes there is risk because if they sign Tulo then that pretty much means one of the other options won't be coming here. He could be completely useless which would lead to more playing time to Perez/ Spangenberg. Maybe no risk if their plan is to bring up Hiura after Super 2 and whatever they get out of Tulo is a bonus.

Posted: December 27, 2018, 7:46 PM Post
502 to Right said:
trwi7 said:
502 to Right said:

Under that scenario if he had value they would have eaten much of his contract and traded him. Instead they ate everything except possibly veteran minimum if someone else signs him to kick the tires.

I don't blame teams for being interested in Tulo at veteran minimum. But to think you can just pencil him in as a starter is foolish. He's just a lottery ticket.

I haven't seen a whole lot of people just "penciling him in as a starter." But thanks for mentioning how foolish something that nobody said was.
You seem to be a "rain on the parade type of guy." Almost everyone has said, "low risk, high reward, if he doesn't produce, at least he's cheap, he can play all over, nice stopgap to Hirura for 600K....etc...etc...etc.."

Or how MAYBE we could get lucky and he could have a bounce back year...but still with the caveat that it's a low risk, high reward type deal.

Not to mention, a lot of players get bought out and go on to provide varying levels of value at the league minimum on other teams.

Posted: December 27, 2018, 9:13 PM Post
If the Brewers could get .250, 15 HR and 60 RBI out of Tulo, which is quite possible, their order would be stacked. What an upgrade at 2B. Tulo is definitely worth the $500,000 risk.

Posted: December 28, 2018, 11:43 AM Post
Global Moderator
Tulo will have no shortage of suitors, so its all going to come down to what he prioritizes.

Contender (yes)
Opportunity (opening day 2B, possible SS if Arcia hits around a 50 OPS+ again)
Location (not Cali, but we've got a roof)

Posted: January 01, 2019, 10:23 PM Post
He's a Yankee now. No more need to worry if he's got anything left.

Posted: January 01, 2019, 10:25 PM Post
League minimum salary on the east coast. Fun stuff.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 58 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply