LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

[ 8 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Xander Bogaerts

Offline  Xander Bogaerts

Posted: January 03, 2019, 4:44 PM Post
https://www.brewcrewball.com/2019/1/2/18165287/milwaukee-brewers-trade-target-xander-bogaerts-boston-red-sox

Interesting read. Would love a player like him. Only one year left though at age 26, around $10 million.

What would it take to get him? article mentions a similar value of Goldschmidt.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Xander Bogaerts

Posted: January 03, 2019, 6:04 PM Post
I don’t buy that the Red Sox will actually look to trade him, but if he’s available he should be a target.

He and Gregoriois are both FA after 2019. If Arcia doesn’t bounce back to ~ his 2017 numbers the Brewers should be serious bidders on those two next off season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 06, 2019, 2:47 AM Post
long ball said:
I don’t buy that the Red Sox will actually look to trade him, but if he’s available he should be a target.

He and Gregoriois are both FA after 2019. If Arcia doesn’t bounce back to ~ his 2017 numbers the Brewers should be serious bidders on those two next off season.

Agreed...and by then we'll have at least some feel for Dubon most likely. But I don't like the idea of giving up on Arcia after a really productive season as a whole and then a down season offensively in his first two years at 22 and 23.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 06, 2019, 7:59 AM Post
No, they're not giving up on Arcia. They won 96 games without him contributing offensively until the final month. He's still a core player and I think they view him as a critical piece going forward.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 06, 2019, 9:01 AM Post
I don't think acquiring Bogaerts means you need to trade Arcia or give up on him for sure. The FO has been plenty creative enough to bring in as much talent as possible and use them all. It's possible they could move Bogaerts back to 3B and Shaw to SS.

That said Arcia alone with nothing else is probably the most I would give up, not a Goldschmidt type return.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 06, 2019, 11:05 AM Post
The Red Sox project to be about 30 million over the luxury tax threshold. Trading Bogaerts only subtracts about 1/3rd of that total. I don't see any other realistic moves to subtract another 20 million off of their payroll. When the Red Sox signed Eovaldi, it was pretty much a statement that they were going to be playing 2019 over the luxury tax threshold and are fine with doing so. Can't really imagine the Red Sox would have any motivation at this point to trade Bogaerts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 06, 2019, 12:54 PM Post
adambr2 said:
I don't think acquiring Bogaerts means you need to trade Arcia or give up on him for sure. The FO has been plenty creative enough to bring in as much talent as possible and use them all. It's possible they could move Bogaerts back to 3B and Shaw to SS.

That said Arcia alone with nothing else is probably the most I would give up, not a Goldschmidt type return.

Could Bogaerts play 2B? Has he ever done so? Why not get him, and leave Arcia at SS and Bogaerts at 2B if that is an option, and I'm not saying it is because I have no idea if he has ever played 2B. Hell, some us seem to be fine with Shaw sticking at 2B, I'm sure Bogaerts could handle that positiion pretty easily being a ss...

3B Shaw
SS Arcia
2B Bogaerts
1B Jesus (though I am not sold on him......still......seems to be a guy with regression written all over him if you ask me.)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 06, 2019, 2:06 PM Post
The Sox are likely to resign Kimbrel so that will just add another $15M or so to their 2019 payroll. I think they'll go "all-in" for another year then worry about the luxury tax implications next year. I really don't see them moving Bogaerts just to clear ~$5M in actual cost.

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 
 [ 8 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply