LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

[ 11 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Gio Gonzalez News

Online  Gio Gonzalez News

Posted: February 01, 2019, 8:11 AM Post
Jon Morosi of MLB.com reports that the Padres are showing interest in Gio Gonzalez.

The Padres have now been connected to J.T. Realmuto on the trade market and Manny Machado, Bryce Harper and Gio Gonzalez on the free agent market in recent days, as it appears general manager A.J. Preller is looking to take advantage of a stagnant market. Gonzalez is 33 and coming off a down season that saw him post a 4.21 ERA over 32 starts, but he could offer a little stability to a rotation that's lacking it. The only other club known to have interest in Gonzalez is the Mets, and Mike Puma of the New York Post says the club has "maintained dialogue" with the southpaw's camp.

Source: MLB.comFeb 1 - 8:27 AM

For the record, I have no interest in bringing him back. I don't think he is a difference maker, just a guy on a roster.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Gio Gonzalez News

Posted: February 03, 2019, 2:28 PM Post
I'm reading now that the Mets are sniffing around Gio...

deGrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler, Gonzalez and Matz

That's one heck of a rotation...

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Gio Gonzalez News

Posted: February 03, 2019, 5:00 PM Post
As long as the news doesn't involve the Brewers signing him, I'm good.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 03, 2019, 9:43 PM Post
anglotiger said:

I don't think gio is what makes that rotation good. I think I could be the number 5 starter and it would still be a heck of a rotation

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 04, 2019, 11:14 AM Post
jjfanec said:
anglotiger said:

I don't think gio is what makes that rotation good. I think I could be the number 5 starter and it would still be a heck of a rotation

+1. I think it's weird that they'd want Gio unless they have no decent prospects or internal options. With that many established guys, that's a good situation to put in a young guy if you have one.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 04, 2019, 3:03 PM Post
jjfanec said:
anglotiger said:

Or course he's not what makes it good. I didn't say that at all.

I guess that one's perspective on his value as a #4 or #5 in that rotation is entirely dependent upon what one thinks of him. In this forum, there are some people who seem to repeatedly want to hammer home the idea that he completely sucks, regardless of history. My perspective is that he's actually a pretty good pitcher and if he's your #4 or #5 then that's icing on the cake...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 05, 2019, 12:53 PM Post
https://twitter.com/Haudricourt/status/ ... 7731943424

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 05, 2019, 12:57 PM Post
PDCBalla said:
https://twitter.com/Haudricourt/status/1092857907731943424

Gio certainly isn't a world beater, but he's a proven vet lefty that would come cheap. Isn't too far removed from a really good season as well. He wouldn't be my top choice, but if they are insistent of having a lefty in the rotation, they could do much worse.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 05, 2019, 1:47 PM Post
Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Brewers remain interested in free agent left-hander Gio Gonzalez.

Gonzalez finished last season strong with the Brewers after coming over from the Nationals, so it makes sense why they are keeping an eye on things. The Mets, Padres, Giants, and Athletics are among the other clubs who have been linked to the free agnt southpaw. Gonzalez is coming off a 4.21 ERA and 148/80 K/BB ratio over 171 innings in 2018.

Source: Bob Nightengale on TwitterFeb 5 - 1:08 PM

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 05, 2019, 2:21 PM Post
I have no interest in Gio other than a minor league deal. However, maybe Stearns thinks the Brewers defense will make into a better pitcher. Really small sample size but in 21 innings for the Brewers he had a BABIP of .182. With the Nats in 2018 it was over .300 and it sits around .300 for his career. Could just as well be noise too.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2019, 2:00 PM Post
trwi7 said:
As long as the news doesn't involve the Brewers signing him, I'm good.

Are you just flat out opposed to signing him at all, or are you against signing him for what you believe he'd get?

Take out the two outliers, a .9 WAR season in 2015 and a 6.4 WAR season in 2017 and he's been about a 2.2-2.9 WAR pitcher for the last 5 years, prior to which he was significantly better.

As long as we could get him for less than 5 million, which, I wouldn't be opposed to it. I'd rather try bringing 2-3 pitchers who were terrible, but could bounce back on minor league deals like we did with Miley and Yo last year.

And it would sure as heck beat giving Kuechel a 4-5 year deal.

Quote   Reply 
 [ 11 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply