LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next  [ 471 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Dallas Keuchel

Online  Re: Dallas Keuchel
Posted: March 31, 2019, 8:41 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:
Brew4U said:
If signing Keuchel means moving Woodruff to the pen, count me out.

I think the point is that having one more starter gives flexibility to either use one of the starters as a way to bolster the bullpen, or insurance against ineffectiveness should one of them prove unready. That's the reason I'd support signing him.

I just don’t want it to hinder the next step in the process of our younger pitchers. While depth is great and I’m a huge advocate of building as much of it as you can, I also feel like the time is now to let out young pitchers have at it in the roatation.

Online  Re: Dallas Keuchel
Posted: March 31, 2019, 8:44 AM Post
The rotation is pretty set, and they have Anderson, Nelson and Houser waiting in reserve for ML starts. While I wish one of those guys was a lefty, the rotation actually has more quality depth than I can remember.

Offline  Re: Dallas Keuchel
Posted: March 31, 2019, 8:45 AM Post
Global Moderator
I agree, Brew4U. I'm fine rolling with what we have. I'm sure, though, that at some point we'll need depth due to injury or ineffectiveness.

And that does roll into the question of what we can afford. Injury contingency is exactly what the Brewers are probably worried about having reserves for....

Posted: March 31, 2019, 8:46 AM Post
Global Moderator
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
The rotation is pretty set, and they have Anderson, Nelson and Houser waiting in reserve for ML starts. While I wish one of those guys was a lefty, the rotation actually has more quality depth than I can remember.

I'm just nervous about relying on Nelson for much, at least as a starter. Anderson is certainly a valid option, though, but they'll have to strech him out in case of an injury mid-season.

Posted: March 31, 2019, 8:48 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
PeaveyFury said:
Brew4U said:

I think the point is that having one more starter gives flexibility to either use one of the starters as a way to bolster the bullpen, or insurance against ineffectiveness should one of them prove unready. That's the reason I'd support signing him.

But we can’t afford him.

Enough with the condescending remarks in multiple threads. It’s a discussion board where we discuss ideas in a civil manner. Stop trying to throw your agenda all over this board and trying to bait people into arguments on here with nonfactual and extreme “hot takes”.

Posted: March 31, 2019, 8:53 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:
Brew4U said:

Moving Burnes or Woodruff to the pen this year does nothing to impact their future outlook. Cardinals were never hesitant to put guys like Wainwright in the pen to start off and it had zero negative impact on him. Despite Woodruff picking up considerable service time in 2017 and 2018, he still entered this season with less than 1 year of MLB service time and Burnes is not close to that number. I'd have no major issue with adding Keuchel and kicking either Woodruff or Burnes to the bullpen to provide a potentially plus-plus multi-inning reliever to the mix (especially as I see those guys providing more value than a traditional closer).

I don't even buy, not for one second, the argument that if Woodruff/Burnes pitches in the bullpen this year then they must have an artificial inning limit the following year. Wainwright threw 75 innings as a reliever in 2006, and then threw 202 innings in 2007 and from 2007 forward was a 146-84, 3.31 ERA, 3.29 FIP pitcher.

That being said, I'd pass on both Keuchel and Kimbrel at this point and wait and see what the roster looks like at the deadline. What if Braun and Cain are both hurt? The Brewer's aren't exactly great in terms of outfield depth. What if Arcia hits nothing and Dubon turns out to not be a MLB player? Brewers really want Moustakas starting everyday at shortstop? What happens if Grandal takes a fastball off the wrist and is out for 12 weeks and Pena is hitting nothing?

Outside of a lack of lefty pitching, I kind of like the way the 40-man roster shapes up. Let's see what it looks like about a week into July. Would rather save the remaining funds until then.

Posted: March 31, 2019, 11:14 AM Post
RollieTime said:
I wonder if Keuchel could be had on something like a 1/$10 million contract. He might not like it, but it’s better than sitting at home and not getting anything. It would allow the Brewers to move someone like Woodruff to the bullpen to solidify the back of the bullpen.

I think that's way too low for a 1 year deal. He'd have plenty of suitors for even a 4/40 type of deal, if he's taking a 1 year deal it'll be for a significant amount. I really like the idea of having a left handed starter who can go deep into games, I feel like that'll make our bullpen a lot better even without taking into account someone moving there. If that signing would mean that there was no room for deadline moves however I'd be a bit more hesitant, but I do like the idea of Keuchel.

Posted: March 31, 2019, 4:54 PM Post
Ken Rosenthal and Dennis Lin of The Athletic report that the Padres "are engaged in continuing dialogue" with Dallas Keuchel's camp.

The Padres seem intent on adding rotation help, as they've been connected to Trevor Bauer and Marcus Stroman via trade, as well. However, the report notes that the Padres "are not close on any addition" and "have been unwilling to meet the price of Keuchel’s agent, Scott Boras." While San Diego has a handful of promising young starters, a rotation stabilizer like Keuchel would make a lot of sense.

Source: The Athletic
Mar 31, 2019, 2:42 PM

Posted: March 31, 2019, 5:14 PM Post
That is fine for SD i think i pretty ok with the Brewers rotation and @ this point want the Big Reliever.

Posted: March 31, 2019, 7:41 PM Post
Global Moderator
turborickey said:
Ken Rosenthal and Dennis Lin of The Athletic report that the Padres "are engaged in continuing dialogue" with Dallas Keuchel's camp.

The Padres seem intent on adding rotation help, as they've been connected to Trevor Bauer and Marcus Stroman via trade, as well. However, the report notes that the Padres "are not close on any addition" and "have been unwilling to meet the price of Keuchel’s agent, Scott Boras." While San Diego has a handful of promising young starters, a rotation stabilizer like Keuchel would make a lot of sense.

Source: The Athletic
Mar 31, 2019, 2:42 PM

A sentence from the article:

The Mets and Brewers are among the other clubs that have checked in on Keuchel, though the Brewers remain more interested in the other top remaining free agent, reliever Craig Kimbrel, sources say.

It does go on to say that Brewers club officials seem pessimistic about getting a deal done with Kimbrel.

Posted: March 31, 2019, 7:44 PM Post
Global Moderator
I'm not pessimistic about getting a deal done with Kimbrel. At this point, I'd rather they don't.....

Posted: March 31, 2019, 8:57 PM Post
JosephC said:
The Brewer's aren't exactly great in terms of outfield depth. What if Arcia hits nothing and Dubon turns out to not be a MLB player? Brewers really want Moustakas starting everyday at shortstop? What happens if Grandal takes a fastball off the wrist and is out for 12 weeks and Pena is hitting nothing?

Outside of a lack of lefty pitching, I kind of like the way the 40-man roster shapes up. Let's see what it looks like about a week into July. Would rather save the remaining funds until then.

Disagree on the outfield depth part.

Corey Ray, Tyrone Taylor, and Troy Stokes are in AAA, and all three of them are good.

My only beef is that the Crew isn't working Ray in enough at first in addition to the outfield - which could make him an upgrade over Thames in cost and defense.

While Ray had a good 2018, Stokes had a good 2017 and 2018. He's Khris Davis Lite with speed and the abilty to play defense.

Taylor re-emerged in 2018 after he got healthy. He's the biggest question mark of the three. If the Crew were to make a deal with the Giants for Will Smith, he'd be the guy I'd send.

Posted: April 07, 2019, 5:58 AM Post
The Brewers really could use a lefty in their rotation with big game experience. I like Woodruff and Burnes but either have the stuff to be high leverage relievers. They both have promise as starters but are likely to suffer growing pains getting through lineups multiple times.

Posted: April 07, 2019, 6:43 AM Post
Dream on
Crew not gonna spend what it would take to land Kuechel. Attanasio has a HARD CAP, trade deadline included.

Posted: April 07, 2019, 8:10 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Dream on
Crew not gonna spend what it would take to land Kuechel. Attanasio has a HARD CAP, trade deadline included.

Got a link to that privileged information?

Posted: April 07, 2019, 8:28 AM Post
turborickey said:
Brew crew 92 said:
Dream on

That’s what we’ve been told by Haudricourt. I’m done jousting with people on this site with regards to what I believe what crews payroll COULD be.

Posted: April 07, 2019, 8:42 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
turborickey said:
Brew crew 92 said:
Dream on

That’s what we’ve been told by Haudricourt. I’m done jousting with people on this site with regards to what I believe what crews payroll COULD be.

What you believe and what you often state as fact are two totally different things.

I think it would be great if you were done arguing with people on this site. I can probably speak for everyone in saying that would be welcomed. You are typically a combative poster, which is why you irritate so many with your posting style. Apologizing, and fake politeness don't get you anywhere either.

Just chill out, state your beliefs as opinions rather than cold hard facts and things will go better for you here.

You are not a victim.

Posted: April 07, 2019, 12:46 PM Post
If they have money to sign Keuchel and are choosing not to, it's completely idiotic.

I'm optimistic about the longterm prospects of Woodruff/Burnes/Peralta, but it's very obvious that they are still young SP working through growing pains. You can't have the majority of your rotation be those type of guys when you are trying to contend NOW.

Yelich and Cain are still MVP-caliber players, we have Grandal and Moustakas for just one season, Braun is still formidable but not for much longer.

They NEED to stabilize the rotation.

Posted: April 07, 2019, 12:54 PM Post
Global Moderator
Eh. Keuchel's looking for multiple years. Maybe 5 years. I want nothing to do with Keuchel on a 5 year deal. There's no indication at this point he's willing to take a one or even two year deal at this point. We've been down this road before, and I'm just not sure I want to the Brewers going 5 years with a 31 year old starter who's already got a declining K rate.

Posted: April 07, 2019, 1:12 PM Post
If its crazy for the brewers to do a 5 year deal and glad they are staying away. If he would do a one or two deal then i would hope they be in the mix.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next  [ 471 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply