LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 55 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Manny Pina drawing trade interest

Offline  Re: Manny Pina drawing trade interest

Posted: January 14, 2019, 9:44 AM Post
Pina makes a lot of sense for the Red Sox who are trying to control spending a little but but seriously need an upgrade behind the plate

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 9:48 AM Post
Global Moderator
Manny Pina is a really nice fit for Milwaukee. He's cheap and he's pretty good. Is he great? No. He is entering his age 32 season. His bat is average - at best. His base running is not good and his conditioning could be better. He's good with the glove, controlling opposing runners, and handling the staff. All in all, that's a solid player, but not one that is likely to fetch top notch players/prospects in a trade.

In the end, we have a nice asset at a nice price. He's probably best starting 60 games - not 100+. But that's still really valuable. 60 games of Pina - rather than Kratz - is a huge plus.

As a competitive team, I wouldn't mess with the Grandal/Pina team unless someone is truly willing to overpay for Manny - which I highly doubt will happen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 11:32 AM Post
Based on playing time last year, they must think Kratz is better than Pina anyway

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Manny Pina drawing trade interest

Posted: January 14, 2019, 11:54 AM Post
pogokat said:
I think those of you who think Pina is easily replaceable aren't paying attention to the fact that the Brewers weren't willing to replace him with anyone other than a top tier free agent. They passed on Wilson ramos, for example, TWICE, to keep Pina as the starter. Kratz is 39 years old. he's not part of a future team---but i do think the Brewers view Pina as a future contributer, starting role or no.

THIS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 12:09 PM Post
brewmann04 said:
pogokat said:
I think those of you who think Pina is easily replaceable aren't paying attention to the fact that the Brewers weren't willing to replace him with anyone other than a top tier free agent. They passed on Wilson ramos, for example, TWICE, to keep Pina as the starter. Kratz is 39 years old. he's not part of a future team---but i do think the Brewers view Pina as a future contributer, starting role or no.

THIS

Pina isn't easily replaceable, but there might be more value in trading him and signing/trading for a slightly worse version of Pina as the backup to Grandal. That's the crux of the debate here.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 12:15 PM Post
Might not be as accurate for a catcher but does Pina's value as a mainly defensive player take a hit if he is only a part time player?

We all know that defense sample sizes need to be pretty large to get a good read on a defender; even a season's worth of data sometimes isn't a big sample size. So with him at this moment looking like a 60 game catcher does he have more value to a team that would play him fulltime?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 1:33 PM Post
I am all for trading Manny to restock some players in AA & AAA.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 2:04 PM Post
What if Manny is a significant but secondary piece in a bigger deal? Like, Knebel, Piña, Diplan + for Kluber? Maybe DS is thinking big.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 4:31 PM Post
SandyTolan said:
What if Manny is a significant but secondary piece in a bigger deal? Like, Knebel, Piña, Diplan + for Kluber? Maybe DS is thinking big.

I was actually thinking Knebel and Pina for Xander Bogaerts. Fills two needs for the Red Sox....we try Bogaerts at 2B and is insurance for Arcia at SS.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 7:31 PM Post
SandyTolan said:

I like your thinking!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 7:35 PM Post
You have to keep Pina unless blown away and the Nottingham is then your back up. Kratz should be a coach and Vogt even if healthy should go in the tv booth

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 9:19 PM Post
Didn’t Stearns learn the first time he traded a backup catcher?

Trading Maldonado was a questionable move at the time and it certainly ended up a solid fail on the report card. Especially competing now we should want a good backup catcher we can trust. Did last year not teach us anything? Kratz had some nice moments, but he and the rest of the cast sucked even more than the struggle bus Pina was.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 10:06 PM Post
Global Moderator
the struggle bus Pina was.

Is that a typo or ??? I've never heard of a struggle bus. Is that a thing?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 10:30 PM Post
For as relatively little as he costs, the last thing Stearns should do is trade Pina. He won't net anything near a worthwhile return, and one Grandal injury leaves you with 39-year-old Kratz and our AAA guy in Nottingham as the major-league catching duo. Stearns has routinely shown he wants as much depth at good value as he can get. Trading Pina now would go completely counter to that heretofore very team-benefitting approach.

No doubt Pina's first half at the plate was definitely bad. Along with Arcia and the revolving 2B flavor of the day, the lineup (esp. in the first half) had several painful black holes below the #5 hitter. Pina was hitting below .200 in the first half and possibly when he came off the DL in July or whenever that was. Then...

To have his BA end up at .252 -- nearly a 60-point jump -- means overall he hit very well in the 2nd half (.295) -- he wasn't stellar overall for the year, but in spite of a not-good walk rate and unspectacular slugging, Pina's 2nd-half OPS was .756 which isn't to be scoffed at.

His biggest flaw over the year was his heinous failure w/ RISP (11-for-72 = .153/.217/.250) -- especially the fact that he was almost a guaranteed automatic out with the bases loaded (2-for-9 = .222/.182/.222 -- OUCH!). Of course most of the Brewers biggest power threats weren't great w/ RISP, especially in the 2nd half, so Pina had plenty of company on the naughty/inept list.

In summary, Pina's flaws are well-known, but he's still a decent catcher with several positives, not the least of which is that he's fairly cheap and has a few years of team control left. The likely drop-off from Pina to Kratz for only $400k in savings isn't worth the potential risks, esp. considering Grandal's very possibly playing elsewhere in 2020.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2019, 11:10 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Didn’t Stearns learn the first time he traded a backup catcher?

Trading Maldonado was a questionable move at the time and it certainly ended up a solid fail on the report card. Especially competing now we should want a good backup catcher we can trust. Did last year not teach us anything? Kratz had some nice moments, but he and the rest of the cast sucked even more than the struggle bus Pina was.

Maldonado was the same awful hitter after we traded him as he was here, he combined for about 2 total WAR in 3 seasons since the trade, and he cost about 7M for that time.

I really doubt Stearns is losing sleep over that one.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 15, 2019, 12:15 AM Post
All this fuss about Manny..he can't hit his way out of a paper bag..I'd give him up for pennies on the dollar..give me an offensive Catcher everyday of the week over a light hitting defensive catcher anyday of the week..And yes, I totally "get" the catcher position..I was one.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 15, 2019, 1:02 AM Post
Brewcrewin07 said:
All this fuss about Manny..he can't hit his way out of a paper bag..I'd give him up for pennies on the dollar..give me an offensive Catcher everyday of the week over a light hitting defensive catcher anyday of the week..And yes, I totally "get" the catcher position..I was one.

So you'd get rid of him just to dump him? I don't think it'd be hard finding a team to just take him.

I also doubt we'd be able to find a much better offensive option, even if we neglected defense than what Pina has produced for us. .264/.320/.409 slash since he's been in Milwaukee is hardly as poor as you're suggesting, and that's ignoring the defense he brings.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 15, 2019, 11:58 AM Post
I would be okay with them moving Pina in the right deal but I have been on the Pina as a backup catcher bandwagon for a while now. It is a perfect fit for the guy. He will still be an important piece to the team but won't (hopefully) need to be relied on to catch 100+ games. This should benefit all parties.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 15, 2019, 1:06 PM Post
I'd like to keep Pina, as I believe he is one of the best backup C's out there, and for insurance in case of injury.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 15, 2019, 2:38 PM Post
umpref said:
.... and Vogt even if healthy should go in the tv booth

I figured retirement, but I heard Vogt on the radio say he is trying to find a team to latch on to (unless I misheard). If you trade away Pina (only for a good price), I could see Vogt as an option.

Grandal is going to be treated like a rented mule, I assume. So he is going to start 110 games. Vogt's noodle arm is probably even in worse shape than before, but there is less running nowadays. Not my first choice, but if he shows he can still hit enough, which at 34 may be a stretch .....

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 55 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply