LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 31 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Free agent starting pitcher rebound candidates

Offline  Re: Free agent starting pitcher rebound candidates

Posted: February 02, 2019, 3:13 PM Post
A Swing and A Drive said:
I think it’s more short sighted if it’s the Brewers plan to try to catch “lighting in the bottle” two years in a row, personally.

You need to operate that way to be a successful GM, especially when you work for a small market. The Brewers should be signing several of these types every season. The chances of it working are slim, but if it does, that can be the difference between making the playoffs or not. Having success with Miley should be more reason to do this, not less. It’s hard proof that their research and analytics work.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 02, 2019, 3:29 PM Post
I think it’s more short sighted if it’s the Brewers plan to try to catch “lighting in the bottle” two years in a row, personally.

It is also short sighted to trade your top prospects for middling players like Sonny Gray which you championed for.........

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 02, 2019, 3:43 PM Post
Why not just re-sign the actual Wade Miley then?

I think we are going with the younger guys at the back of the rotation at this point. And expect to get meaningful innings from Nelson this year.

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Podbean
https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 02, 2019, 3:44 PM Post
Global Moderator
I'd love to have Buchholz. He was fantastic last year and would fit in perfectly with the "relievers who can all go 3" philosophy the Brewers seem to be implementing even further

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 02, 2019, 3:50 PM Post
i would sign one or two to either a one year or minor league deal with a camp invite

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 02, 2019, 4:32 PM Post

They tried to do it twice alone last year with Miley and Gallardo. Yo clearly didnt work and we were no worse off for trying. Personally I love the idea of a forward thinking team, like the Brewers, throwing out past results for a player that wasn't being used properly and inputting their own data and development into a guy to make it work for them.

The Cubs just won out over the Brewers on the services of a 38 year old left-hander that throws 98 and hasn't played professional baseball in more than a decade. There are some really fascinating things going on with player development and only a handful of major league teams have fully embraced it. Sure a lot of these things dont turn out but I think the Brewers are in a really unique spot with depth at pitching to try and take on some projects.

Probably not the spot for this but a few of the guys I have been watching throughout the off-season for my own personal knowledge that I hope the Brewers take a shot on. Given a new direction in how to develop as a player might just be enough for some of these guys to flip the switch... or it's not and they get cut in spring training.

David Carpenter RH Relief
Adam Walker OF and Milwaukee HS Product

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 02, 2019, 10:53 PM Post
Don’t need any of them. None help us over what we have. Getting Nelson to regain form and Davies/Anderson to bounce are pretty much 3 FA rebound candidates. Only pitcher to look at is Kuechel or bring in a Kluber who makes us stronger.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 02, 2019, 11:35 PM Post
what worries me about Anderson is his high home run rate.Nelson is the big wild card for 2019 fore the crew.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 03, 2019, 10:10 AM Post
YoungGeezy1 said:
Don’t need any of them. None help us over what we have. Getting Nelson to regain form and Davies/Anderson to bounce are pretty much 3 FA rebound candidates. Only pitcher to look at is Kuechel or bring in a Kluber who makes us stronger.

No one is advocating any of these guys replacing what we have. Miley was a depth signing last year that ended up pitching like a near ace. These would be depth signings as well. Not a lot of risk.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 03, 2019, 10:13 AM Post
I never quite get why some fight these types of signings. Sheer numbers gives you better odds of finding good players. If MA has the resources to nab a few of these guys every off season in hopes we find our next Miley, we should all be on board with that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 03, 2019, 1:17 PM Post
Like the old saying never have enough arms.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 31 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply