LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 23 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Josh Harrison

Offline  Josh Harrison

Posted: November 25, 2018, 9:35 PM Post
Let me preface the conversation by saying I am one who loves Hernan Perez in the super utility role. He does what a 25th man should do and if the Brewers had someone like him in 2008 or 2011 (I so wanted Jerry Hairston, Jr. back then) the outcome of those season may have been different.

BUt, the problem comes when Perez has to play extended time at a position because of injury or lack of production form others. For that, some on this board seem to think he needs to be replaced. If he needs to replaced, who would be able to fit his versatility, but may be better?

My answer is Josh Harrison.

He plays competent to plus defense in multiple positions, up until last year had a bit better OBP than Perez, and I would trust him to play a consistent role at 2B to bridge the gap to Hiura if needed.

The pirates turned down a 10.5 million option on Harrison. Perez is predicted to make 2.7 million in arbitration this year. How much is the slight improvement in batting worth?

Outside of Marwin Gonzalez who will be cost prohibitive, I don't see any option for the role Perez plays besides Harrison.

Thoughts?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Josh Harrison

Posted: November 25, 2018, 9:45 PM Post
ougiqbxy said:
Outside of Marwin Gonzalez who will be cost prohibitive, I don't see any option for the role Perez plays besides Harrison.

Thoughts?

Answers within this entire thread...

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=37816

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 25, 2018, 9:50 PM Post
True Blue Brew Crew said:
ougiqbxy said:

Thoughts?

Answers within this entire thread...

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=37816

That thread is for 2b/3b options. I am looking at it as a super utility multi-positional option that Hernan carries. While some over-lapping/redundancy between that thread and this, it is different.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 25, 2018, 10:30 PM Post
Counterpoint: Outside of one fluke year Josh Harrison has sucked and isn't worth the money it would cost to sign him.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 26, 2018, 12:13 AM Post
At first blush, I like the idea of Josh Harrison. However...

If Josh Harrison were only being paid as a super-utility guy like Hernan Perez, I think he'd be a nice upgrade (career: 20 points better BA & 30 points better OBP). Unfortunately Harrison's usually been more of a starter, even though he can play multiple positions a la Ben Zobrist (or, on a lesser level, Logan Forsythe), so he's definitely in a different pay grade.

Given the latter point, I'm not sure he's a practical super-utility option for us (or even interested in a roving or bench-based role). I'm also not sure he'd be an ideal option for us at 2B cost/benefit- & risk/reward-wise, even compared to Schoop.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 26, 2018, 7:53 AM Post
ougiqbxy said:

Thoughts?

Mauricio Dubon.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Josh Harrison

Posted: November 26, 2018, 9:41 AM Post
I wouldn't mind seeing the Brewers Rule 5'ing Dodger prospect Drew Jackson for competition for Perez's roster spot.

It would be a long-shot but is also a pretty minimal investment.

But I very much doubt the Brewers will look to replace Perez. Counsell seems to love him, definitely seems to think he has a much better bat than he actually has.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 26, 2018, 2:20 PM Post
for the last couple years I have been hoping the crew could get josh....I think he is a winner.....is always fired up and seems like he would fit in great with the guys we have.....I am sure we could get him for about 5 mil a year for 3 yrs.....

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Josh Harrison

Posted: January 10, 2019, 6:22 PM Post
Would one year, 3 million with a game started bonus get it done? $10,000 per start? If he starts 100 games he gets an extra million.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2019, 7:15 PM Post
Is Harrison any better than Perez? Seriously?

I think Harrison sucks. He may be a good locker room guy and well liked, but is he going to put wins up for us?

Hard pass, no interest.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2019, 7:50 PM Post
turborickey said:
Is Harrison any better than Perez? Seriously?

I think Harrison sucks. He may be a good locker room guy and well liked, but is he going to put wins up for us?

Hard pass, no interest.

This is where I'm at with him too. They are pretty much the same player. Harrison prolly makes a little better contact and Hernan is probably a more versatile and reliable defender all around--and is younger. Give me a switch hitter like Cabrera or Solarte, anyway.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2019, 7:52 PM Post
Global Moderator
trwi7 said:
Counterpoint: Outside of one fluke year Josh Harrison has sucked and isn't worth the money it would cost to sign him.

Could say the same about Marwin Gonzalez.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2019, 8:53 PM Post
Global Moderator
3and2Fastball said:
ougiqbxy said:

Thoughts?

Mauricio Dubon.

Stearns has said Dubon won't be starting the season in the majors. Nor will Hiura.

I guess things could change, but they seem to want to wait on those guys at this time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2019, 10:21 PM Post
Not interested.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2019, 11:07 PM Post
homer said:
trwi7 said:

This would be a valid point if I was banging the drum for Gonzalez but I'm not, so I'm not exactly sure what point you're trying to make.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 11, 2019, 9:11 AM Post
Global Moderator
trwi7 said:
homer said:
trwi7 said:

This would be a valid point if I was banging the drum for Gonzalez but I'm not, so I'm not exactly sure what point you're trying to make.

I was kind of agreeing with you and also bringing in Gonzalez since others have been mentioning him. Sorry wasn't so clear.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 11, 2019, 9:32 AM Post
Yup, I had Marwin in fantasy this year so I watched closely. He was atrocious the first half of the year. Imagine the outrage if come mid July he's hitting .220/300 like he was last year while on a multi year deal above 10 mil. My guess is his 2017 will be a huge outlier and he's more like a 260/315 guy the next couple years. Still with that versatility every team would want but you shouldn't be planning on legit top level hitting like he did in 2017 so the price probably becomes tough to justify.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 11, 2019, 9:45 AM Post
Global Moderator
But even if you exclude his monster 2017, he's basically been at or above a .700 OPS every other year of his career since 2013. I haven't looked recently to see what our 2B output was in 2017 aggregated, but I'd be surprised if it surpassed that number offensively. Add in what would be good defense at 2B, I'd think he'd be a solid acquisition even if he never hits like his outlier year again.

Harrison is a different story, if for no other reason than he's older and less likely to sustain/rebound from a bad 2018.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 11, 2019, 9:54 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:
But even if you exclude his monster 2017, he's basically been at or above a .700 OPS every other year of his career since 2013. I haven't looked recently to see what our 2B output was in 2017 aggregated, but I'd be surprised if it surpassed that number offensively. Add in what would be good defense at 2B, I'd think he'd be a solid acquisition even if he never hits like his outlier year again.

Harrison is a different story, if for no other reason than he's older and less likely to sustain/rebound from a bad 2018.

The Spangy/Perez platoon would far surpass that .700-.725ish. Not sure why you would spend significant money on Marwin. I think if they add another 2B/3B it either needs to be a small salary depth move or get someone who is a definite improvement. Marwin seems to be in the middle.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 11, 2019, 9:55 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:

Yea that's fine. But at 3/45ish? Who knows what he'll get, but tough to justify that kind of money for just ok/fine.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 23 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply