LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 38 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2nd Base or Pitcher?

Offline  Re: 2nd Base or Pitcher?

Posted: January 14, 2019, 9:14 AM Post
wallus said:
SRB said:
The clearest upgrade within our budget (if we have any budget left at all) would be a 2B/utility guy like Asdrubal Cabrera.

A platoon would likely put up similar numbers than Cabrera with better defense. Although I would definitely take Cabrera over Harrison. No idea what Cabrera is looking for in terms of a contract.

Cabrera is at best a minimal upgrade over Perez. No thanks. If you can get Deitrich or Solarte (and unload Thames) to play most days vs. RHP, I think either or those two are better bets than Spangenberg or having Perez facing RH pitching. Both can shift over to 3B or 1B to give Aguilar a day off too.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 9:37 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
wallus said:
SRB said:
The clearest upgrade within our budget (if we have any budget left at all) would be a 2B/utility guy like Asdrubal Cabrera.

A platoon would likely put up similar numbers than Cabrera with better defense. Although I would definitely take Cabrera over Harrison. No idea what Cabrera is looking for in terms of a contract.

Cabrera is at best a minimal upgrade over Perez. No thanks. If you can get Deitrich or Solarte (and unload Thames) to play most days vs. RHP, I think either or those two are better bets than Spangenberg or having Perez facing RH pitching. Both can shift over to 3B or 1B to give Aguilar a day off too.

Even if those guys are better (arguably) than Spangenberg, it's too late they already have him. So they have Spangenberg and Shaw vs RHP. What they need is another RH bat so Shaw can sit vs LHP.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 9:45 AM Post
My answer to the question is both. While we can afford Marwin, and he's everyone's ideal target, I'd be shocked if we landed him. I think Cabrera makes much more sense than Harrison as he's significantly better offensively - is a switch hitter with similar splits vs lefties and righties. Defense is clearly his wart. It appears to be mainly due to his lack of range at SS/2b, which can absolutely be mitigated somewhat with shifting. His fielding % isn't brutal so it must be the range where he's getting knocked. But it's a huge positive that he can play SS, 2b, 3b.

Regarding a pitcher, while we don't *need* one I think it's best for the team to add one. I think it needs to be a lefty though so either bring back Miley or target Pomeranz if his medicals check out and they think his velo can return. I think SF holds Bum unless we part with someone we'd prefer not too.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 3:12 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:

Cabrera is at best a minimal upgrade over Perez. No thanks.

Cabrera last year: .262/.316/.458, 2.7 WAR, 111 wRC+

Perez last year: .253/.290/.386, 0.6 WAR, 79 wRC+

Cabrera last three seasons combined: .274/.334/.456, 7.7 WAR, 114 wRC+

Perez last three seasons combined: .262/.294/.411, 2.4 WAR, 83 wRC+

Cabrera is a massive upgrade over Perez.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 3:20 PM Post
I'd still go with IF first. These FAs would be an upgrade to our current 2B situation and would allow Perez to be in his proper role. Also, adding another IF provides insurance on Arcia forgetting how to hit again (Perez could cover that need then). Third, if the IF added is RH you don't need to play Shaw vs lefties.

Also, obviously you never have enough pitching and I could get behind a Miley one year deal but chances are he's holding out for two if he hasn't signed. However, MKE will be adding in Nelson, healthy Davies, Woodruff, Burnes to the potential SP mix this year. So in a way you've already added a bunch of pieces there that should be an improvement on last year's SP production.

Last edited by tmwiese55 on January 14, 2019, 3:40 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 3:32 PM Post
Oldcity said:
Cabrera is a massive upgrade over Perez.

Not to mention Solarte = SPoS

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 7:22 PM Post
A very cheap second baseman to bridge the first two months while the Brewers play the Super Two game with Hiura. I feel pretty good about the pitching and Grandal has solved the catcher problem.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 8:01 PM Post
It wouldn't surprise me if they end up signing both an experienced IF and another P with a legit shot at making the team. Might be nobodies. Might be something better. I'd be surprised if it's someone on either count who'd end up in the starting lineup or the rotation (though I'd love to be proven wrong).

Right now it's just too hard to tell and there are still 2.5 months before Opening Day, and that's the real drop-dead deadline, so to speak.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 18, 2019, 9:22 AM Post
When asked about payroll flexiblity in the wtmj interview, Stearns mentioned that Miley was signed in February last year. I've a feeling that Miley is Stearns main FA target, and Miley will probably be back with the Brewers next month.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 18, 2019, 2:50 PM Post
tigerbrew said:
When asked about payroll flexiblity in the wtmj interview, Stearns mentioned that Miley was signed in February last year. I've a feeling that Miley is Stearns main FA target, and Miley will probably be back with the Brewers next month.

Could be true, however, that laves a lot of time for someone to make him an offer he can't refuse...

Risky to wait too long.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 18, 2019, 3:13 PM Post
If we're talking about a veteran pitcher who might not cost too much, why not bring back Gio?

From 2010-2015, he was very good. 2016 was a down year, but he was 6th in the Cy Young voting in 2017. He struggled for much of 2018 but he was pretty effective in September for the Brewers.

He's 33 - hardly over the hill in terms of age - and would add a LHP to the rotation.

I'm a little surprised that he hasn't signed with anyone yet. Is he asking for too much or is something else going on that I'm unaware of?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 18, 2019, 6:01 PM Post
I would presume that since this is likely his only chance at a big(ish) free agent deal, his asking price is fairly high. Judging from the rest of the offseason, it's probably the # of years that's the issue. I still think he has a lot to offer, wouldn't mind bringing him back at the right price. Even though I'd expect Miley to be a higher priority for DS if they're still looking for a LH starter.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 18, 2019, 7:05 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
anglotiger said:
If we're talking about a veteran pitcher who might not cost too much, why not bring back Gio?

From 2010-2015, he was very good. 2016 was a down year, but he was 6th in the Cy Young voting in 2017. He struggled for much of 2018 but he was pretty effective in September for the Brewers.

He's 33 - hardly over the hill in terms of age - and would add a LHP to the rotation.

I'm a little surprised that he hasn't signed with anyone yet. Is he asking for too much or is something else going on that I'm unaware of?

I'd pass on Gio, & I was actually excited that we got him last year. He just too often felt like a big inning & short outing waiting to happen.

Maybe Miley isn't the answer either. But he seemed more difficult to face than Gonzalez.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 18, 2019, 8:28 PM Post
TooLiveBrew said:
anglotiger said:

I'd pass on Gio, & I was actually excited that we got him last year. He just too often felt like a big inning & short outing waiting to happen.

Maybe Miley isn't the answer either. But he seemed more difficult to face than Gonzalez.

Funnily enough, I'd go the other way. Gio's history suggests much more upside to me. Of course, he'd be much more expensive than Miley...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 18, 2019, 8:52 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
anglotiger said:
TooLiveBrew said:
anglotiger said:

Funnily enough, I'd go the other way. Gio's history suggests much more upside to me. Of course, he'd be much more expensive than Miley...

Oh, no doubt that based on history, Gio looks a lot better (hence why I was happy we got him).

But in terms of how tough each guy looked on opposing hitters, 'in the now'? I thought Miley was significantly better last year. And not just like he got historically lucky -- even without big velocity, Miley looked much tougher than Gonzalez.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 18, 2019, 9:03 PM Post
TooLiveBrew said:
Oh, no doubt that based on history, Gio looks a lot better (hence why I was happy we got him).

But in terms of how tough each guy looked on opposing hitters, 'in the now'? I thought Miley was significantly better last year. And not just like he got historically lucky -- even without big velocity, Miley looked much tougher than Gonzalez.

I wouldn't say that Miley doesn't have big velocity. He was regularly sitting at 93-94 with his fastball, and was getting up up to 96 at times. For a lefty, that's great. His velocity was actually the big thing that surprised me about him last year. I hadn't thought he had that good of an arm. I agree, too, that Miley looked much better than Gio. Gio, while effective for the most part, did appear to always be on the verge of giving up a big inning. I'd be happy to see a Miley reunion.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 18, 2019, 9:57 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
TooLiveBrew said:

I wouldn't say that Miley doesn't have big velocity. He was regularly sitting at 93-94 with his fastball, and was getting up up to 96 at times. For a lefty, that's great. His velocity was actually the big thing that surprised me about him last year. I hadn't thought he had that good of an arm. I agree, too, that Miley looked much better than Gio. Gio, while effective for the most part, did appear to always be on the verge of giving up a big inning. I'd be happy to see a Miley reunion.

91.8 which is about where he's always been.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 18, 2019, 10:05 PM Post
82brewcrew82 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
TooLiveBrew said:

91.8 which is about where he's always been.

Maybe I'm remembering Spring Training then, because I remember seeing mid-90s, and being super surprised by it.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 38 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply