LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 55 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Manny Pina drawing trade interest

Offline  Re: Manny Pina drawing trade interest

Posted: January 15, 2019, 3:05 PM Post
Brewcrewin07 said:
All this fuss about Manny..he can't hit his way out of a paper bag..I'd give him up for pennies on the dollar..give me an offensive Catcher everyday of the week over a light hitting defensive catcher anyday of the week..And yes, I totally "get" the catcher position..I was one.

lol, where's your BBREF page so we can roast your stats since Manny is so bad

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Manny Pina drawing trade interest

Posted: January 15, 2019, 3:11 PM Post
yoshii8 said:
I'd like to keep Pina, as I believe he is one of the best backup C's out there, and for insurance in case of injury.

100% agree with this.

As has been mentioned previously, the only way I'd want to trade him is if we got an offer that we simply could not refuse.

It's nice knowing that if Grandal goes down, we have a pretty darn decent guy for back-up.

No way do I want to go into the season with Kratz as the scheduled platoon/back up.

With Manny backing up, we have no reason to worry about the catcher position in 2019.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 15, 2019, 3:57 PM Post
adambr2 said:
MrTPlush said:
Didn’t Stearns learn the first time he traded a backup catcher?

Trading Maldonado was a questionable move at the time and it certainly ended up a solid fail on the report card. Especially competing now we should want a good backup catcher we can trust. Did last year not teach us anything? Kratz had some nice moments, but he and the rest of the cast sucked even more than the struggle bus Pina was.

Maldonado was the same awful hitter after we traded him as he was here, he combined for about 2 total WAR in 3 seasons since the trade, and he cost about 7M for that time.

I really doubt Stearns is losing sleep over that one.

I didn't say he was, but it wasn't a very good move. We had a 40 year old trash heap revolving door the last two years competing when it came to back-up catchers. A solid defense guy like Maldonado would have been great, he is like Pina essentially.

Bandy, Susac, Vogt, Kratz, and Nottingham....that is beyond bad.

Of course he was probably trying to save a few million when we weren't expecting to compete...well, that didn't happen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 15, 2019, 4:08 PM Post
Bandy, Susac, Vogt, Kratz, and Nottingham....that is beyond bad.

A little too much hyperbole there for my liking. Bandy was beyond bad. Susac was beyond beyond bad. But Vogt and Kratz were average to above avg backup catchers. Nottingham, we don't know what he will be yet.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 15, 2019, 4:59 PM Post
Keep Manny, unless the Angels want to deal Trout straight up for him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 15, 2019, 5:54 PM Post
Zad Fnark said:

Where would Cain play?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 16, 2019, 8:15 AM Post
turborickey said:
yoshii8 said:
I'd like to keep Pina, as I believe he is one of the best backup C's out there, and for insurance in case of injury.

100% agree with this.

As has been mentioned previously, the only way I'd want to trade him is if we got an offer that we simply could not refuse.

It's nice knowing that if Grandal goes down, we have a pretty darn decent guy for back-up.

No way do I want to go into the season with Kratz as the scheduled platoon/back up.

With Manny backing up, we have no reason to worry about the catcher position in 2019.

We're not used to it here in Milwaukee because typically we're not a "Good" team....but this is what happens to "good teams" every spot on the 25-man has more and more value/talent. We need to keep Manny as backup C and put together the absolute best 25-40 man roster we can for the 2019 & 2020 and see what happens! After that, our window may close again briefly while we go through hopefully another small regrouping!

I'm hesitant to use the word "rebuild" if we still have DS at that point as he's worked quite a bit of magic in such a short time! But a small regrouping will likely be necessary by 2021 if this team hasn't achieved a WS ring!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 16, 2019, 9:58 AM Post
Brewcrewin07 said:
All this fuss about Manny..he can't hit his way out of a paper bag..I'd give him up for pennies on the dollar..give me an offensive Catcher everyday of the week over a light hitting defensive catcher anyday of the week..And yes, I totally "get" the catcher position..I was one.

Cool - where'd you play college and which summer leagues around here?

And Pina's an above average offensive catcher while also being a great defender and thrower, which makes him an above average catcher overall. Literally all evidence out there shows this. That doesn't mean he can't be upgraded over. He just was but that now makes him one of the best backup catchers in the game. There are plenty of teams where Pina would be an huge upgrade from what they had, including the WS winning Red Sox. Speaking of not being able to hit their way out of a paper bag, Red Sox catching position slashed 194/246/533 last year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 16, 2019, 10:13 AM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Humans Need Water said:
Brewcrewin07 said:

And Pina's an above average offensive catcher while also being a great defender and thrower, which makes him an above average catcher overall. Literally all evidence out there shows this. That doesn't mean he can't be upgraded over. He just was but that now makes him one of the best backup catchers in the game. There are plenty of teams where Pina would be an huge upgrade from what they had, including the WS winning Red Sox. Speaking of not being able to hit their way out of a paper bag, Red Sox catching position slashed 194/246/533 last year.

This is the second post calling out BCin07. Beyond just a general reminder for us all to maintain forum etiquette, I read BCin07's post as he's saying he understands that you can't be too dismissive of all the important defensive work a catcher needs to be good at... but he still prefers an offensive catcher even if you sacrifice some defense.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 16, 2019, 1:21 PM Post
TooLiveBrew said:
Humans Need Water said:
Brewcrewin07 said:

This is the second post calling out BCin07. Beyond just a general reminder for us all to maintain forum etiquette, I read BCin07's post as he's saying he understands that you can't be too dismissive of all the important defensive work a catcher needs to be good at... but he still prefers an offensive catcher even if you sacrifice some defense.

So I'm not allowed to ask him who or where he played?

Also, I have no idea how you interpreted what he said that way. Literally none because what he said was very straight forward. He said Pina was terrible offensively (and that he'll take an offense first catcher all day every day) and knows all this *because* he played catcher himself. Except him playing catcher is irrelevant and provides zero insight into his perspective/opinion not to mention there's zero information that suggests Pina is bad offensively (the eye test answers that without looking at anything else)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 16, 2019, 6:56 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Humans Need Water said:
TooLiveBrew said:

So I'm not allowed to ask him who or where he played?

Also, I have no idea how you interpreted what he said that way. Literally none because what he said was very straight forward. He said Pina was terrible offensively (and that he'll take an offense first catcher all day every day) and knows all this *because* he played catcher himself. Except him playing catcher is irrelevant and provides zero insight into his perspective/opinion not to mention there's zero information that suggests Pina is bad offensively (the eye test answers that without looking at anything else)

The tone of the conversation appeared to me to be shifting, so I posted. Between brooks_quichenick's & your posts, it looked like the conversation was heading in a combative direction. It didn't read to me like either question was being asked 100% conversationally & friendly.

The rest of my post pointed out that it's very plausible that BCin07's post about having played catcher wasn't painted as "I played so I know more than anyone else". Which was the reaction I saw those two posts taking.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 16, 2019, 7:11 PM Post
I don't think it hurts to listen to offers.

That said, if I were Stearns, I'd need to be blown away by an offer to pull the trigger.

This is the type of deal I'd want for Pina:

Tampa Bay gets:
C Manny Pina

Milwaukee gets:
2B/OF Brandon Lowe
C Ronaldo Hernandez

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 18, 2019, 11:25 PM Post
clancyphile said:
Tampa Bay gets:
C Manny Pina

Milwaukee gets:
2B/OF Brandon Lowe
C Ronaldo Hernandez

I would be surprised if you could get both Lowe and their #7 player in the Rays system that had an impressive .832OPS last year at 20 yrs old. I know Pina is on two years of an extraordinarily friendly team deal.

I think that two time defensive Ray of the year Ciuffo would be more to their liking...they would be more likely to pull that trigger since Ciuffo already has two suspensions for a drug of abuse. He can be optioned and Kratz could stay up north for another year.

Regardless of the catcher of choice...if Lowe comes to MKE then Hiura could be involved in a deal for a true #1

Pina for Tampa young C, BLowe (and therefore Kratz by addition)

moreover a guess here...
CRay, Hiura, Supak for Kluber, lottery ticket

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2019, 10:17 AM Post
adambr2 said:
Zad Fnark said:

Where would Cain play?

Easy, move Cain to first, shift Aguilar to third and Shaw to short. Then trade Arcia straight up for DeGrom and boom, there you have it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2019, 12:01 PM Post
ebmackenzie said:
clancyphile said:
Tampa Bay gets:
C Manny Pina

Milwaukee gets:
2B/OF Brandon Lowe
C Ronaldo Hernandez

I would be surprised if you could get both Lowe and their #7 player in the Rays system that had an impressive .832OPS last year at 20 yrs old. I know Pina is on two years of an extraordinarily friendly team deal.

I think that two time defensive Ray of the year Ciuffo would be more to their liking...they would be more likely to pull that trigger since Ciuffo already has two suspensions for a drug of abuse. He can be optioned and Kratz could stay up north for another year.

Regardless of the catcher of choice...if Lowe comes to MKE then Hiura could be involved in a deal for a true #1

Pina for Tampa young C, BLowe (and therefore Kratz by addition)

moreover a guess here...
CRay, Hiura, Supak for Kluber, lottery ticket

Ciuffo's off-field problems are a red flag to me. Not real interested in adding a Bickford behind the plate.

As for the deal, I'd go Nottingham, Erceg for Bauer.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 55 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply