LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next  [ 154 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Remaining top free agent predictions

Online  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions

Posted: January 24, 2019, 1:11 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
Does anyone else feel like mlbtraderumors is seriously grasping at straws here?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/01/ ... chado.html

Regarding the Brewers as a fit or creating content around a potential mystery team in general?

They spent an entire weekend talking about mystery teams on MLB Network Radio. So mlbTR is no different on that front.

As far as the Brewers... he's a clear upgrade at either ss or 3b and the Brewers appear to be contenders in 2019. So Machado obviously makes sense from that aspect. The chances of the Brewers signing Machado are slim due to probably payroll constraints.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions

Posted: January 24, 2019, 1:33 PM Post
anglotiger said:
What if the Brewers were the "mystery team" (assuming that's not just a ploy to get a team to bid against itself)?
Would Machado take a smaller deal, but with an out clause?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers are at least in contact with his agent. I just think the Brewers do have a budget constraint that the Padres, White Sox, and Phillies don't so in a bidding war we would likely lose. Even if Machado would settle for a high AAV contract for 3 years then an opt out, I still think the Brewers can't be competitive. A team (Padres) that would sink so much money in a mediocre Eric Hosmer may not know how to value Machado, but from what I've read they have money to spend. My only hesitation with naming them was that's a bad hitters park in SD and all the other prime bidders have very hitter friendly parks, which could sway Manny...

anglotiger said:
There's a part of me which would love to see it happen, if only because it would give some people here something to gripe about which might at least have some merit, than the name on a building...

Well if it doesn't happen, someone could start another thread about Ryan Braun - that would be good for 10-15 pages of posts! [wink]

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2019, 2:40 PM Post
xisxisxis said:
anglotiger said:
What if the Brewers were the "mystery team" (assuming that's not just a ploy to get a team to bid against itself)?
Would Machado take a smaller deal, but with an out clause?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers are at least in contact with his agent. I just think the Brewers do have a budget constraint that the Padres, White Sox, and Phillies don't so in a bidding war we would likely lose. Even if Machado would settle for a high AAV contract for 3 years then an opt out, I still think the Brewers can't be competitive. A team (Padres) that would sink so much money in a mediocre Eric Hosmer may not know how to value Machado, but from what I've read they have money to spend. My only hesitation with naming them was that's a bad hitters park in SD and all the other prime bidders have very hitter friendly parks, which could sway Manny...

Well, there's another reason to discount the Padres... If the money is close, would you rather play for a team that's unlikely to make the post-season, even with your help, or a team that made it last season without you...?

This is all academic of course, I don't think for one second that the Brewers will sign him and the Padres have to know that their only chance to land him is to blow away the other offers...

xisxisxis said:
anglotiger said:
There's a part of me which would love to see it happen, if only because it would give some people here something to gripe about which might at least have some merit, than the name on a building...

Well if it doesn't happen, someone could start another thread about Ryan Braun - that would be good for 10-15 pages of posts! [wink]

Or someone should go onto twitter and start a rumour about an imminent Braun for Hosmer trade? [wink]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2019, 11:42 AM Post
long ball said:
KeithStone53151 said:
Does anyone else feel like mlbtraderumors is seriously grasping at straws here?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/01/ ... chado.html

Regarding the Brewers as a fit or creating content around a potential mystery team in general?

They spent an entire weekend talking about mystery teams on MLB Network Radio. So mlbTR is no different on that front.

As far as the Brewers... he's a clear upgrade at either ss or 3b and the Brewers appear to be contenders in 2019. So Machado obviously makes sense from that aspect. The chances of the Brewers signing Machado are slim due to probably payroll constraints.

I think most of their potential mystery teams are stretches. The Cardinals, Mets, Brewers, and Twins all seem very unlikely to me...and don't make much sense. The Angels and Padres make some sense as a mystery team, but I still think they are grasping at straws with those 2 teams a bit.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2019, 12:43 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
I think most of their potential mystery teams are stretches. The Cardinals, Mets, Brewers, and Twins all seem very unlikely to me...and don't make much sense. The Angels and Padres make some sense as a mystery team, but I still think they are grasping at straws with those 2 teams a bit.

It all smells of agent-speak to me. Consider where these rumours likely originated from - probably his agent (who else would know?).

We know (or at least have heard and have good reason to believe) that they were asking for the moon. Even if they didn't really expect to get that much, they may well be disappointed that not only does the top offer so far appear to come from a (currently) non-contending team, but also that the offer is as far below what they were looking for as it is. It's kind of hard to swallow that you'd be unhappy with that much money, but that's a discussion for another day...

I could be completely wrong (it wouldn't be the first time) but it just feels like they're hoping to get the White Sox to bid against themselves, or convince a contending team that maybe a division rival is involved so that they feel compelled to jump in and raise the stakes...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2019, 12:58 PM Post
Other owners know that the Brewers and Twins are not going to happen. Would make more sense for an agent to float out more big market teams. I'm sure the Mets see the Brewers involved in the rumor and they laugh.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2019, 1:03 PM Post
The writer of the article didn't claim knowledge of the specific teams, they were just speculating as to the possibilities - some of which, as you point out, seem a bit silly on the surface of it...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2019, 1:03 PM Post
Andy Martino of SNY.tv reports that the Yankees' offer to Manny Machado is "low."

Martino isn't sure whether the Yankees have made Machado a formal offer, but it's just semantics, as the infielder is aware of how much the team is willing to pay. Obviously, it's not enough, but neither has any other offer Machado has received. It appears at this point that Machado would have to fall back into the Yankees' laps in order for them to land him, but Martino notes that the club is "in touch" with the free agent and "are not out by any stretch."

Source: Andy Martino on TwitterJan 25 - 12:04 PM

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2019, 1:37 PM Post
Now this makes some sense. I don't know that I buy that they haven't been involved, but Machado is actually a pretty nice fit for the Padres. I've said in multiple threads, but I think the Padres making a bit of a splash and ramping up toward contention makes a ton of sense.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/01/ ... erest.html

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2019, 3:28 PM Post
Imagine how much better their offer could be if they didn't give Hosmer that stupid contract.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2019, 4:11 PM Post
Yeah it will be a long time before I can hear about any Padre free agency offer and think, "You gave Eric Hosmer 8 years and 144 million in a weak FA market and weak 1B market. You are so incredibly stupid."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2019, 4:18 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Yeah it will be a long time before I can hear about any Padre free agency offer and think, "You gave Eric Hosmer 8 years and 144 million in a weak FA market and weak 1B market. You are so incredibly stupid."

In year 1 of his contract he put up a -0.1 fWAR. Yep, he was below replacement level... He is, however, a bounce back candidate as he's consistently had crappy/good alternating years. I might even be inclined to have him as a late round fantasy pickup for 1B as his previous WAR on good years has been ~3.6 fWAR...

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2019, 8:50 PM Post
What was the last double digit year contract that relatively was decent. Jeter? I know a few are still TBD. Votto might have a chance. If you count the extension, Brauns overall contract might stand up despite him not doing as well as many thought he would.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2019, 11:45 PM Post
Moose and Harper to Philly.
Machado to the White Sox

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 26, 2019, 3:41 AM Post
trwi7 said:
Imagine how much better their offer could be if they didn't give Hosmer that stupid contract.

It's not often I'm shocked by the stupidity of a contract in pro sports. That one is stunningly stupid. And the one thing that may bail the Pads out is their absurdly talented farm system. But just imagine if they hadn't given a 1st basemen with one big year that deal? You could offer Harper, Machado or wait a year and really go for it and offer Arenado and not pay THAT much more.

At least they front-loaded that deal....that's something...right?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 26, 2019, 3:49 AM Post
stalton said:
What was the last double digit year contract that relatively was decent. Jeter? I know a few are still TBD. Votto might have a chance. If you count the extension, Brauns overall contract might stand up despite him not doing as well as many thought he would.

Cano has been a much better deal thus far than I thought it'd be when it was originally signed. This is a pretty strong argument against the collusion the players association believes is happening as teams have decided the first half production isn't worth the 2nd half albatross these contracts often bring.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2019, 9:37 AM Post
I have a theory that Bryce may make a decision on his team today and I'll explain why. I'm a big fan of mlbtheshow for PS4, their cover athlete this year is Bryce. I thought that was a weird pick personally, the year before was Judge and the year before that was Griffey. Nothing about Bryce really stood out this year aside from his FA. I got the impression from their cover athlete announcement that Bryce would announce his new team through mlbtheshow cover art. If that were the case, it would make a lot more sense for mlbtheshow to pick Bryce as it would be excellent marketing for them. Well, mlbtheshow tweeted this yesterday. It's completely possible and maybe even likely that whatever news they refer to is more about the game and unrelated to Bryce and his new team. I'll be keeping an eye on it though, would certainly be fun if he finally announced a decision today.

https://twitter.com/MLBTheShow/status/1 ... 0057438210

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2019, 9:50 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
I have a theory that Bryce may make a decision on his team today and I'll explain why. I'm a big fan of mlbtheshow for PS4, their cover athlete this year is Bryce. I thought that was a weird pick personally, the year before was Judge and the year before that was Griffey. Nothing about Bryce really stood out this year aside from his FA. I got the impression from their cover athlete announcement that Bryce would announce his new team through mlbtheshow cover art. If that were the case, it would make a lot more sense for mlbtheshow to pick Bryce as it would be excellent marketing for them. Well, mlbtheshow tweeted this yesterday. It's completely possible and maybe even likely that whatever news they refer to is more about the game and unrelated to Bryce and his new team. I'll be keeping an eye on it though, would certainly be fun if he finally announced a decision today.

https://twitter.com/MLBTheShow/status/1 ... 0057438210

To help out your theory there is a lot of talk on Philly twitter about how Vegas increased the Phillies odds of winning the world series to fourth best last night.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2019, 10:11 AM Post
amt2138 said:
To help out your theory there is a lot of talk on Philly twitter about how Vegas increased the Phillies odds of winning the world series to fourth best last night.

If only there was a way to "short" a team like you can a stock. I guess there is if the win total shoots high enough. I'll be all over the Phillies under in Vegas if they sign Harper and get anywhere near the 4th highest win total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2019, 11:23 AM Post
Brewers should just offer Machado 3 years/$100MM or something. We have Braun's salary coming off the books soon, the owners can certainly afford it and he would be absolutely perfect on this team. Let's go!

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next  [ 154 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply