LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next  [ 733 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Kimbrel?

Offline  Kimbrel?

Posted: March 10, 2019, 7:00 AM Post
With rumors going around about rule changes regarding relievers pitching to at least 3 batters and the Brewers being so close to the top, does anyone see Mark A saying "Screw it. Budget be damned. Get Kimbrell" and go for it this year? Of course, if he's still holding out for 4-5 years at ridiculous money, no thanks. But a short 1-2 year deal would be awesome. Then flip him at next years deadline if they're out of it. With Jeffress out for the time being, a replacement would be nice and once he comes back, that bullpen would be absolutely ridiculous.

I would like to see them make a pitching move. Too many question marks right now for me. Jeffress, Nelson, no lefty starter etc. Can the young guys hold up? The formula worked last year and putting one more flamethrower in the bullpen would make me feel better.

Just a thought.

Offline  Re: Kimbrell?

Posted: March 10, 2019, 7:34 AM Post
alwz4gbp said:
With rumors going around about rule changes regarding relievers pitching to at least 3 batters and the Brewers being so close to the top, does anyone see Mark A saying "Screw it. Budget be damned. Get Kimbrell" and go for it this year? Of course, if he's still holding out for 4-5 years at ridiculous money, no thanks. But a short 1-2 year deal would be awesome. Then flip him at next years deadline if they're out of it. With Jeffress out for the time being, a replacement would be nice and once he comes back, that bullpen would be absolutely ridiculous.

I would like to see them make a pitching move. Too many question marks right now for me. Jeffress, Nelson, no lefty starter etc. Can the young guys hold up? The formula worked last year and putting one more flamethrower in the bullpen would make me feel better.

Just a thought.

And it’s a great thought,good sir. Just talked about this in the pitching thread . One or two or three years contract doesn’t matter sign him. Value will be good and he would help us win A World Series. Just think of the Chapman trade in 16.

Posted: March 10, 2019, 8:48 AM Post
If only they could be reasonably assured that he would still produce like the Kimbrel of 2012-2016.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Posted: March 10, 2019, 8:51 AM Post
He was still really good last year but there were definite cracks showing and considering how bad the pitchers who signed during ST were last year I would hesitate to sign him. Especially to anything more than a one year deal. He could be really good or he could be Eric Gagne 2.0. Not sure if I want to pay to find out.

Posted: March 10, 2019, 9:19 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
He was still really good last year but there were definite cracks showing and considering how bad the pitchers who signed during ST were last year I would hesitate to sign him. Especially to anything more than a one year deal. He could be really good or he could be Eric Gagne 2.0. Not sure if I want to pay to find out.

Your right he was really good last year. Gagné had steroid inflated stats. Kimbrel unarguably one the best closers in the history of baseball. Even a 3 year contract investment would be a good value in imho. And you don’t have to trade the farm to substantially improve your team. And the more I look at our early season schedule the stronger I want our team to be before the trade deadline.

Last edited by Brew crew 92 on March 13, 2019, 7:27 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: March 10, 2019, 9:26 AM Post
Always have to be careful doling money out to relievers, as they are so inconsistent. That said, Kimbrel has been one of the more consistent ones his whole career. If the money is right, it's hard not to get excited about the idea of stacking top-end pitching talent. It would definitely mitigate the fact that they went another offseason without making a big upgrade to the rotation.

Posted: March 10, 2019, 9:29 AM Post
Gagne?!!! OOF. I blocked him out of my mind. I just think with the style of ball that CC plays and with potential rule changes coming (pitcher use, shifting etc), everything possible needs to be done to use CC's current style. I'm sure he can adapt to the changes, but he knows what he's doing so turn him loose with an endless supply of relievers.

I'm somewhat iffy on the Moose signing. I like him but that seems to be an awful lot for what, on paper, is an average to slightly above average player who is trying to learn a new position. In CC's shifting style of ball, he may be able to be compensated for but lets hope that Keston is as good as advertised and is ready to take over next season at the latest. I personally would have liked that money spent elsewhere.

Posted: March 10, 2019, 9:49 AM Post
alwz4gbp said:
Gagne?!!! OOF. I blocked him out of my mind. I just think with the style of ball that CC plays and with potential rule changes coming (pitcher use, shifting etc), everything possible needs to be done to use CC's current style. I'm sure he can adapt to the changes, but he knows what he's doing so turn him loose with an endless supply of relievers.

I'm somewhat iffy on the Moose signing. I like him but that seems to be an awful lot for what, on paper, is an average to slightly above average player who is trying to learn a new position. In CC's shifting style of ball, he may be able to be compensated for but lets hope that Keston is as good as advertised and is ready to take over next season at the latest. I personally would have liked that money spent elsewhere.

I think they were always going to sign someone to play 2B this season, whether it was Moose or someone like Marwin Gonzalez. I'm sure they discussed the plan with Moose last season and during the offseason. In fact, Counsell was quoted saying that he talked to Moose several times this offseason, weeks before he signed his deal. I get the feeling the Brewers had their deal with Moose in place all the way back in November/December, but told him to test the market to see if a long-term deal was there. It didn't materialize, so he came back. This is an opportunity for Moose to hit at a great hitter's park that is very friendly to left-handed power hitters, along with play a new position. If he, say, hits .260 with 30-35 HRs and 100 RBIs, he'll be hitting the free agent market again next year as a 30-year-old capable of putting up better numbers than any of the 7-8 or so 2B types that hit the market this year. That'll get him paid.

Posted: March 13, 2019, 8:18 AM Post
Just heard John Heyman say he thought Kimbrel was in trouble, meaning having to take a short deal. Sounds like the perfect time to swoop in and sign this guy to a one or two year contract. I mean it’s the perfect storm, with possible Jeffress injury or ineffectiveness and able to get arguably the best closer in baseball on this team. Let’s get it done!

Last edited by Brew crew 92 on March 13, 2019, 7:29 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: March 13, 2019, 10:55 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Just heard John Heyman say he thought Kimbrell was in trouble, meaning having to take a short deal. Sounds like the perfect time to swoop in and sign this guy to a one or two year contract. I mean it’s the perfect storm, with possible Jeffress injury or ineffectiveness and able to get arguably the best closer in baseball on this team. Let’s get it done!

Everything Jon Heyman reports is done with the goal of helping Boras get money for his clients. Kimbrel getting a big deal would be money that could go to one of his clients, hence Boras is having his media mouthpiece leak this info.

Posted: March 13, 2019, 11:07 AM Post
I would absolutely love to sign Kimbrell if he'd take a two year deal.

Posted: March 13, 2019, 11:48 AM Post
MillerParkSouth said:
I would absolutely love to sign Kimbrell if he'd take a two year deal.

I would even do a three-year deal.

Posted: March 13, 2019, 12:04 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
Brew crew 92 said:
Just heard John Heyman say he thought Kimbrell was in trouble, meaning having to take a short deal. Sounds like the perfect time to swoop in and sign this guy to a one or two year contract. I mean it’s the perfect storm, with possible Jeffress injury or ineffectiveness and able to get arguably the best closer in baseball on this team. Let’s get it done!

Everything Jon Heyman reports is done with the goal of helping Boras get money for his clients. Kimbrel getting a big deal would be money that could go to one of his clients, hence Boras is having his media mouthpiece leak this info.

That’s just totally ridiculous. John Heyman is a very respected national baseball writer with a good reputation that he doesn’t want to tarnish with a silly boras conspiracy.

Posted: March 13, 2019, 6:38 PM Post
Imagine this pen on July 1:

KIMBREL
Knebel
Jeffress
Hader
Guerra
Woodruff
Brown
Claudio

By July Nelson established in rotation allowing woody to pen. Brown called up past super 2 cause dominating AAA like Burnes last year. Albers released. Kimbrel’s 34 saves on pace to break all time record.
I can dream can’t I.

Last edited by Brew crew 92 on March 13, 2019, 7:32 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: March 13, 2019, 7:04 PM Post
Sorry, but I have OCD when it comes to editorial stuff. Can the title of this topic be changed to reflect that this pitcher's name is Craig Kimbrel, not Kimbrell?

Posted: March 13, 2019, 7:29 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Sorry, but I have OCD when it comes to editorial stuff. Can the title of this topic be changed to reflect that this pitcher's name is Craig Kimbrel, not Kimbrell?

HA! I've been thinking that for days, and usually, the mods catch and correct this kind of stuff in the thread titles...

Glad I'm not the only one this has bothered...

[smile]

Offline  Re: Kimbrel?

Posted: March 15, 2019, 8:49 PM Post
My pessimist guess is that the Cubs get him. Their bullpen is a mess, Morrow and Strop both hurt, if anyone needs a closer, it's the Cubs.

Cubs get him...

Posted: March 16, 2019, 12:37 AM Post
turborickey said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

HA! I've been thinking that for days, and usually, the mods catch and correct this kind of stuff in the thread titles...

[smile]

+1 here too

I'm really surprised Kimbrel isn't signed. There must be a huge divide between what he thinks he is worth & what teams are willing to pay, both in terms of AAV & years.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Offline  Re: Kimbrel?

Posted: March 16, 2019, 6:01 AM Post
turborickey said:
My pessimist guess is that the Cubs get him. Their bullpen is a mess, Morrow and Strop both hurt, if anyone needs a closer, it's the Cubs.

Cubs get him...

They certainly need pen help, just don’t think it’ll be Kimbrel. There up against the luxury tax threshold and their owner and Theo already stated not going over.

Posted: March 16, 2019, 9:33 AM Post
3and2Fastball said:
turborickey said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

[smile]

+1 here too

I'm really surprised Kimbrel isn't signed. There must be a huge divide between what he thinks he is worth & what teams are willing to pay, both in terms of AAV & years.

Two weeks ago there was a report which said Kimbrel is still seeking a 5-6 year deal for 80-100 million dollars.

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next  [ 733 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply