LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next  [ 733 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Kimbrel?

Offline  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 18, 2019, 7:10 AM Post
Pretty much spot on. The Braves are a notoriously cheap team despite having a huge market as they probably have the largest regional fan base of any team in baseball.

I didn't even think there was a question that the Braves were a cheap organization. Do you debate this?[/quote]

The Braves probably have the worst local broadcast deal in all of professional sports.

Online  Re: Kimbrel?
Posted: April 18, 2019, 9:28 AM Post
BrewersSuperCollector said:
Pretty much spot on. The Braves are a notoriously cheap team despite having a huge market as they probably have the largest regional fan base of any team in baseball.

I didn't even think there was a question that the Braves were a cheap organization. Do you debate this?

The Braves probably have the worst local broadcast deal in all of professional sports.[/quote]

Yes that’s correct.
But they also had a profit of 100 million last year and 49 million the year before.

Because of them being a public Corp they have to reveal more info.

Fangraphs has an interesting article on them & baseball owners in general, for those that haven’t read it just google fangraphs Atlanta braves open books.

Posted: April 18, 2019, 10:59 AM Post
According to Jon Heyman of MLB Network, interested teams now believe that Craig Kimbrel would be willing to accept a three-year deal.

Kimbrel had been holding out for at least a five-year pact as of late March. There are glaring needs in bullpens around the major leagues and so offers really should be pouring in for the 30-year-old right-hander, who owns a career 1.91 ERA and 333 career saves, but there is still no clarity at all on where he might land. Heyman mentions the Braves, Brewers, Nationals, and Phillies as possible fits.

SOURCE: Jon Heyman on Twitter
Apr 18, 2019, 10:26 AM

Posted: April 18, 2019, 11:22 AM Post
No way we get in on 3 years for Kimbrel, do we? I don't know - it just doesn't seem like a David Stearns type move. I could see us interested in a 1 year deal, but I just don't see us throwing out some 3 yr, 55M+ type deal for a reliever.

Posted: April 18, 2019, 1:32 PM Post
3 years 36 Million, maybe, more than that, I'd guess NO!

Posted: April 18, 2019, 1:51 PM Post
David Meter (Kimbrel's agent): Hey Jon, Craig hasn't gotten a call from a team in weeks. Do you have any ideas how we can fabricate interest in him out of thin air?

Jon Heyman: Well, the Brewers show tepid interest in pretty much everyone, and they are a contender with bullpen issues. Why don't I throw out a tweet that they are showing interest?

David Meter: But David Stearns hasn't returned any of my calls since January when I told him Craig wanted $125 million for 5 years. He just started laughing while muttering something like, "If I were that crazy, I'd just call K-Rod again ..."

Jon Heyman: The Brewers never confirm or deny their interest in anyone. They are the perfect mark!

David Meter: OK, do it. Are you still fine with our customary .5% when Craig signs?

Jon Heyman: Deal! I'll get to work on my feature about how Albies' deal is great for the players.

Posted: April 18, 2019, 6:29 PM Post
Global Moderator
turborickey said:
3 years 36 Million, maybe, more than that, I'd guess NO!

I still refer to that exact deal as “the Aramis Ramirez”.

Posted: April 19, 2019, 7:02 AM Post
Global Moderator
https://deadspin.com/dallas-keuchel-and ... 1834124830

I think this is a good read (yes... it's Deadspin).

Warning, the author uses a little bit of NSFW language here and there.

Kind of a nuanced look at the Keuchel/Kimbrel situation

For the record, I'm against going after Kimbrel for anything more than 2 years. I know the guy is HOF worthy, but relievers are volatile as heck, and he's about to hit his decline phase. I'd not mind Keuchel on a one year deal. Just thought the article was worth sharing.

Posted: April 19, 2019, 8:41 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
David Meter (Kimbrel's agent): Hey Jon, Craig hasn't gotten a call from a team in weeks. Do you have any ideas how we can fabricate interest in him out of thin air?

Jon Heyman: Well, the Brewers show tepid interest in pretty much everyone, and they are a contender with bullpen issues. Why don't I throw out a tweet that they are showing interest?

David Meter: But David Stearns hasn't returned any of my calls since January when I told him Craig wanted $125 million for 5 years. He just started laughing while muttering something like, "If I were that crazy, I'd just call K-Rod again ..."

Jon Heyman: The Brewers never confirm or deny their interest in anyone. They are the perfect mark!

David Meter: OK, do it. Are you still fine with our customary .5% when Craig signs?

Jon Heyman: Deal! I'll get to work on my feature about how Albies' deal is great for the players.

*standing ovation*

Posted: April 20, 2019, 7:56 AM Post
nate82 said:
Surprised but Kimbrell has lowered his asking price rumored to be 3-years $45m.

Wade Davis > 3 @ 51
Zach Britton >3 @ 39
Craig Kimbrel > 3 @ 45

For those that that still don’t think we need to sign him, why? Money? Possible injury? Regression candidate?

Kimbrel’s never missed time due to injury, so I’d say that bodes well for the future. Regression? Hasn’t lost velo, but some point out walks up in the playoffs, so we’re knebel’s, he worked thru that. All pitchers go thru bad periods.

The money. I think we’ve waited him out long enough and the time is right for a deal. Backload if needed. Trade him in offseason or at next year’s deadline if needed.

This would be a great start towards building a pen to rival last year’s playoffs pen, which in my opinion is needed to win the central, and potentially win a title.

Posted: April 20, 2019, 8:57 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
nate82 said:

Wade Davis > 3 @ 51
Zach Britton >3 @ 39
Craig Kimbrel > 3 @ 45

For those that that still don’t think we need to sign him, why? Money? Possible injury? Regression candidate?

See post #185 on page 10.

How many losses would Kimbrel have turned into a win so far? IMO, last night possibly, and I say possibly, may have been the first one. And that would only be if Counsell would have pulled Hader in the 8th and inserted Kimbrel, which is very questionable speculation because Kimbrel has mostly been a traditional 1 inning closer and the Brewers did not have the lead when Hader gave up the home run.

The closer is completely meaningless if the pitching staff can't get the job done through the first 8 innings and so far the Brewer pitching staff has not gotten the job done through the first 8 innings. Pitchers like Keuchel and Gonzalez make much more sense for Milwaukee.

Posted: April 20, 2019, 10:38 AM Post
JosephC said:
Brew crew 92 said:
nate82 said:

Wade Davis > 3 @ 51
Zach Britton >3 @ 39
Craig Kimbrel > 3 @ 45

How many losses would Kimbrel have turned into a win so far? IMO, last night possibly, and I say possibly, may have been the first one. And that would only be if Counsell would have pulled Hader in the 8th and inserted Kimbrel, which is very questionable speculation because Kimbrel has mostly been a traditional 1 inning closer and the Brewers did not have the lead when Hader gave up the home run.

The closer is completely meaningless if the pitching staff can't get the job done through the first 8 innings and so far the Brewer pitching staff has not gotten the job done through the first 8 innings. Pitchers like Keuchel and Gonzalez make much more sense for Milwaukee.

In my opinion you’re ignoring how great and dominant a pitcher Kimbrel is. A potential future Hall of Fame best of all time reliever for under market value and you don’t want him because he’s A traditional one inning closer?

I’ll take KNOWING the game is OVER if the crew leading after 8.

Kimbrel is one piece to getting back our pen of dominance that we had last year, and with Hader we’d have the 2 MOST DOMINANT pen arms in all of baseball.

Over the coming months someone from down under will be worthy of bringing up that can also help the pen.

Then near or at the deadline a Soria type arm

Then we have our superpen back and maybe we can go win this thing.

Posted: April 20, 2019, 12:25 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
JosephC said:
Brew crew 92 said:

Wade Davis > 3 @ 51
Zach Britton >3 @ 39
Craig Kimbrel > 3 @ 45

In my opinion you’re ignoring how great and dominant a pitcher Kimbrel is. A potential future Hall of Fame best of all time reliever for under market value and you don’t want him because he’s A traditional one inning closer?

I’ll take KNOWING the game is OVER if the crew leading after 8.

Kimbrel is one piece to getting back our pen of dominance that we had last year, and with Hader we’d have the 2 MOST DOMINANT pen arms in all of baseball.

Over the coming months someone from down under will be worthy of bringing up that can also help the pen.

Then near or at the deadline a Soria type arm

Then we have our superpen back and maybe we can go win this thing.

People know how dominant Kimbrel is. If the offense isn’t scoring, he can’t be used. If we are frequently playing from behind, he won’t be used. The offense appears to be the big issue right now with very little production outside of a couple guys. A contract of 3/$45 million is a significant amount of money for a reliever. What if he continues to regress from last season’s results? Tying that money up on a reliever is a huge risk. I personally don’t see Stearns giving that kind of money to a relief pitcher. He seems to value hitters and views them as less of a risk and having a larger impact over the course of a season than a starter or relief pitcher.

Can he surprise us and sign Kimbrel? It’s possible, but highly unlikely. I would prefer to maintain financial flexibility going into the offseason than being tied down to an expensive reliever that has shown signs of regressing.

Posted: April 22, 2019, 2:45 PM Post
I just read rosenthal’s tweet from sat eve. Mentioning the brewers and Mets talking to kimbrel’s Camp, and the Mets being interested in signing kimbrel if he’s flexible on not having to pitch the 9th. Here’s to hoping he’s not, and gets the Mets out of the kimbrel sweepstakes.

I love this news! I hope it’s down to the braves and brewers.

The braves are cheap, I hope mark steps up!
This would be such a shot in the arm!

Posted: April 22, 2019, 2:49 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
I just read rosenthal’s tweet from sat eve. Mentioning the brewers and Mets talking to kimbrel’s Camp, and the Mets being interested in signing kimbrel if he’s flexible on not having to pitch the 9th. Here’s to hoping he’s not, and gets the Mets out of the kimbrel sweepstakes.

I feel like Bill Murray on Groundhog Day.

Posted: April 22, 2019, 3:03 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Brew crew 92 said:

I hadn’t seen it mentioned anywhere on this site, and to my knowledge, it’s the first credible source saying they are talking, in quite awhile.

Stearns has to know this is the difference maker.

Posted: April 22, 2019, 3:14 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Brew crew 92 said:

I hadn’t seen it mentioned anywhere on this site, and to my knowledge, it’s the first credible source saying they are talking, in quite awhile.

Stearns has to know this is the difference maker.

If you believe these "insiders", they've been "in contact" since early March. At this point, it's really hard not to be in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp.

Posted: April 22, 2019, 6:37 PM Post
Kimbrel is a different maker? Really? He is going to pitch 1000 innings in the rotation for us?

Posted: April 22, 2019, 7:00 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Kimbrel is a different maker? Really? He is going to pitch 1000 innings in the rotation for us?

Relax, the rotation is going to get better, we have loads of talent, just off to a bad start, it’ll come around. By playoff time it’ll be a strength.

Kimbrel would give us another Josh Hader, stats almost identical. Kimbrel’s career #s actually better. So what do you think? Not a difference maker? Really? You don’t think he would improve our pen tremendously?

Posted: April 22, 2019, 7:16 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
MrTPlush said:

Relax, the rotation is going to get better, we have loads of talent, just off to a bad start, it’ll come around. By playoff time it’ll be a strength.

Kimbrel would give us another Josh Hader, stats almost identical. Kimbrel’s career #s actually better. So what do you think? Not a difference maker? Really? You don’t think he would improve our pen tremendously?

Would he make a difference? Yes.

Is he a cure-all? Not even close.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next  [ 733 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply