LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 154 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Remaining top free agent predictions

Online  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions

Posted: February 05, 2019, 10:37 AM Post
Haudricourt may not know a heck of a lot more than we do regarding the market, but he is speculating that the Brewers aren't done making moves.

https://twitter.com/Haudricourt/status/ ... 6890930176

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 05, 2019, 10:52 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Of the top 12 originally listed about two weeks ago, only Pollack and Miley have signed. A bit part of me still thinks Stearns is lying in the weeds for Marwin Gonzalez. Obviously the Brewers are being loosely connected to Keuchel. Moose, Gio, Jones, Iglesias and Harrison make at least a little sense as Brewer targets. I don't think there is any way they pursue Machado or Harper.

Kimbrel probably makes the least amount of sense on that list. Now watch Stearns do something crazy and sign him.

Marwin Gonzalez is a great fit for us and could probably be had for a reasonable price. I don’t see him getting much more than $8 million per season for 3-4 years. Signing Gonzalez would also open the door on a possible Perez trade.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Remaining top free agent predictions

Posted: February 05, 2019, 11:26 AM Post
Not that I disagree at all with what you've said above but would Hernan have any trade value to many other teams in the league?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 05, 2019, 11:38 AM Post
PDCBalla said:
Not that I disagree at all with what you've said above but would Hernan have any trade value to many other teams in the league?

He only costs $2.5 million and can be the backup at every position. He doesn’t walk a lot, but he is a solid player that has a little speed. I like Perez more than a lot of other people. His defensive versatility is attractive to a lot of teams. I would think we could fetch a couple intriguing prospects in A ball for Perez.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 05, 2019, 1:03 PM Post
Hernan Perez at $2.5M vs. Marwin Gonzalez at $8M.... I value Perez's versatility but, especially offensively, he is what he is -- in other words, there are definitely other fish in the sea. Is the upgrade really worth the cost difference?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 05, 2019, 1:07 PM Post
MNBrew said:
Hernan Perez at $2.5M vs. Marwin Gonzalez at $8M.... I value Perez's versatility but, especially offensively, he is what he is -- in other words, there are definitely other fish in the sea. Is the upgrade really worth the cost difference?

I don't think it's a "one or the other" proposition. There would definitely be room for two versatile defenders on this roster. As a switch hitter, Gonzales would be more consistent offensively. If Gonzalez is signed, it means Spangenberg likely goes to AAA as insurance.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 05, 2019, 4:26 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
MNBrew said:

I don't think it's a "one or the other" proposition. There would definitely be room for two versatile defenders on this roster. As a switch hitter, Gonzales would be more consistent offensively. If Gonzalez is signed, it means Spangenberg likely goes to AAA as insurance.

Someone asked about Perez's trade value, if any, if we signed Gonzalez, suggesting a potential cost savings, an either-or scenario, or both. My question was posed in that context.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 05, 2019, 4:54 PM Post
Is anybody hearing we’re in on Harper if he would accept a 1 year deal?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 05, 2019, 6:07 PM Post
KCBrewerfan34 said:

Where is that coming from?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 05, 2019, 8:58 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
KCBrewerfan34 said:

Where is that coming from?

HighHeat

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 05, 2019, 9:28 PM Post
Oh you didn't go there

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 05, 2019, 10:57 PM Post
Prefacing this with my opinion that there's no way either Harper or Machado take a 1 year deal - and even if they did I'd highly doubt they'd go to the Brewers...

However, between the two I think adding Machado to this roster would be the best move in a "go for it" type approach. As much as I detest Machado's antics from last postseason, the Brewers were in on acquiring him via trade, so there's obvious interest. Also, signing him to a 1 year FA deal could make their lineup options awesome. He could play 3B against lefty pitching, and would be a SS or 2B in name only against righties, with Arcia serving as the primary defender in all the shifting alignments. That also provides tons of cover for Hiura to get acclimated in AAA through 2019, and be called up only if he's lighting the world on fire.

Versus lefties:

Aguilar 1B
Perez 2B
Arcia SS]
Machado 3B
Braun LF
Cain CF
Yelich RF
Grandal/Pina C

Against Righties:
Thames 1B
Machado/Spangenberg 2B
Arcia SS/Machado
Shaw 3B
Gamel/Braun LF
Cain CF
Yelich RF
Grandal C

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2019, 9:31 AM Post
This week has been, without a doubt, the slowest of the offseason. With less than a week to go before Spring Training starts, there is going to be a lot of free agents, including several stars, still looking for work. So many of them are Boras clients, it's difficult not to blame him, at least a little bit.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2019, 10:55 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
This week has been, without a doubt, the slowest of the offseason. With less than a week to go before Spring Training starts, there is going to be a lot of free agents, including several stars, still looking for work. So many of them are Boras clients, it's difficult not to blame him, at least a little bit.

I really wonder if the biggest part of the FA angst in recent offseasons stems from the fact that Boras' and other premier agents' model of operations isn't sustainable, and he's essentially throwing a hissy fit about it trying to move the goal posts of the next CBA for MLB. Boras typically has the most talented FAs each offseason, and when big market teams think they have a shot at signing them they'll shy away from making middle/lower tier FA signings at those positions of perceived need until they're sure they aren't signing the marquee option(s). When the marquee options lead and insist on sticking to outlandish initial offers (10 yrs, $400M for example), it's not collusion for large market teams to not jump out of their shoes to immediately schedule meetings/negotiations. Because of that, months go by until Boras has had enough microphones in front of him to complain about it before his clients eventually get signed, all the while impacting the market for mid and lower tier FAs.

There's always been a huge disparity in payroll between huge and small market teams in MLB - in fact that chasm has actually narrowed substantially in recent years relative to the league during the FA era. Some of it is the luxury tax - not that the hugest markets can't afford to routinely pay it, their baseball people just know there's plenty of ways to field a really good team while occasionally dropping payroll for a year or two so that penalty isn't just burning up too much of their revenues for nothing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2019, 2:23 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
With the NBA trade deadline today I must admit, the lack of player movement is absolutely killing me man. I am dying for a resolution for these players. Lets get a move on.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2019, 7:23 PM Post
I have to think things will break very soon with the start of Spring Training . You have to think Manny and Bryce will be signing very soon with their new clubs.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2019, 7:57 AM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
I keep hearing that there are 100 unsigned free agents. Outside of maybe the top 8-10, I assume that they will all have to settle for minor league deals and big league camp invites? Is there a list somewhere of all of the remaining FAs?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2019, 8:15 AM Post
https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/available/

You have to scroll down to get to the guys who are still available, but this is the best list I've found.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2019, 9:35 AM Post
Looking through that list, yeah maybe 8-10 should have major league contracts. The rest are prove-it minor league deal types at best...or simply AAA or out of baseball at worst. In what universe should every free agent get a contract?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 15, 2019, 10:05 AM Post
I'd say of the free agents remaining, these guys should have ML deals

James Shields (borderline)
Bryce Harper
Manny Machado
Adam Jones
Ervin Santana
Dallas Keuchel
Craig Kimbrel
Matt Wieters
Denard Span
Gio Gonzalez
Carlos Gonzalez
Ryan Madson
Josh Harrison
Evan Gattis
Mike Moustakas
Jose Iglesias
Tony Sipp
Carlos Gomez (borderline)
Martin Maldonado
Marwin Gonzalez
Adam Warren
Cameron Maybin (borderline)
Derek Dietrich
Clay Buchholz
Edwin Jackson

Still quite a bit of value out there. No doubt that some of these guys are going to end up signing minor league deals and provide solid value.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 154 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply