LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next  [ 669 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Kimbrel?

Online  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 04, 2019, 10:08 AM Post
mattyo said:
MoreTrife said:
I'm sure someone has mentioned it but I'm worried about a possible consequence of the Cubs losing is they back up the Brinks truck and sign Kimbrel or Kuechel, throw caution and luxury tax to the wind. They gotta be feeling the pressure.

No need to worry about things like this completely out of the franchise's control. Just enjoy watching the Ls keep piling up.

Agree.
They need more than kimbrel to overtake the crew.

I think they’ve tuned out Maddon, and his antics to try and keep the team loose. Not sure he’s gonna make it thru the year.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 04, 2019, 12:12 PM Post
MoreTrife said:
I'm sure someone has mentioned it but I'm worried about a possible consequence of the Cubs losing is they back up the Brinks truck and sign Kimbrel or Kuechel, throw caution and luxury tax to the wind. They gotta be feeling the pressure.

They said all offseason that they had no money and their actions backed that up. At least the words, I don't think anyone believes they have no money. Maybe if they keep losing they'll sign one but until then, I don't think they'll even entertain it and if they're still losing are they really going to give a big contract out, have them spend a month getting in game shape without helping the big league roster and then hope they bring enough value to make the signing worth it?

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 04, 2019, 12:25 PM Post
trwi7 said:
MoreTrife said:

They said all offseason that they had no money and their actions backed that up. At least the words, I don't think anyone believes they have no money. Maybe if they keep losing they'll sign one but until then, I don't think they'll even entertain it and if they're still losing are they really going to give a big contract out, have them spend a month getting in game shape without helping the big league roster and then hope they bring enough value to make the signing worth it?

They do have the 2nd highest payroll according to spotrac at 210. For some reason I thought they were being a little cheap in not adding to that pen, but they're only behind the Sox and I think THEY are more than Kimbrel away from solving their current problems.

Now the Braves on the other hand, how is that team with basically a 6 state market below the league average in payroll and 10 million below us? It's not like they're rebuilding.

I'd like to see the Brewers sign Kimbrel, but if they don't, I'm hardly going to be upset with Mark A's commitment to the team and winning. Pretty sure I'd feel differently if I was a Braves fan.

By the way, just wondering based on opinions, worse contract, Jason Heyward or Yu Darvish?

Heyward, a corner OF with an OPS+ of 80 since signing a 8/184 deal(that Cubs fans on twitter insist is a player that has value and teams should be trying to trade for).

Or Yu Darvish and his beautiful 6 year 126 million dollar deal that since he's signed before last year he's thrown a total of 57 IP with an ERA+ 83.

They COULD have Ian Happ playing in Heyward's spot and...well, since Darvish hasn't been healthy anyway, whoever is pitching in his place now and they'd have been able to sign Harper.

Tell me again how much of a genius Theo is?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 04, 2019, 12:50 PM Post
MoreTrife said:

Good. That's the kind of impulsive move that got them in this situation in the first place. It's not going to get them out of it; it's just going to prolong it.

I hate to say it, but I think you have to ride the young arms pretty hard early in the season to buy time. They'll hit innings limits early, but that gives you time to make other plans for the stretch run (Nelson, Jeffress, trades, maybe some AAA guys like Brown). I'd easily take that option over backing up the money truck for Kimbrel.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 04, 2019, 1:10 PM Post
coolhandluke121 said:
MoreTrife said:

Good. That's the kind of impulsive move that got them in this situation in the first place. It's not going to get them out of it; it's just going to prolong it.

I hate to say it, but I think you have to ride the young arms pretty hard early in the season to buy time. They'll hit innings limits early, but that gives you time to make other plans for the stretch run (Nelson, Jeffress, trades, maybe some AAA guys like Brown). I'd easily take that option over backing up the money truck for Kimbrel.

Sure, but shutting them down, particularly if they're pitching well is going to be easier said than done. If they're in the same position they're in last year, it's gonna be interesting to see how they address it.

The results will probably end up doing that for you, ie, Peralta runs out of gas or whomever it may be. But if they're still going strong and the Brewers are back in the NLCS?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 04, 2019, 2:05 PM Post
He's gonna be a Cub, watch and see...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 04, 2019, 9:03 PM Post
turborickey said:
He's gonna be a Cub, watch and see...

Right now, denying Kimbrel to the Dodgers or Cubs is reason 1B to sign him, IMO.

Reason 1A is that Kimbrel/Jeffress are an improvement over Albers/Barnes.

But both reasons matter.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 04, 2019, 9:31 PM Post
I agree on both accounts and would really like to see that

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 04, 2019, 9:36 PM Post
I think he's hurt. I literally cannot come up with any other reason why he isn't on a team by now. He knows each day he misses, if healthy, is money out of his pocket. I don't see how he wouldn't have multiple lucrative offers to choose from. Every team can use another high-end reliever.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 04, 2019, 11:50 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
I think he's hurt. I literally cannot come up with any other reason why he isn't on a team by now. He knows each day he misses, if healthy, is money out of his pocket. I don't see how he wouldn't have multiple lucrative offers to choose from. Every team can use another high-end reliever.

I disagree. If he’s not going to get the contract he wants, then I think he is willing to pull a Roger Clemens and wait until the right offer and the right team become one. If the Brewers are in first place on May 1st and offer the opportunity to be at least a part-time closer, he should accept. If he’s not getting 5 yrs and $100m, then I do t blame him for not signing yet. He has an opportunity to watch the first start of the season, watch team performance, and evaluate opportunities. I think he signs around May 1

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 05, 2019, 5:52 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

I’ve been on this train for awhile. Buying himself time.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 05, 2019, 7:55 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

collusion

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 05, 2019, 7:56 AM Post
Joey with all the media if he was hurt can't believe a report would nit surface?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 05, 2019, 11:03 AM Post
DHonks said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

I disagree. If he’s not going to get the contract he wants, then I think he is willing to pull a Roger Clemens and wait until the right offer and the right team become one.

I think teams remember how that worked out for the Yankees, and how all the super-late pitcher signings bombed last year. I think he's playing his cards wrong, but would also buy the theory that he's hurt.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 05, 2019, 12:42 PM Post
If the Brewers were ever going to do it, they would have by now. Especially since the Brewers draft pick they would have to give up (4th round, Grandal 3rd round) would not be as high as the competition.

I assume it will take a few weeks of someone's pen falling apart or the June draft to change negotiations at this point.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 05, 2019, 12:59 PM Post
Roderick said:
If the Brewers were ever going to do it, they would have by now. Especially since the Brewers draft pick they would have to give up (4th round, Grandal 3rd round) would not be as high as the competition.

Not trying to call you out, I've heard this before from other posters too, but I'm just curious what's different about the Brewers that makes this true for them and not other teams?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 05, 2019, 4:19 PM Post
MrAllen said:
Roderick said:

Not trying to call you out, I've heard this before from other posters too, but I'm just curious what's different about the Brewers that makes this true for them and not other teams?

I know you didn't ask me but I think there is a viable explanation. Supposedly a lot of agents have anonymously said that Stearns is a great guy but that he's among the most strict in all of baseball in terms of having a price that he's willing to meet and sticking to it. So if Kimbrel is waiting for teams to improve their offer, that means the Brewers are probably out.

We can debate the merits of that approach all we want ("they need him more now, so they should increase their offer") but there are long-term negotiating benefits that go with earning that reputation.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 05, 2019, 5:06 PM Post
coolhandluke121 said:
MrAllen said:
Roderick said:

I know you didn't ask me but I think there is a viable explanation. Supposedly a lot of agents have anonymously said that Stearns is a great guy but that he's among the most strict in all of baseball in terms of having a price that he's willing to meet and sticking to it. So if Kimbrel is waiting for teams to improve their offer, that means the Brewers are probably out.

We can debate the merits of that approach all we want ("they need him more now, so they should increase their offer") but there are long-term negotiating benefits that go with earning that reputation.

That makes sense, I can buy that. I like the "stubborn-ness" that Stearns has shown in sticking to his valuation of players and think it definitely benefits a team like Milwaukee in their market in the long run.

Losing Knebel, plus Hader getting worked a lot in 1-run games could test that patience, but I agree, I don't think we see a panic move on Stearns' side of the negotiations. Conversely, what offers Kimbrel's seen from each team, how anything the Brewers' have put out there compares, and how much more patience *he* has at this point, I have no idea.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 05, 2019, 5:22 PM Post
coolhandluke121 said:
MrAllen said:
Roderick said:

Agree.
Stearns discipline with regards to price/value/affordability eliminates kimbrel from signing with the crew imho. Unless mark A steps in, which I don’t think he will.

And one last thing, IF kimbrel’s Healthy, just the fact that he won’t sign a pillow deal, tells me everything I need to know about his LACK of burning desire to pitch, and or lack of confidence in his ability to have a great year to get that contract that he feels he deserves.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 05, 2019, 9:55 PM Post
coolhandluke121 said:
DHonks said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

I disagree. If he’s not going to get the contract he wants, then I think he is willing to pull a Roger Clemens and wait until the right offer and the right team become one.

I think teams remember how that worked out for the Yankees, and how all the super-late pitcher signings bombed last year. I think he's playing his cards wrong, but would also buy the theory that he's hurt.

The multiple times Clemens did it, it worked out well for Roger, The Astros, and the Yankees

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next  [ 669 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply