LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 154 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Remaining top free agent predictions

Author Message
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions
#21

Posted: January 23, 2019, 2:38 PM Post
Posts: 4804
Location: Madison, WI
OnaBadger58 said:
JackNicholson1974 said:
I would love to see Harper go to the Angels. Id watch so many Angels games. That would be so fun..plus out of the National League

It would be awesome to watch Trout and Harper, but I don't see it happening. If that dang Pujols contract wasn't weighing them down for another 3 year, then perhaps. I think they will stick with Upton, Trout, and Calhoun as their OF'ers.


Agree. And with Ohtani you have DH covered too.

I did see an article trying to narrow down the mystery team on Machado and it made a strong case for the Angels. Could be forgetting something, but essentially move Cozart from 3b to 2b and play Manny at 3rd. I don't think they really have a 2B now. Don't rip me if I'm wrong, going off memory. Then you have Pujols money coming off soon to re-up Trout with. They're still massively weak on pitching but I could see it.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions
#22

Posted: January 23, 2019, 2:45 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9476
tmwiese55 said:
OnaBadger58 said:
JackNicholson1974 said:
I would love to see Harper go to the Angels. Id watch so many Angels games. That would be so fun..plus out of the National League

It would be awesome to watch Trout and Harper, but I don't see it happening. If that dang Pujols contract wasn't weighing them down for another 3 year, then perhaps. I think they will stick with Upton, Trout, and Calhoun as their OF'ers.


Agree. And with Ohtani you have DH covered too.

I did see an article trying to narrow down the mystery team on Machado and it made a strong case for the Angels. Could be forgetting something, but essentially move Cozart from 3b to 2b and play Manny at 3rd. I don't think they really have a 2B now. Don't rip me if I'm wrong, going off memory. Then you have Pujols money coming off soon to re-up Trout with. They're still massively weak on pitching but I could see it.


They traded for La Stella. Does he count as a 2B?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions
#23

Posted: January 23, 2019, 2:57 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2630
tmwiese55 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
bill hAll Star said:
Why are several posters suggesting that signing Machado is stupid for the Phillies (or anyone)?


In my opinion, if you are going to sign a player to that kind of contract, he should be a solid ambassador for the game and for your team. Machado isn't even a solid ambassador for himself. Yeah, he's probably going to put up good numbers wherever he goes. He's a top 5 offensive player in the game. But his shenanigans in the playoffs last year were not isolated incidents. He's a douche.


Have you really dug deep into his numbers? You'd probably be surprised even just looking at his 2017 which is obviously very recent. The bold is probably a big overstatement if talking pure offense (not offense for someone who can play SS).

Overall though I think the logic would be that handing out a ridiculous deal fro someone with this attitude concerns could be a problem for the mentioned ambassador stuff but also that he could be the type to take his 200 mil and then his effort curtails. Combine that if you dig into his hitting he's not thaaaaaat crazy good as the reputation is implying.

Whereas Harper to me I don't think that effort thing is a concern at all, he's got that crazy competitive vibe to him.

That said, if all these points are cutting his cost drastically so he's not in that ridiculous world initially discussed then it becomes more palatable. Like that rumored White Sox deal isn't crazy.


1. I don't think "all of these points are cutting his cost drastically." Call it collusion or just smarter ownership under different constraints but they aren't offering this sort of money to anyone. If he signs a smaller-than-expected deal people will say it's "because he's a douche" which may account for him losing like 5% of his perceived value, but not $160 million instead of $300 million.

2. Replying to the 3 or so people - yes, he's a crappy person on the field (Machado) and very self-absorbed. It could backfire in effort or some sort of PR disaster but to me, I wouldn't blame an organization for paying him a bunch of money to play for their team.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions
#24

Posted: January 23, 2019, 2:58 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2630
The Angels could probably barely sneak Machado or Harper in under the luxury tax threshold if that is their goal. If it's Harper, they probably wouldn't have a huge problem moving Calhoun for a similarly overpriced 1 year risk at pitcher or just eating a few million and giving him away. Poo Holes can be a part-time guy at 1B and DH. At this point he can't really complain about that role.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions
#25

Posted: January 23, 2019, 3:01 PM Post
Posts: 4804
Location: Madison, WI
Point 1) Yea I could've phrased better, I didn't just mean the things I noted and posters in that thread. I think you're correct and we're on the same page. I mean just everything overall whatever it is, so that if now his deal is in the 150 mil area instead of 300 mil like was though pre-FA (or at least he dreamed of) then it makes signing way more realistic for many. Basically, 10/300 most teams just go absolutely not no way we can do it. get down to 6/160 well OK we can talk.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions
#26

Posted: January 23, 2019, 3:01 PM Post
Posts: 5140
Location: New Berlin, WI
I wonder to some degree if teams are specifically trying to lock out Boras. His clients have suffered more than any others the last couple years. Or maybe Boras is simply getting overly ridiculous with his asking prices. Keuchel, Harper, Moose, Gonzalez...that's 4 of the clear top 7 remaining free agents as Boras clients.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions
#27

Posted: January 23, 2019, 3:13 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2142
1. Bryce Harper

I wonder if the Nats would stick by the 10/$300M offer they made at the end of the season given it sounds like teams are not inclined to go past 7 years on Harper?

I know that they're the elite of the current FA class, but both Harper and Machado are really the lower end of elite in MLB. Neither has put up the numbers of Mookie Betts/Mike Trout (few players have), but they are really in the mix with a lot of players who can put up 30WAR in 6 years... Do you break the bank for them then what's left when a true elite player like Trout/Betts comes? Yelich looks like a 5WAR player, Jose Ramirez may have surpassed Machado in value, so have Bregman and Lindor. While both of these guys have numbers that are better than most of the current Free Agents, there's a lot of talent in MLB that is close to them or better, so do you break the current salary structure for them when there will be 20+ of the same type coming and looking for similar deals. I wouldn't blink to give Trout a 8 year $40M-$50M AAV contract as he will likely end his career as the greatest of all time... Machado and Harper are in the top 30-40 players, not the top 10-15...

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions
#28

Posted: January 23, 2019, 3:52 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1252
Location: La Crosse
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
They traded for La Stella. Does he count as a 2B?


They have Taylor Ward (3b) who broke out last year in the minors. I have no idea if they think that can translate to big league success, but he may be the current option along with La Stella. Angels haven't had a 3rd baseman since Troy Glaus (thanks Dallas McPherson and Brandon Wood).


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions
#29

Posted: January 23, 2019, 4:37 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6569
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Eye Black said:
Drew Pomeranz - Giants


LOL I see what you did there [wink]

Oh wow, would you look at that... I totally randomly already picked one correct! [laughing]


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions
#30

Posted: January 23, 2019, 7:00 PM Post
Posts: 48
Location: Beaver Dam WI
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
There are still many top names out there on the market as we reach the end of January. I get the feeling these guys are going to start going pretty quick now. I thought it might be fun to guess where they are going to end up.

1. Bryce Harper - Angels: The Angels seem so generic, so they sign a guy that will provide some identity.

2. Manny Machado - Phillies: The team with "stupid money" uses a crapload of it to make a stupid signing.

3. A.J. Pollack - Dodgers: Uncertainty in the OF filled with a versatile, albeit injury-prone player.

4. Dallas Kuechel - Yankees: Cashman and the Yankees LOL at those who believed they'd spend smartly and be budget conscious this year.

5. Craig Kimbrel - Phillies: More "stupid money" on overpaying for a reliever.

6. Mike Moustakas - Padres: I could easily see the Brewers signing him too, but for some reason the Padres think they are going to compete this year, so I could see this too.

7. Marwin Gonzalez - Brewers: The longer he sits on the open market, the more I believe he's a Brewers target. He just makes so much sense on this roster both currently and in the future.

8. Gio Gonzalez - White Sox: Seems like the perfect White Sox pitcher (i.e. a vet they can sign to a cheap, short-term contract, then flip at the deadline)

9. Adam Jones - Indians: This makes so much sense, which means it probably won't happen.

10. Wade Miley - Braves: So much talk about the Braves awesome pitching prospects, yet they are continuously shopping for cheap starters. I could see him re-upping with the Brewers too, especially if Anderson is moved.

11. Jose Iglesias - Pirates: Solid defense and blah offense. Seems like a Pirate to me.

12. Josh Harrison - Dodgers: Signs a cheap deal to chase a ring.

There are obviously many other free agents out there that will sign in the coming weeks. It will be interesting to watch.






I hope your description of the Angels in your initial post was sarcasm. [laughing] Mike Trout doesn't give the Angels an identity? Lol


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions
#31

Posted: January 23, 2019, 7:03 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9476
bigred said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
There are still many top names out there on the market as we reach the end of January. I get the feeling these guys are going to start going pretty quick now. I thought it might be fun to guess where they are going to end up.

1. Bryce Harper - Angels: The Angels seem so generic, so they sign a guy that will provide some identity.

2. Manny Machado - Phillies: The team with "stupid money" uses a crapload of it to make a stupid signing.

3. A.J. Pollack - Dodgers: Uncertainty in the OF filled with a versatile, albeit injury-prone player.

4. Dallas Kuechel - Yankees: Cashman and the Yankees LOL at those who believed they'd spend smartly and be budget conscious this year.

5. Craig Kimbrel - Phillies: More "stupid money" on overpaying for a reliever.

6. Mike Moustakas - Padres: I could easily see the Brewers signing him too, but for some reason the Padres think they are going to compete this year, so I could see this too.

7. Marwin Gonzalez - Brewers: The longer he sits on the open market, the more I believe he's a Brewers target. He just makes so much sense on this roster both currently and in the future.

8. Gio Gonzalez - White Sox: Seems like the perfect White Sox pitcher (i.e. a vet they can sign to a cheap, short-term contract, then flip at the deadline)

9. Adam Jones - Indians: This makes so much sense, which means it probably won't happen.

10. Wade Miley - Braves: So much talk about the Braves awesome pitching prospects, yet they are continuously shopping for cheap starters. I could see him re-upping with the Brewers too, especially if Anderson is moved.

11. Jose Iglesias - Pirates: Solid defense and blah offense. Seems like a Pirate to me.

12. Josh Harrison - Dodgers: Signs a cheap deal to chase a ring.

There are obviously many other free agents out there that will sign in the coming weeks. It will be interesting to watch.






I hope your description of the Angels in your initial post was sarcasm. [laughing] Mike Trout doesn't give the Angels an identity? Lol


Wasn't there a whole argument last year that Trout should be way more marketable than he actually is? He doesn't have a ton of personality. The Angels have star power, but that isn't the same as identity. That team is a listless ship right now.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions
#32

Posted: January 23, 2019, 9:00 PM Post
Posts: 56
Bryce Harper: Twins. With no money on the books and the tribe looking vulnerable the Twins sweep in with an 9 year, $333 million contract (Harper happy because it beats Stantons total $)

Manny Machado: Chicago White Sox. White Sox have done numerous things to ensure Manny comes. evenually accepts 7 year, $210 million contract.

A.J. Pollock: Phillies. Phillies panic after not landing one of the top two, sign Pollock to shocking 5 year, $105 million contract to ensure Pollock comes.

Dallas Kuechel: Phillies. Still in shock mode, Phillies succumb to Kuechel's demands of 5 years, $100 million.

Craig Kimbrel: Cardinals. Market never materializes, Cardinals need closer and wants the man in camp long before what happened last year. Signs Kimbrel to a 1 year, $22 million contract.

Mike Moustakas: Phillies. Phillies have a bit of stupid money leftover from not landing top two, only team to offer Moustakas a three year deal at 3 years, $27 million.

Marwin Gonzalez: Pirates, market never materializes since teams that value versatility don't show interest. Pirates enter in the side door and land him for 4 years, $28 million.

Gio Gonzalez: Giants. Why stop at Holland and Pomeranz?!? Get another lefty on incentive laden deal at 1 year, $4 million with incentives that could bring total to $10 million.

Adam Jones: Rockies. Rockies make another move to block David Dahl. Jones sees opportunity to follow along same lines of past vets who are not in their prime and put up ridiculous numbers at the end of their career puts up career year with his 1 year, $8 million contract.

Wade Miley: Astros. Astros see cheaper version of Dallas Kuechel and offers 3 years, $15 million to have some stability with rotation beyond 2019.

Jose Iglesias: Mariners. Mariners pay him 1 year, $4 million as insurance for J.P. Crawford and somehow gets involved with a three way team trade with the Padres and Yankees ending up with the Padres who, in turn, flips him back to the Mariners and agree to pay half his salary.

Josh Harrison. Orioles. Everyone realizes Harrison is mediocre, no offers. Harrison sins for 1 year, $2.5 million will Orioles who hope he can be flipped to contending club midseason.

Clay Buchholz. Brewers. Finally! Oft injured up and down player who signs one year deal for $4 million.

Ervin Sanatana. Pirates. Doesn't this scream pitcher who eventually winds up with Pirates pitches well and lands that bigger contract the next season that he never lives up to since he was already past his prime? 1 year, $4 million.


Last edited by ougiqbxy on January 24, 2019, 5:34 AM, edited 1 time in total.

 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions
#33

Posted: January 23, 2019, 9:19 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9883
I may be wrong but isn't Clay a Righty.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions
#34

Posted: January 23, 2019, 9:36 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1209
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
There are still many top names out there on the market as we reach the end of January. I get the feeling these guys are going to start going pretty quick now. I thought it might be fun to guess where they are going to end up.

1. Bryce Harper - Angels: The Angels seem so generic, so they sign a guy that will provide some identity.

2. Manny Machado - Phillies: The team with "stupid money" uses a crapload of it to make a stupid signing.

3. A.J. Pollack - Dodgers: Uncertainty in the OF filled with a versatile, albeit injury-prone player.

4. Dallas Kuechel - Yankees: Cashman and the Yankees LOL at those who believed they'd spend smartly and be budget conscious this year.

5. Craig Kimbrel - Phillies: More "stupid money" on overpaying for a reliever.

6. Mike Moustakas - Padres: I could easily see the Brewers signing him too, but for some reason the Padres think they are going to compete this year, so I could see this too.

7. Marwin Gonzalez - Brewers: The longer he sits on the open market, the more I believe he's a Brewers target. He just makes so much sense on this roster both currently and in the future.

8. Gio Gonzalez - White Sox: Seems like the perfect White Sox pitcher (i.e. a vet they can sign to a cheap, short-term contract, then flip at the deadline)

9. Adam Jones - Indians: This makes so much sense, which means it probably won't happen.

10. Wade Miley - Braves: So much talk about the Braves awesome pitching prospects, yet they are continuously shopping for cheap starters. I could see him re-upping with the Brewers too, especially if Anderson is moved.

11. Jose Iglesias - Pirates: Solid defense and blah offense. Seems like a Pirate to me.

12. Josh Harrison - Dodgers: Signs a cheap deal to chase a ring.

There are obviously many other free agents out there that will sign in the coming weeks. It will be interesting to watch.


1. Bryce Harper - Phillies

2. Manny Machado - White Sox. Antics aside, he's really good, plays every day, and still young. A perfect fit here in my book.

3. A.J. Pollack - San Francisco. A match made in heaven. Aging, injury prone OF with speed. Seems like a SF staple.

4. Dallas Kuechel - Padres

5. Craig Kimbrel - Red Sox. Grandal, type 1-year agreement seems possible.

6. Mike Moustakas - Brewers

7. Marwin Gonzalez - Rangers- I have no idea why. They've got money and watched him play next door the last few years.

8. Gio Gonzalez - Oakland

9. Adam Jones - Indians: This makes so much sense, which means it probably won't happen.- Agreed.

10. Wade Miley - Brewers

11. Jose Iglesias - Twins

12. Josh Harrison - Angels


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions
#35

Posted: January 24, 2019, 1:34 AM Post
Posts: 1392
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
bill hAll Star said:
Why are several posters suggesting that signing Machado is stupid for the Phillies (or anyone)?


In my opinion, if you are going to sign a player to that kind of contract, he should be a solid ambassador for the game and for your team. Machado isn't even a solid ambassador for himself. Yeah, he's probably going to put up good numbers wherever he goes. He's a top 5 offensive player in the game. But his shenanigans in the playoffs last year were not isolated incidents. He's a douche.



I don't really care about most of the stuff Machado has done. But the things that make me dislike him(though I'd get over it if he were a Brewer) is how he just doesn't run hard. He saved the Brewers a run last year IIRC because he jogged to 1st after a GB to SS where the ball was bobbled.

I don't care about bat flips and other cocky things. I love Gomez and if you look at lists of most hated players from when he was here, he was on nearly every one. But you didn't see Gomez jogging on a grounder.

Still, give me a guy with his defensive ability and the ability to square the ball up as much as anyone in baseball....if I'm being honest, I could find a way to root for him if it got my team over the hump. But...since it's not going to happen, I can continue disliking him.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions
#36

Posted: January 24, 2019, 1:36 AM Post
Posts: 1392
brewmann04 said:
I may be wrong but isn't Clay a Righty.



Yes.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions
#37

Posted: January 24, 2019, 5:34 AM Post
Posts: 56
brewmann04 said:
I may be wrong but isn't Clay a Righty.



You're right. Fixed.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions
#38

Posted: January 24, 2019, 10:12 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2142
1. Bryce Harper - Phillies

2. Manny Machado - Padres - they are one of the mystery teams and will end up throwing the most money at him.

3. A.J. Pollack - Dodgers - Friedman et al. are just waiting for Harper to set the market.

4. Dallas Kuechel - Phillies

5. Craig Kimbrel - Red Sox

6. Mike Moustakas - White Sox - they miss out on big two and are left going after Moustakas.

7. Marwin Gonzalez - Cardinals - they have money to spend and could use a super utility player.

8. Gio Gonzalez - Oakland

9. Adam Jones - Orioles - if the Indians wanted Jones and Jones wanted to play in Cleveland they would already have made a deal, I think Jones wants to stay close to home and will re-up with the Os.

10. Wade Miley - Braves.

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions
#39

Posted: January 24, 2019, 10:55 AM Post
Posts: 218
xisxisxis said:
2. Manny Machado - Padres - they are one of the mystery teams and will end up throwing the most money at him.


What if the Brewers were the "mystery team" (assuming that's not just a ploy to get a team to bid against itself)?

We know that Stearns was very interested in him before he was traded to L.A., and the price - while still substantial - looks like it's going to be much lower than expected.

We also know that while Yelich called Machado out for dirty play, he added "it’s nothing that would be a real hostile beef or anything, at least on my part" and "if we ended up crossing paths again being on the same team I’m sure we’d be able to work that out".

As for fans booing? I'm fairly sure that wouldn't last long if he were in a Brewers uniform - fans are funny that way...

Would Machado take a smaller deal, but with an out clause?

There's a part of me which would love to see it happen, if only because it would give some people here something to gripe about which might at least have some merit, than the name on a building... [laughing]


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions
#40

Posted: January 24, 2019, 11:18 AM Post
Posts: 5140
Location: New Berlin, WI
Does anyone else feel like mlbtraderumors is seriously grasping at straws here?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/01/ ... chado.html


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 154 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test