LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 29 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Braun and Thames for Greinke

Online  Re: Braun and Thames for Greinke

Posted: January 04, 2019, 8:58 AM Post
Again, the chance that Braun would approve a trade to a rebuilding club is less than 0%. It is probably useless to even debate it as a hypothetical.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 04, 2019, 9:35 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Again, the chance that Braun would approve a trade to a rebuilding club is less than 0%. It is probably useless to even debate it as a hypothetical.

Yes, I know. I'm just saying the D-Backs would do it if it somehow worked (to completely contradict your point that we shouldn't even talk about it haha).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 04, 2019, 9:48 AM Post
bill hAll Star said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Yes, I know. I'm just saying the D-Backs would do it if it somehow worked (to completely contradict your point that we shouldn't even talk about it haha).

I think they'd be happy to rid themselves of that contract and get anything of value back in return. Thames would definitely be a tradable asset in the last year of his deal, and I would think that if he played 1B fulltime for Arizona, he'd put up numbers good enough to make him a valuable trade commodity at the deadline. I still think the only team that Braun would maybe accept a trade to, though, is the Dodgers. That would be one hell of a weird, convoluted three-way deal. But the Dodgers did just shed Kemp's and Puig's salaries, and they have a theoretical hole in the corner OF ....

(dang it, now you have me thinking about it! [wink] )

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Braun and Thames for Greinke

Posted: January 04, 2019, 11:00 AM Post
You can tell it's been a slow offseason when this topic made it to 2 pages...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 06, 2019, 2:36 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

No...it's not.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 06, 2019, 9:08 AM Post
OnTheBlack said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

No...it's not.

It is. Braun has 10/5 rights. He won’t go to a rebuilding club. Useless.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 07, 2019, 11:15 AM Post
It is not really that far fetched. Braun lives in Los Angeles. Playing for the Diamondbacks he would be a one hour flight away from Los Angeles. What is more, the Diamondbacks play in Los Angeles ten times a year which would mean multiple weeks of being at his own home during the season. In the grand scheme of things money, and lifestyle are what matters to most professional athletes while winning is a distant third. Therefore the fact that Arizona is re-tooling their roster while the Brewers are looking to defend their division title likely isn't as significant factor as suggested. (To wit, Braun has never grumbled about all the below average teams he's been apart of in Milwaukee since signing his massive extension).

The Diamondbacks are re-tooling their roster and are motivated to move long-term commitments of their financial ledger. Ergo, they traded Goldschmidt because they didn't want the risk of handing him a longterm market rate contract at 32 years old. They let Corbin and Pollock walk as free agents. Even throwing in cash to make the financials of a Greinke--Braun, Thames swap more even, they'd be coming out ahead because Greinke's deal runs three more seasons while the long-term commitments coming from the Brewers would end in 2020 and 2019 respectively.

Frankly, while certainly plausible, I'd concerned that Milwaukee couldn't pull the trigger because they don't have the space in their budget to add Greinke in this scenario even at 15 million a year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 07, 2019, 6:48 PM Post
It's not plausible except in your head.....

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 07, 2019, 8:37 PM Post
Braun is nearing the end of his career, after which he can spend the entire year wherever he wants, and has never been in a WS (let alone won one) - and I'm sure that he'd love to.

He's going to have zero interest in leaving a contender, where he's been for his entire career and is very comfortable, to go to a team who have no chance of the WS during the remainder of his career.

If the Dodgers wanted him, he'd at least consider it - but not the Diamondbacks.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 29 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply