LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  [ 315 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Dallas Keuchel

Offline  Re: Dallas Keuchel
Posted: March 08, 2019, 1:31 PM Post
I would have done a 1 year deal or even a second year

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 08, 2019, 1:51 PM Post
MrAllen said:
RoCoBrewfan said:
Seeing lot's of "+1's" and "this" quotes lately. Just a reminder in the fan forum etiquette section that we want to steer away from these kinds of posts. Thanks

For example, messages that say nothing beyond "I agree," "Ditto," etc., add nothing to a discussion and are candidates to be hidden by moderators. Don't chime in on every thread just because you can; instead, pick your spots for posting, and add something back into the site. Less can be more.

I don't want to steer this too far off topic, but I wonder if someone could add this extension (or one similar) to the board: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2246576

I think there is value to being able to demonstrate that you agree with or like someone's post even if you don't have anything to add to it.

It’s me, I apologize, it won’t happen again.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 08, 2019, 3:18 PM Post
I think an agreement (like) button is LONG overdue.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 08, 2019, 3:53 PM Post
turborickey said:
I think an agreement (like) button is LONG overdue.

Thirded, fourthed, or fifthed, whatever we're up to in agreeing on this idea.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 08, 2019, 4:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
If this is something people want, lets open a discussion on the proper forum

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 08, 2019, 4:23 PM Post
Sorry, looks like I did steer things off topic! There's already a topic about this in the Brewerfan.net Issues & Events section of the site where discussion can continue:

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=33718&p=1199050#p1199050

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 09, 2019, 7:44 AM Post
So I made this (bad) joke to a friend earlier; but if the Brewers don't get Keuchel, I want the Astros to get him. That way Dallas goes to Houston.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 22, 2019, 7:37 PM Post
I still wondering why he was not signed with any team yet.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 23, 2019, 8:08 AM Post
Best guess would be that Scott Boras is still insisting on something like a 4 year, 90 million dollar contract.

I've said in the Kimbrel thread and I'll say it in this one too. If there comes a point where both Keuchel and Kimbrel have to settle for 1 year, 18 million type deals, I'd much rather see the Brewers go with Keuchel. Barring injury, Keuchel would give the Brewers 100+ more innings and add a lefty to the rotation. Would give the Brewers the flexibility to bump either Woodruff or Burnes out of the rotation to give the team another plus-plus bullpen arm. And Burnes/Woodruff could be multi-inning relievers that could be used to cover 6th/7th or 7th/8th....or I'd have confidence in them to be a closer if necessary. Would give Counsell much more flexibility than getting a closer who would likely end up being locked in to 9th inning performances.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 23, 2019, 8:18 AM Post
JosephC said:
Best guess would be that Scott Boras is still insisting on something like a 4 year, 90 million dollar contract.

I've said in the Kimbrel thread and I'll say it in this one too. If there comes a point where both Keuchel and Kimbrel have to settle for 1 year, 18 million type deals, I'd much rather see the Brewers go with Keuchel. Barring injury, Keuchel would give the Brewers 100+ more innings and add a lefty to the rotation. Would give the Brewers the flexibility to bump either Woodruff or Burnes out of the rotation to give the team another plus-plus bullpen arm. And Burnes/Woodruff could be multi-inning relievers that could be used to cover 6th/7th or 7th/8th....or I'd have confidence in them to be a closer if necessary. Would give Counsell much more flexibility than getting a closer who would likely end up being locked in to 9th inning performances.

You make a good case here sir, only thing is if both had to settle for those terms I’d sign them both. Then I’d have a super pen and probably a Series.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 23, 2019, 8:34 AM Post
If they had the choice of signing a upper end reliever or upper end starter to a similar contract, I'd take the starter 10 times out of 10. Like Joseph said, a Keuchel signing theoretically pushes a high-end arm like Woodruff or Burnes to a leverage pen spot, basically giving you two for the price of one. If the Brewers are truly breaking it down to pitchers who provide quality innings, a good Keuchel is going to give you at least double the innings. Even if he gives you an ERA in the low 3s, while Kimbrel gives you an ERA in the low- to mid-2s, Keuchel is still providing more value.

I don't think there's any chance they sign both. If it's a bidding war with the Braves for Kimbrel, the Braves can have him. I'll take the starter.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 23, 2019, 10:21 AM Post
JosephC said:

Can’t argue with this ^
I like Keuchel, lots a GB’s, durable, left handed and eats innings. Because of the down market prob value there, why not?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 24, 2019, 3:59 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
If they had the choice of signing a upper end reliever or upper end starter to a similar contract, I'd take the starter 10 times out of 10. Like Joseph said, a Keuchel signing theoretically pushes a high-end arm like Woodruff or Burnes to a leverage pen spot, basically giving you two for the price of one. If the Brewers are truly breaking it down to pitchers who provide quality innings, a good Keuchel is going to give you at least double the innings. Even if he gives you an ERA in the low 3s, while Kimbrel gives you an ERA in the low- to mid-2s, Keuchel is still providing more value.

I don't think there's any chance they sign both. If it's a bidding war with the Braves for Kimbrel, the Braves can have him. I'll take the starter.

Yes, but that's assuming Kimbrel as a reliever is equal to or similar to Kuechel as a starter. I don't think that's the case. I think Kimbrel's been historically great. Kuechel is a soft tossing lefty who relies on GB's and does not dominante like Kimbrell. A more apt comp would be a Justin Verlander like starter vs a Kimbrell type reliever. I'd also take the starter in a more equal comp like that.

Also, I'd rather not burn another year of Corbin Burnes in the BP as I think a pitcher with his 4 pitch mix, mentality and velocity can be a upper tier starter that you're talking about. You're talking about how much better it is to have a starter...why waste a cheap, homegrown stud like Burnes in the BP?

Then you flip it around and look at how the Brewers succeeded last year, they were able to, especially at the end of the year, get whatever they could out of their starter, patch together the pen to get to the 9th or the last 4 outs because they had a dominant reliever down there in Knebel or Jeffress.

Of course you'd have be 100 pct conident you were getting a healthy and rested Kimbrel and make peace with the fact that you'd likely not see him until the middle of April.

Again, impossible to know, but we could have signed Ottavino for 2 years for what we'd likely have to pay Kimbrel....but, those are the breaks if you want to win a WS. Sometimes you have to overcome bad luck.

And maybe we'll get good luck. Maybe Knebel who's had some issue with his UCL since 2014 in Texas will be back by the ASB and Jeffress and his BP's go really well and he'll be back by mid-May.

I personally am not counting on either at all this year, but how nice would it be to be wrong on that.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 24, 2019, 9:58 AM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
Is it fair to start questioning whether Keuchel and Kimbrel will play this year? I know it is a long season, and perhaps a starter or closer goes down soon or early, but even so, I would think that would only entice a team to pull the trigger on a one year deal - and I am sure there are already many one year deals out there for both of these guys.

What will change in the next week/month/season where a team will over pay in both dollars and years? I just dont see it happening. Are they prepared to both go full LeVeon Bell?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 24, 2019, 6:19 PM Post
JackNicholson1974 said:
Is it fair to start questioning whether Keuchel and Kimbrel will play this year? I know it is a long season, and perhaps a starter or closer goes down soon or early, but even so, I would think that would only entice a team to pull the trigger on a one year deal - and I am sure there are already many one year deals out there for both of these guys.

What will change in the next week/month/season where a team will over pay in both dollars and years? I just dont see it happening. Are they prepared to both go full LeVeon Bell?

No, I don't think so. This has happened before in baseball. You have 6 months and 162 games. And if they both sit out a year, they're not going to come back next year and see a stronger FA market for them.

Le'Veon himself was an outlier, now take that it's much more common for this to happen in baseball than football and I don't think there's any chance, barring injury, both are't pitching in the big leagues this year and sooner rather than later.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  [ 315 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply