LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 50 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Bryce Harper

Offline  Re: Bryce Harper

Posted: February 28, 2019, 12:30 PM Post
I don't think the Brewers get Keuchel. I also think Philly are the heavy favorites. I just can't see them getting outbid, and most guys sign with Boras looking for top dollar...not the best fit. It's all guesswork though, if I had means to do it...I would happily put money on a prop bet with the Phillies getting Harper.

Posted: February 28, 2019, 12:37 PM Post
And if the Giants sign Harper, we'll likely have to credit Smash Mouth with breaking the news.

Posted: February 28, 2019, 12:43 PM Post
For my money, Harper will be a Dodger and it will be for 8 years at $304 million. Highest annual AAV ever ($38m) and tops Macahdo's $300 million guarantee. Won't get Stanton's $325 million but who cares.

Posted: February 28, 2019, 12:45 PM Post
Harper to the Giants or White Sox please. Then the loser of that can sign Dallas.

Posted: February 28, 2019, 12:45 PM Post
Point Beer Is Best said:
And if the Giants sign Harper, we'll likely have to credit Smash Mouth with breaking the news.

Hey now, you're a news-breaking all star?

Last edited by Joey Meyer Bombs on February 28, 2019, 12:51 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: February 28, 2019, 12:50 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
I don't think the Brewers get Keuchel. I also think Philly are the heavy favorites. I just can't see them getting outbid, and most guys sign with Boras looking for top dollar...not the best fit. It's all guesswork though, if I had means to do it...I would happily put money on a prop bet with the Phillies getting Harper.

I am really buying into the narrative that he doesn't want to be on the east coast and the Phillies will have to substantially outbid the Dodgers or Giants to get him to go there. In fact, I think the Dodgers are his preferred choice but are just a little bit below what the Giants are in terms of years and dollars and that is the only thing that is preventing Harper signing at this point. My previous post says Harper eventually will be in Dodger blue for 8 years $304 million, but I am guessing the current offers are roughly:

-Giants is 10 years $325 million
-Dodgers is 8 years $275 million

The Dodgers will eventually meet Harper roughly half way and beat Machado's deal.

Posted: February 28, 2019, 1:31 PM Post
Warning Track Power said:
KeithStone53151 said:

I am really buying into the narrative that he doesn't want to be on the east coast and the Phillies will have to substantially outbid the Dodgers or Giants to get him to go there. In fact, I think the Dodgers are his preferred choice but are just a little bit below what the Giants are in terms of years and dollars and that is the only thing that is preventing Harper signing at this point. My previous post says Harper eventually will be in Dodger blue for 8 years $304 million, but I am guessing the current offers are roughly:

-Giants is 10 years $325 million
-Dodgers is 8 years $275 million

The Dodgers will eventually meet Harper roughly half way and beat Machado's deal.

I get that impression as well, I just wonder how much they'd have to outbid. Would he take $320 million instead of $350 million over the same number of years? Also California has the highest income tax in the country by a significant margin while Pennsylvania is one of the lowest that isn't zero.

As much as the Brewers are benefiting from this to some degree right now, I find it wildly hypocritical that athletes so often choose to take less money for other reasons...and then complain they aren't getting paid enough. 2 years ago, is there any chance the Brewers get Moose or Grandal to take less money to play here? Absolutely zero chance, though they'd probably take less money than we were offering to play on a coast or play on a more competitive team.

Posted: February 28, 2019, 1:44 PM Post
PDCBalla said:
I'm pretty sure Bryce wants to be in Chicago with the Cubs and the Cubs are not biting. Pretty sure Bryce had heard all the rumblings like we all did about how they wanted him there for so long and now that they haven't pursued he isn't sure where he wants to go.

I am pretty sure Harper doesn't live under a rock and has been aware the Cubs don't want him for months now. He is simply waiting for the first desperate team to go above and beyond the others. The teams bidding $300mil are desperate and want to make that big splash. If it doesn't happen (Phillies very much so) their entire off season plan is a failure and they are kinda left in an awkward spot. I think the Dodgers get him, but it would not shock me for the Phillies to just blow everyone away to make it happen. You can bet the Phillies and Dodgers are really nervous right now seeing what Harper will do as it exponentially changes their entire season outlook one way or the other. Heck it changes their franchise forever.

Posted: February 28, 2019, 1:54 PM Post
Welp, Phillies it is: https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1 ... 7184694273

Posted: February 28, 2019, 2:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
So much for my bold prediction of the Giants.

I'll lock this post. Go over to ML forum for discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=38159

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 50 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply