LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 37  Next  [ 733 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Kimbrel?

Author Message
Offline  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 08, 2019, 8:47 AM Post
Posts: 1013
Bubba Derby and Nate Griep also come to mind. Griep is repeating AA so let’s see how he comes along. It’s too bad that southpaw Quintin Torres-Costa — and his sweeping slider — had to have TJ surgery.

Regarding Griep, here’s an assessment by the big kahuna last (2018) spring.

Craig Counsell on March 26, 2018, said:
The thing that really impresses us is he has presence on the mound,” manager Craig Counsell said. “He’s got good stuff. That’s why they put him at the back end of the bullpen. But he has different deliveries, a pretty good array of pitches. He tries to disrupt hitters’ timing on his own already. So, there’s some savvy there for a guy who’s not that experienced in professional baseball.

His fastball has been up to 95 (mph) in our games. He has a hard knuckleball that acts like a slider. It’s an interesting pitch. It’s effective because hitters don’t see it very much. He also has some deception; he changes his delivery from time to time. He’s good at disrupting hitters’ timing. When somebody from (Class) A ball comes and shows you that, you take notice.”


https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/m ... 453653002/


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 13, 2019, 12:58 AM Post
Posts: 7854
HiAndTight said:
DHonks said:
I'm sure our front office has lots of options for now. Last year they showed they were willing to take minor league prospects with good stuff and letting them get extra seasoning in the big league pen rather than AA/AAA.

Peralta, Burnes, and Woodruff deserve to get a minimum of 6 turns in the rotation. I think Hauser could be a candidate to help Chase Anderson serve as long relievers when the kids struggle to go past 4 innings. As the Brewers evaluate Jimmy Nelson's status, I could see them deciding the best way to limit his innings is to pitch 2-3 innings every 4th day. Our pen is a bit of a weak spot now, but that may change soon.



I'm confident it'll end up being solid, but I personally am really hoping they don't try to do that with Nelson.

If he's not healthy enough to pitch, we've got bigger problems. But at this point, after all the rehab, his shoulder is going to have to get back into shape, he's going to have scar tissue, but using him in the pen for 2-3 innings?

Once Nelson is ready to go, I think he slots back into the pen. think there's a very very small chance he becomes a long man in the pen.


I was thinking maybe Nelson fills a Burnes/Hader role of 2-3 IP. I’m not sure if he’ll be used back-to-back days, so it would allow him to fill a valuable role. We shall see though


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 13, 2019, 5:59 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9670
According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, free agent right-hander Craig Kimbrel is still seeking a contract that he believes to be fair and in the range of the recent deals signed by Wade Davis and Zack Britton.

Davis and Britton each inked three-year contracts, for $52 million and $39 million respectively. At some point, you would think that Kimbrel would lower his asking price or be willing to sign a one-year deal in order to get on the field, but it doesn't sound like there's much urgency coming from his camp at the moment.

Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter
Apr 13, 2019, 6:10 PM


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 13, 2019, 9:11 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9596
Wow Kinmbrel willing to wait it out surprised that he still holding out.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 13, 2019, 11:59 PM Post
Posts: 1020
brewmann04 said:
Wow Kinmbrel willing to wait it out surprised that he still holding out.



Well he's certainly more deserving than either. And the fact that he hasn't been signed and is still holding out should only make it surprising he's asking for "just" a Wade Davis/Britton type deal.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 14, 2019, 8:08 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5230
Unreasonable demands early on (Wasn't he looking for 100 million?) have cost Kimbrel lots of money. He's overplayed his hand so far at this point, I think he'll be lucky to get eight figures for the rest of this season.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 14, 2019, 10:17 AM Post
Posts: 1571
Location: Madison, WI
According to ESPN the Brewers only have blown one save so far. That happened on April 1st, in the sixth inning, when Claudio gave up one run to turn a 3-2 Brewer lead into a tie game. The Brewers went on to win that game 4-3. Of the Brewers 10 wins, all have been by three runs or less. Hader picked up all those saves in early games but the last two wins have been finished out by Wilson and Guerra.

The Brewers don't need to the throwing 10+ million (1 year) at a rigid, one-inning pitcher, much less the 3 year, 45 million dollar deal that Kimbrel is likely looking for now (numbers are just speculation on my part).

Give me Keuchel instead any day of the week. Giving him 1 year, 20 million would be a far better investment than going 3 years, 45 million on Kimbrel. Although, truth be told, with a 10-5 record I'd rather sit on all remaining money and see what things are looking like in June. Just one injury could completely shift the primary need areas of the team.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 14, 2019, 11:45 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9596
Adding a starter like Dallas will help the Bullpen


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 15, 2019, 11:52 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 157
Location: Chicago
I'm sure Kimbrel saw what happened to Greg Holland last year (signed a one year deal late with a contender, called up before being ready to pitch, struggled, removed as closer, subsequently released ended up signing a one year bargain basement deal for 2019) and is determined to avoid it.

He'll continue to hold out for a multi-year deal at a lesser price than he earlier sought. If it gets to a point where he has to take a one year deal in order to pitch in the major leagues in 2019, all 32 teams would be in on him (because non-contenders would simply flip him at the deadline for a prospect) and he will be able to control when he is ready to pitch and in what role.

Frankly, a three year deal with the Brewers shouldn't be out of the question. It probably would be hard to squeeze in another 13-15 million in payroll for 2019, but in 2020 Braun's decrease in pay almost equals Yelich's increase. They will clear $16 million in payroll when Chase Anderson and Eric Thames' club options for 2020 are declined. There's virtually no chance that the mutual options on Moustakas or Grandal are exercised and Chacin will also likely be gone, so there is plenty of payroll space in 2021 and beyond for a multi-year deal for Kimbrel, especially if the team intends to be in the hunt in the next few upcoming seasons.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 15, 2019, 6:38 PM Post
Posts: 3421
JosephC said:
According to ESPN the Brewers only have blown one save so far. That happened on April 1st, in the sixth inning, when Claudio gave up one run to turn a 3-2 Brewer lead into a tie game. The Brewers went on to win that game 4-3. Of the Brewers 10 wins, all have been by three runs or less. Hader picked up all those saves in early games but the last two wins have been finished out by Wilson and Guerra.

The Brewers don't need to the throwing 10+ million (1 year) at a rigid, one-inning pitcher, much less the 3 year, 45 million dollar deal that Kimbrel is likely looking for now (numbers are just speculation on my part).

Give me Keuchel instead any day of the week. Giving him 1 year, 20 million would be a far better investment than going 3 years, 45 million on Kimbrel. Although, truth be told, with a 10-5 record I'd rather sit on all remaining money and see what things are looking like in June. Just one injury could completely shift the primary need areas of the team.



Since when have saves EVER been a good metric by which to evaluate a reliever, much less an entire pen?

How about the games where we were down a run and the pen came in and the other team blew it open? I'm also not sure what you mean by "rigid" pitcher, but not sure it's important.


Hate to break it to ya, but this has already happened. To the bullpen. That injury was Knebel.


But lets look at the rest of the team. Grandal, that'd be a big blow. Won 96 games last year with Pina.
1st base? I like Aggie, I think if he can just stay calm and not jump at pitches, he's gonna be more than fine, but we have lots of options if we need to replace him.
2nd? Guess we'd have to get by on Dubon, Hiura, Perez(probably in reverse order there) as well as several other guys in the minors, a few of whom would likely get the call before our top prospect.

SS-Well, Arca struggled all year last year, again, 96 wins. If he gets hurt, that'd sting, but light hitting, defensive SS's aren't hard to come by.

3rd base? We have Travis Shaw and then an older Travis Shaw already at 3rd.

OF? Yelich-That's a season changer and you're not going to be able to trade for or acquire someone to make up for him anyway. Same with Cain. We expect Braun to go down, so you have Gamel and then Tyrone Taylor, Corey Ray and about 30 corner OF'ers who come available at the deadline.

Point is, we're deep everywhere else. If we COULD get Kimbrel for 10 million, I think we'd be foolish not to. I highly doubt however Kimbrel would accept that.


He seems to be hanging on to the quickly outdated FA system.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 15, 2019, 6:41 PM Post
Posts: 3421
Jopal78! said:
I'm sure Kimbrel saw what happened to Greg Holland last year (signed a one year deal late with a contender, called up before being ready to pitch, struggled, removed as closer, subsequently released ended up signing a one year bargain basement deal for 2019) and is determined to avoid it.

He'll continue to hold out for a multi-year deal at a lesser price than he earlier sought. If it gets to a point where he has to take a one year deal in order to pitch in the major leagues in 2019, all 32 teams would be in on him (because non-contenders would simply flip him at the deadline for a prospect) and he will be able to control when he is ready to pitch and in what role.

Frankly, a three year deal with the Brewers shouldn't be out of the question. It probably would be hard to squeeze in another 13-15 million in payroll for 2019, but in 2020 Braun's decrease in pay almost equals Yelich's increase. They will clear $16 million in payroll when Chase Anderson and Eric Thames' club options for 2020 are declined. There's virtually no chance that the mutual options on Moustakas or Grandal are exercised and Chacin will also likely be gone, so there is plenty of payroll space in 2021 and beyond for a multi-year deal for Kimbrel, especially if the team intends to be in the hunt in the next few upcoming seasons.



Well, he could avoid that by just not coming out and pitching right away. Hopefully the Brewers would demand he throw a few innings in AAA before he pitched for us.

But the three-year deal is a non-starter for me. The Brewers can build an incredible bullpen moving forward without wasting money on Craig Kimbrel for THREE years. I'm alright with it for one because of all the bad luck, but next year by the ASB we should have Wahl, Knebel, Jeffress, Hader, and who knows what young arms will be up and ready.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 15, 2019, 6:55 PM Post
Posts: 1639
HiAndTight said:
Jopal78! said:
I'm sure Kimbrel saw what happened to Greg Holland last year (signed a one year deal late with a contender, called up before being ready to pitch, struggled, removed as closer, subsequently released ended up signing a one year bargain basement deal for 2019) and is determined to avoid it.

He'll continue to hold out for a multi-year deal at a lesser price than he earlier sought. If it gets to a point where he has to take a one year deal in order to pitch in the major leagues in 2019, all 32 teams would be in on him (because non-contenders would simply flip him at the deadline for a prospect) and he will be able to control when he is ready to pitch and in what role.

Frankly, a three year deal with the Brewers shouldn't be out of the question. It probably would be hard to squeeze in another 13-15 million in payroll for 2019, but in 2020 Braun's decrease in pay almost equals Yelich's increase. They will clear $16 million in payroll when Chase Anderson and Eric Thames' club options for 2020 are declined. There's virtually no chance that the mutual options on Moustakas or Grandal are exercised and Chacin will also likely be gone, so there is plenty of payroll space in 2021 and beyond for a multi-year deal for Kimbrel, especially if the team intends to be in the hunt in the next few upcoming seasons.



Well, he could avoid that by just not coming out and pitching right away. Hopefully the Brewers would demand he throw a few innings in AAA before he pitched for us.

But the three-year deal is a non-starter for me. The Brewers can build an incredible bullpen moving forward without wasting money on Craig Kimbrel for THREE years. I'm alright with it for one because of all the bad luck, but next year by the ASB we should have Wahl, Knebel, Jeffress, Hader, and who knows what young arms will be up and ready.


Agree, one year, not three. Probably not gonna happen so I’ve moved on. Wahl knebel jeffress Hader Rasmussen Guerra Claudio perdomo In my way to early mid season 2020 superpen prediction.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 15, 2019, 6:56 PM Post
Posts: 3421
brewmann04 said:
Adding a starter like Dallas will help the Bullpen



Everyone says this with the idea in mind that we take the best starting pitching prospects we've developed in a long time and move one or more of them to the pen.

And then you have to hope that a soft tosser like Kuechel who gives up a ton of hits is going to just slide into your rotation.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 16, 2019, 7:16 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9596
we respectfully disagree which is fine we don't need a flamethrower just a winner who knows how to pitch. PS I am for all the young guys getting their starts but we should not pass on him if possible


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 16, 2019, 12:11 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5272
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Surprised but Kimbrell has lowered his asking price rumored to be 3-years $45m.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 16, 2019, 12:49 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3166
Location: California
Would be a tough pill to swallow given he might only give you 2 1/2 seasons for $45 million but if he is anything close to what he has been, that pen looks infinitely better. If Jeffress turns out to be OK and Brewers can add Knebel in for the second half of 2020, that pen is scary good. A 6th through 9th of Hader, Claudio, Jeffress, Knebel and Kimbrel is pretty intimidating.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 16, 2019, 1:08 PM Post
Posts: 4339
Jopal78! said:
I'm sure Kimbrel saw what happened to Greg Holland last year (signed a one year deal late with a contender, called up before being ready to pitch, struggled, removed as closer, subsequently released ended up signing a one year bargain basement deal for 2019) and is determined to avoid it.

He'll continue to hold out for a multi-year deal at a lesser price than he earlier sought. If it gets to a point where he has to take a one year deal in order to pitch in the major leagues in 2019, all 32 teams would be in on him (because non-contenders would simply flip him at the deadline for a prospect) and he will be able to control when he is ready to pitch and in what role.

Frankly, a three year deal with the Brewers shouldn't be out of the question. It probably would be hard to squeeze in another 13-15 million in payroll for 2019, but in 2020 Braun's decrease in pay almost equals Yelich's increase. They will clear $16 million in payroll when Chase Anderson and Eric Thames' club options for 2020 are declined. There's virtually no chance that the mutual options on Moustakas or Grandal are exercised and Chacin will also likely be gone, so there is plenty of payroll space in 2021 and beyond for a multi-year deal for Kimbrel, especially if the team intends to be in the hunt in the next few upcoming seasons.


Thames has a player option, not a club option.

But yeah, a multi-year deal would make sense. Maybe 3 years, $36 million tops.


 Top
 
Online  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 16, 2019, 1:27 PM Post
User avatar

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Posts: 12189
clancyphile said:
Thames has a player option, not a club option.

Thames has a club option according to Cot's. https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/c ... e-brewers/


 Top
 
Online  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 16, 2019, 1:29 PM Post
Posts: 10724
I mean $15mil yearly and only three years.....I could see us being players at that if we are desperate. Though honestly Keuchel and then getting one of the young guys bumped to the pen is potentially way more efficient.

I think whoever signs Kimbrel will regret it...that's my hot take.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 16, 2019, 4:56 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3296
I'd easily give Kimbrel three years if the payroll space is there. This is a guy who deserves $80-100 million. We would be getting him at a bargain.

For most of 2020:

RHP Kimbrel
LHP Hader
RHP Knebel
RHP Jeffress
LHP Claudio

Yikes! [embarassed]


 Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 37  Next  [ 733 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mudville9, OldHeidelberg, Smichaelis9 and 5 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test