LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 154 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Remaining top free agent predictions

Offline  Remaining top free agent predictions

Posted: January 23, 2019, 8:35 AM Post
There are still many top names out there on the market as we reach the end of January. I get the feeling these guys are going to start going pretty quick now. I thought it might be fun to guess where they are going to end up.

1. Bryce Harper - Angels: The Angels seem so generic, so they sign a guy that will provide some identity.

2. Manny Machado - Phillies: The team with "stupid money" uses a crapload of it to make a stupid signing.

3. A.J. Pollack - Dodgers: Uncertainty in the OF filled with a versatile, albeit injury-prone player.

4. Dallas Kuechel - Yankees: Cashman and the Yankees LOL at those who believed they'd spend smartly and be budget conscious this year.

5. Craig Kimbrel - Phillies: More "stupid money" on overpaying for a reliever.

6. Mike Moustakas - Padres: I could easily see the Brewers signing him too, but for some reason the Padres think they are going to compete this year, so I could see this too.

7. Marwin Gonzalez - Brewers: The longer he sits on the open market, the more I believe he's a Brewers target. He just makes so much sense on this roster both currently and in the future.

8. Gio Gonzalez - White Sox: Seems like the perfect White Sox pitcher (i.e. a vet they can sign to a cheap, short-term contract, then flip at the deadline)

9. Adam Jones - Indians: This makes so much sense, which means it probably won't happen.

10. Wade Miley - Braves: So much talk about the Braves awesome pitching prospects, yet they are continuously shopping for cheap starters. I could see him re-upping with the Brewers too, especially if Anderson is moved.

11. Jose Iglesias - Pirates: Solid defense and blah offense. Seems like a Pirate to me.

12. Josh Harrison - Dodgers: Signs a cheap deal to chase a ring.

There are obviously many other free agents out there that will sign in the coming weeks. It will be interesting to watch.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions

Posted: January 23, 2019, 8:42 AM Post
I be very happy with Miley and Gonzalez

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 8:55 AM Post
The White Sox are going to make a bigger splash than Gio Gonzalez. They aren't looking for flip candidates and Reinsdorf is ready to open the wallet.. They are serious about a .500 team in 2019 and contending in 2020 not adding to their already well stocked farm system. They added one solid vet already in Ivan Nova to go with their young starting core. Dylan Cease will be a TOR starter in the not too distant future, and Eloy Jimenez is a future superstar.

I still think they are favorites to get Machado and their backup plan is Moustakas but don't be surprised if they're in on Marwin Gonzalez too.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 9:00 AM Post
1. Bryce Harper - Nats: this is tough. It's been pretty quiet on the Harper front.

2. Manny Machado - Phillies: they'll get one of the two top guys.

3. A.J. Pollock - Giants??: I don't really know, but that outfield is terrible. I mean so are the Giants, but I have no feel for this.

4. Dallas Kuechel - Angels: Honestly no idea...

5. Craig Kimbrel - Red Sox: this feels inevitable to me. Almost like the JD Martinez signing from last year.

6. Mike Moustakas - Padres:sure

7. Marwin Gonzalez - Pirates: they have a super low payroll. Don't really have any guys that demand 600+ PAs other than Marte. Gonzalez can play every day there moving around the diamond and add stability to the roster.

8. Gio Gonzalez - A's: they sorta had a hodge podge group last lear, but should get some guys back from injury. Gonzalez adds some stability.

9. Adam Jones - Indians: Sure, but who cares? I don't think he's all that good anymore.

10. Wade Miley - Brewers: I think this happens. If it's not Miley, I think it's Gio.

11. Jose Iglesias - Brewers: Arcia insurance and maybe some second base to open the season.

12. Josh Harrison - Orioles:?? lol. Sign and flip at the deadline.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 10:11 AM Post
Bryce Harper - Washington Nationals
Manny Machado - New York Yankees
Dallas Keuchel - Philadelphia Phillies
Craig Kimbrel - Philadelphia Phillies
A.J. Pollack - Los Angeles Dodgers
Marwin Gonzalez - San Diego Padres
Gio Gonzalez - Houston Astros
Mike Moustakas - Philadelphia Phillies
Wade Miley - Washington Nationals
Adam Jones - Cleveland Indians
Josh Harrison - Los Angeles Angels
Jose Iglesias - Pittsburgh Pirates

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions

Posted: January 23, 2019, 10:24 AM Post
If Miley and Marwin ended up as Brewers I would be pumped. I have no idea how that would work payroll wise but if Stearns and Mark thought we had the money than we would be set up so well for this year.

1b - Aguilar/Thames (although you would think he would need to be moved to make salaries work)
2b - Gonzalez/Perez/Spang
SS - Arcia/Perez/Gonzalez
3B - Shaw/Gonzalez
C - Grandal/Pina
OF - Yelich/Cain/Braun/Gamel/Thames

SP - Chacin/Miley/Burnes/Nelson/Peralta/Woodruff/Davies/Anderson (although also seems like he would be gone
RP - Hader/Jeffress/Knebel/a starter or two/Guerra/the lefty they traded for/Williams/Barnes

That would lead to some interesting roster decisions for sure

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 11:01 AM Post
1. Bryce Harper - Phillies

2. Manny Machado - White Sox

3. A.J. Pollack - Dodgers

4. Dallas Kuechel - Phillies

5. Craig Kimbrel - Phillies

6. Mike Moustakas - Phillies

7. Marwin Gonzalez - Angels

8. Wade Miley - Brewers or Phillies

9. Josh Harrison - Rays

I omitted a couple that I don't feel like are quality players and will sign minimal deals somewhere. Even Miley and Harrison seem like stretches to include in a top FA list, but I included them as both are noted in Brewers rumors. The Phillies I expect to go a bit nuts obviously. Their lineup is notably right handed, so I think they aim more for Harper than Machado...and bring in Moustakas as a quality bat to add balance.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 12:47 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
I would love to see Harper go to the Angels. Id watch so many Angels games. That would be so fun..plus out of the National League

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 12:52 PM Post
Global Moderator
Bryce Harper - Nationals
Manny Machado - White Sox
Dallas Keuchel - Reds or Phillies
Craig Kimbrel - Red Sox
A.J. Pollock - Dodgers
Marwin Gonzalez - Phillies
Gio Gonzalez - A's
Mike Moustakas - Brewers
Wade Miley - Angels
Adam Jones - Orioles
Josh Harrison - Angels
Jose Iglesias - Mariners
Drew Pomeranz - Giants

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 1:23 PM Post
Eye Black said:
Drew Pomeranz - Giants

LOL I see what you did there [wink]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 1:36 PM Post
Harper - Nationals retain him.
Machado - Phillies. They're dumb enough to.
Keuchel - Yankees. They're not done just yet.
Kimbral - Padres.
Moustakas - Mariners. Becomes insurance for Seager and a DH.
Marwin Gonzalez - Brewers. Becomes 2B, then joins bench.
Gio Gonzalez - Mets. Joins Thor and DeGrom.
Miley - Brewers. Returns to where he found new life.
Jones - Miami. Becomes mentor to/insurance for Brinson.
Harrison - Pirates. Returns to be a thorn in the Crew's side.
Iglesias - Orioles. Becomes a flip candidate at the deadline.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 1:38 PM Post
I can't imagine after talking such a big game, that the Phillies don't get one of Machado/Harper. I bet Vegas odds would be close to 1 to 1 that the Phillies get at least one of those guys.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 1:39 PM Post
Why are several posters suggesting that signing Machado is stupid for the Phillies (or anyone)?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 1:41 PM Post
Of course I have no idea what offers Harper is seeing. But let's assume they're not in that ridiculous mega space he'd assumed. At this point I think his best move is to just go back to WAS on that similar deal he was offered by them before this all started. Try and get yourself an opt out after 2-3 years. Good PR, team is legit good.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 1:43 PM Post
bill hAll Star said:
Why are several posters suggesting that signing Machado is stupid for the Phillies (or anyone)?

Because they have Franco at 3rd

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 1:47 PM Post
bill hAll Star said:

In my opinion, if you are going to sign a player to that kind of contract, he should be a solid ambassador for the game and for your team. Machado isn't even a solid ambassador for himself. Yeah, he's probably going to put up good numbers wherever he goes. He's a top 5 offensive player in the game. But his shenanigans in the playoffs last year were not isolated incidents. He's a douche.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 2:28 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
But his shenanigans in the playoffs last year were not isolated incidents. He's a douche.

Brewers fans aren't the only ones who think that.

I know that I mentioned this once before but I have a friend in the L.A. area who is a massive Dodgers fan. He wasn't happy that the Dodgers outbid the Brewers for Machado before the deadline (because he thinks Machado is "a tool"), and later expressed to me how upset he'd be if they re-signed him - regardless of the amount of money. He said that he couldn't stand feeling like he had to root for someone who plays the game like Machado, no matter how good his bat...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 2:29 PM Post
JackNicholson1974 said:
I would love to see Harper go to the Angels. Id watch so many Angels games. That would be so fun..plus out of the National League

It would be awesome to watch Trout and Harper, but I don't see it happening. If that dang Pujols contract wasn't weighing them down for another 3 year, then perhaps. I think they will stick with Upton, Trout, and Calhoun as their OF'ers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 2:30 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
bill hAll Star said:

In my opinion, if you are going to sign a player to that kind of contract, he should be a solid ambassador for the game and for your team. Machado isn't even a solid ambassador for himself. Yeah, he's probably going to put up good numbers wherever he goes. He's a top 5 offensive player in the game. But his shenanigans in the playoffs last year were not isolated incidents. He's a douche.

Have you really dug deep into his numbers? You'd probably be surprised even just looking at his 2017 which is obviously very recent. The bold is probably a big overstatement if talking pure offense (not offense for someone who can play SS).

Overall though I think the logic would be that handing out a ridiculous deal fro someone with this attitude concerns could be a problem for the mentioned ambassador stuff but also that he could be the type to take his 200 mil and then his effort curtails. Combine that if you dig into his hitting he's not thaaaaaat crazy good as the reputation is implying.

Whereas Harper to me I don't think that effort thing is a concern at all, he's got that crazy competitive vibe to him.

That said, if all these points are cutting his cost drastically so he's not in that ridiculous world initially discussed then it becomes more palatable. Like that rumored White Sox deal isn't crazy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2019, 2:36 PM Post
bill hAll Star said:

The Phillies owner was quoted early in the off-season that they were going to be stupid with some of their money this free agent season...

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 154 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply