LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 157 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Giants Relievers...

Author Message
Offline  Re: Giants Relievers...
Posted: May 13, 2019, 8:16 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9498
Looking at the caliber of prospects that have been traded in recent years for rental relievers, I think some of you are either way overvaluing the cost of someone like Smith, or are undervaluing our prospects. I could see Smith being dealt for perhaps a couple guys in the teens or 20s (think Webb, Stokes, Bello, Gatewood level) and a lottery ticket-type. I can't see Smith's value being leaps and bounds higher than Soria's was last year, and Soria brought back Medieros (#13 at the time of the deal) and a lottery ticket.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Giants Relievers...
Posted: May 13, 2019, 9:01 AM Post
Posts: 3060
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Looking at the caliber of prospects that have been traded in recent years for rental relievers, I think some of you are either way overvaluing the cost of someone like Smith, or are undervaluing our prospects. I could see Smith being dealt for perhaps a couple guys in the teens or 20s (think Webb, Stokes, Bello, Gatewood level) and a lottery ticket-type. I can't see Smith's value being leaps and bounds higher than Soria's was last year, and Soria brought back Medieros (#13 at the time of the deal) and a lottery ticket.


Smith pitching better than Soria and for less money, wish you were right, but think it be a higher cost.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Giants Relievers...
Posted: May 13, 2019, 9:14 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9498
Brew crew 92 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Looking at the caliber of prospects that have been traded in recent years for rental relievers, I think some of you are either way overvaluing the cost of someone like Smith, or are undervaluing our prospects. I could see Smith being dealt for perhaps a couple guys in the teens or 20s (think Webb, Stokes, Bello, Gatewood level) and a lottery ticket-type. I can't see Smith's value being leaps and bounds higher than Soria's was last year, and Soria brought back Medieros (#13 at the time of the deal) and a lottery ticket.


Smith pitching better than Soria and for less money, wish you were right, but think it be a higher cost.


Soria had a 2.56 ERA and 16 saves at the time of the deal, so he was pitching great. He also had a larger track record as a closer than Smith, and the White Sox sent money the Brewers' way to help offset Soria's remaining salary. If the deal is made earlier in the year, the cost may be more significant, but value wise, they are very close. Smith being a lefty may raise his value a tad, but I don't believe a trade for Smith is going to cost the Brewers a top 5-10 prospect.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Giants Relievers...
Posted: May 13, 2019, 10:02 AM Post
Posts: 3060
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Brew crew 92 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Looking at the caliber of prospects that have been traded in recent years for rental relievers, I think some of you are either way overvaluing the cost of someone like Smith, or are undervaluing our prospects. I could see Smith being dealt for perhaps a couple guys in the teens or 20s (think Webb, Stokes, Bello, Gatewood level) and a lottery ticket-type. I can't see Smith's value being leaps and bounds higher than Soria's was last year, and Soria brought back Medieros (#13 at the time of the deal) and a lottery ticket.


Smith pitching better than Soria and for less money, wish you were right, but think it be a higher cost.


Soria had a 2.56 ERA and 16 saves at the time of the deal, so he was pitching great. He also had a larger track record as a closer than Smith, and the White Sox sent money the Brewers' way to help offset Soria's remaining salary. If the deal is made earlier in the year, the cost may be more significant, but value wise, they are very close. Smith being a lefty may raise his value a tad, but I don't believe a trade for Smith is going to cost the Brewers a top 5-10 prospect.


Cards boards calling for c- mart for Smith, So there’s gonna be more competition for Smith imo.

Houser & Stokes & Grisham > Smith or
Houser & Lutz > Smith

Soria was 34 at the time of trade, Smith 29 with better stuff.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Giants Relievers...
Posted: May 13, 2019, 10:16 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9498
Brew crew 92 said:

Cards boards calling for c- mart for Smith, So there’s gonna be more competition for Smith imo.

Houser & Stokes & Grisham > Smith or
Houser & Lutz > Smith

Soria was 34 at the time of trade, Smith 29 with better stuff.


It's a half year rental, so age is completely insignificant. And also just because a team's fanbase floats an idea, it doesn't mean that the idea makes any sense. Would the Giants want Carlos Martinez, who is making nearly $12 million this year, if they are in a rebuild?

There is no way the Brewers should even entertain trading a prospect the level of Lutz for a rental reliever. Nor do I think he'd cost close to that much to acquire. You are significantly overvaluing the rental market, or undervaluing our prospects.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Giants Relievers...
Posted: May 17, 2019, 12:23 PM Post
Posts: 2040
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Brew crew 92 said:

Cards boards calling for c- mart for Smith, So there’s gonna be more competition for Smith imo.

Houser & Stokes & Grisham > Smith or
Houser & Lutz > Smith

Soria was 34 at the time of trade, Smith 29 with better stuff.


It's a half year rental, so age is completely insignificant. And also just because a team's fanbase floats an idea, it doesn't mean that the idea makes any sense. Would the Giants want Carlos Martinez, who is making nearly $12 million this year, if they are in a rebuild?

There is no way the Brewers should even entertain trading a prospect the level of Lutz for a rental reliever. Nor do I think he'd cost close to that much to acquire. You are significantly overvaluing the rental market, or undervaluing our prospects.


I assume the tommy john wouldn't matter anymore, right? He has been about as consistently good as a reliever can be. And you can't say it is park effect, in 2018 Smith pitched better away from home. If the Giants put Smith on the market in June to gather potentially more teams to go after him, and get the premium for trading him early - there will be a pretty decent haul going back.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Giants Relievers...
Posted: May 18, 2019, 8:11 AM Post
Posts: 1779
Location: Madison, WI
I think some deeper systems might be able to swing a deal for Smith without including an organizational top 10 prospect, but I don't know if the Brewers quality is good enough outside of the top 10. One guy outside of the top 10 (maybe has moved into the top 10 now) that I think would be of interest to the Giants as one piece would be Stokes because he is MLB ready and could go into the Giant outfield immediately. Frankly, if I'm the Giants there just isn't much else that the Brewers have outside of the top 10 that interests me. Stokes, Supak, Carlos Rodriguez, Eduarqui Fernandez....those are players that would interest me. I'd have absolutely zero interest in players like Diplan and Gatewood, absolutely no interest whatsoever.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Giants Relievers...
Posted: May 18, 2019, 10:13 AM Post
Posts: 503
JosephC said:
I think some deeper systems might be able to swing a deal for Smith without including an organizational top 10 prospect, but I don't know if the Brewers quality is good enough outside of the top 10. One guy outside of the top 10 (maybe has moved into the top 10 now) that I think would be of interest to the Giants as one piece would be Stokes because he is MLB ready and could go into the Giant outfield immediately. Frankly, if I'm the Giants there just isn't much else that the Brewers have outside of the top 10 that interests me. Stokes, Supak, Carlos Rodriguez, Eduarqui Fernandez....those are players that would interest me. I'd have absolutely zero interest in players like Diplan and Gatewood, absolutely no interest whatsoever.


Stokes is not MLB ready. He has just 44 ABs in AAA ball. As of now he is hitting .189 for San Antonio and striking out 1/3 of his ABs. Stokes could be part of the package, but he's not what the Giants would want for immediate help. I don't know if the Crew has what the Giants want for Smith. I don't know if Stearns would give up what the Giants want for a rental.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Giants Relievers...
Posted: May 18, 2019, 10:22 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9498
wntrtxn21 said:
JosephC said:
I think some deeper systems might be able to swing a deal for Smith without including an organizational top 10 prospect, but I don't know if the Brewers quality is good enough outside of the top 10. One guy outside of the top 10 (maybe has moved into the top 10 now) that I think would be of interest to the Giants as one piece would be Stokes because he is MLB ready and could go into the Giant outfield immediately. Frankly, if I'm the Giants there just isn't much else that the Brewers have outside of the top 10 that interests me. Stokes, Supak, Carlos Rodriguez, Eduarqui Fernandez....those are players that would interest me. I'd have absolutely zero interest in players like Diplan and Gatewood, absolutely no interest whatsoever.


Stokes is not MLB ready. He has just 44 ABs in AAA ball. As of now he is hitting .189 for San Antonio and striking out 1/3 of his ABs. Stokes could be part of the package, but he's not what the Giants would want for immediate help. I don't know if the Crew has what the Giants want for Smith. I don't know if Stearns would give up what the Giants want for a rental.


I think this is the right answer. Even though I think some here might be assigning too much value to Smith, the teams still need to match up on the prospects to make the deal happen. It depends if the Giants are looking for guys they can plug onto the MLB roster immediately, or if they are looking for younger higher upside guys. The Brewers obviously have a decent sized pool of both types of players, but nobody really knows where they value them. So the only real right answer is "I don't know."


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Giants Relievers...
Posted: May 19, 2019, 6:29 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6186
Giants may let Panik walk instead of offering arby, and they have no upper level MI prospects. Dubon is blocked by Arcia and Hiura... I'd float Dubon and a PTBNL (their choice of one of Stokes/Grisham/Gatewood) and see what they say.

It's early, so the Giants will ask a lot, but they are also in a pickle if they want/need to dump salary because nobody is going to touch Posey, Crawford, Longoria, Cueto, Samardzjia, or Melancon with a 100-foot pole.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Giants Relievers...
Posted: May 21, 2019, 1:38 PM Post
Posts: 2040
LouisEly said:

It's early, so the Giants will ask a lot, but they are also in a pickle if they want/need to dump salary because nobody is going to touch Posey, Crawford, Longoria, Cueto, Samardzjia, or Melancon with a 100-foot pole.


They may want to dump salary, but they won't need to. At first thought, I would think Dubon would be an overpay. But, if the FO doesn't think he beats out Arcia at some point, then his value is as the min. wage utility guy. Which is valuable, but not as much as Will Smith in the pen for the Brewers in 2019.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Giants Relievers...
Posted: June 10, 2019, 4:47 PM Post
Posts: 88
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
What are people thinking it would take for Moronta and Watson? I honestly have no clue. Moronta having so much control makes it tough.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Giants Relievers...
Posted: June 15, 2019, 9:15 AM Post
Posts: 1779
Location: Madison, WI
Kind of surprised this thread didn't get bumped back up after last night's game.

Will Smith made Yelich look foolish in the 9th inning, something not very many pitchers can do. Extremely impressive performance by him.

I was also very impressed with Dyson. Cain gets a cheap hit to start the inning thanks to some bad defense by Sandoval. Then Dyson is smart enough and trusts his stuff enough to pitch around Yelich, even though it puts him in a 2 on, nobody out situation. Then gets Braun on the double play ball and Grandal on a ground out. Very good ground ball rates throughout his career, he looks to be a solid fit a Miller Park and juiced ball environment.

Normally I'd like to wait at least a couple more weeks just to see if another need area pops up due to injury. But if I was in Stearn's chair, I'd be letting the Giants know today that I would have interest in Smith, Dyson and Tony Watson and checking on the prices.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Giants Relievers...
Posted: June 15, 2019, 9:34 AM Post
Posts: 3060
JosephC said:
Kind of surprised this thread didn't get bumped back up after last night's game.

Will Smith made Yelich look foolish in the 9th inning, something not very many pitchers can do. Extremely impressive performance by him.

I was also very impressed with Dyson. Cain gets a cheap hit to start the inning thanks to some bad defense by Sandoval. Then Dyson is smart enough and trusts his stuff enough to pitch around Yelich, even though it puts him in a 2 on, nobody out situation. Then gets Braun on the double play ball and Grandal on a ground out. Very good ground ball rates throughout his career, he looks to be a solid fit a Miller Park and juiced ball environment.

Normally I'd like to wait at least a couple more weeks just to see if another need area pops up due to injury. But if I was in Stearn's chair, I'd be letting the Giants know today that I would have interest in Smith, Dyson and Tony Watson and checking on the prices.


Will Smith is going to command a lot more than Stearns would ever part with imo. He will be the most sought after rental RP by far on the market, bidding war big time, no thanks. Watson > meh, Dyson > meh. Moronta > no.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Giants Relievers...
Posted: June 15, 2019, 11:17 AM Post
Posts: 1779
Location: Madison, WI
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Looking at the caliber of prospects that have been traded in recent years for rental relievers, I think some of you are either way overvaluing the cost of someone like Smith, or are undervaluing our prospects. I could see Smith being dealt for perhaps a couple guys in the teens or 20s (think Webb, Stokes, Bello, Gatewood level) and a lottery ticket-type. I can't see Smith's value being leaps and bounds higher than Soria's was last year, and Soria brought back Medieros (#13 at the time of the deal) and a lottery ticket.


Considering the injury he had, working back from that injury, the fairest number would probably be to just take what Smith has done and pro-rate it over the remainder of the season. That's also the highest number one would come up with when looking at historical WAR values, so that should be pretty much the highest number used. bWAR and fWAR both 1.1, so if that continues over the rest of the season he'd be worth 1.4 WAR. That's 12.6 million in value minus 2.4 in remaining salary and he has 10.2 million in surplus value. I suppose it's possible some team overpays and gives up a back of the top 100 prospect, but IMO the numbers show a fair deal would be more along the lines of a solid top 10 organizational prospect or 2 role-player prospects. Market demands probably would also require another fringe prospect to be included.

When talking about the Brewers system, I think a couple players in the #8-#15 region works best, but it's the Giants pick of those two players. So no Webb and Stokes...more like Ashby and Feliciano.

I think pretty reasonable deals would be:
Will Smith for Tristen Lutz and Clayton Andrews
Will Smith for Aaron Ashby, Mario Feliciano and Korry Howell

If the demand goes over that level, then IMO it's super-easy to transition away from Will Smith and ask about Tony Watson instead.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Giants Relievers...
Posted: June 18, 2019, 3:18 PM Post
User avatar

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Posts: 12394
If Smith has $10.2MM excess value, Lutz by himself would be a pretty big overpay. Driveline values a 45 OFP prospect at $10.5MM and Lutz is an across the board 50-55 OFP. Even just at 50 OFP, Lutz' value is nearly $26MM.

Dubon for Smith or Feliciano plus a DSL flyer for Smith would seem to work value-wise. Maybe Supak and Francis.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Giants Relievers...
Posted: June 18, 2019, 4:05 PM Post
Posts: 19186
And That said:
If Smith has $10.2MM excess value, Lutz by himself would be a pretty big overpay. Driveline values a 45 OFP prospect at $10.5MM and Lutz is an across the board 50-55 OFP. Even just at 50 OFP, Lutz' value is nearly $26MM.

Dubon for Smith or Feliciano plus a DSL flyer for Smith would seem to work value-wise. Maybe Supak and Francis.


Surplus value will fly right out the window if there's a bidding war. I don't think either of the proposed deals will work, I think it would take closer to Lutz.

Not saying I think we should do that, just that I expect that to be the market.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Giants Relievers...
Posted: June 18, 2019, 6:41 PM Post
Posts: 503
And That said:
If Smith has $10.2MM excess value, Lutz by himself would be a pretty big overpay. Driveline values a 45 OFP prospect at $10.5MM and Lutz is an across the board 50-55 OFP. Even just at 50 OFP, Lutz' value is nearly $26MM.

Dubon for Smith or Feliciano plus a DSL flyer for Smith would seem to work value-wise. Maybe Supak and Francis.


The problem with the whole excess value thing is the minors are filled with 45 type guys. Nottingham is a 45 and the Giants would laugh themselves silly if you offered Smith straight up for him even though the "excess value" says they would be getting the better end of the deal. Smith's value will depend on how many teams are looking at him. Value is in the eye of the beholder and the number of teams in the bidding.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Giants Relievers...
Posted: June 18, 2019, 7:49 PM Post
Posts: 1779
Location: Madison, WI
On the board I used, modified from Point of Pittsburgh prospect surplus value estimates, I'd have a 26 million dollar hitting prospect at being equivalent to the #73 player on the top 100 list. Lutz is still at the tail end of Fangraphs top 100, but I don't get the idea that he is regarded nearly that high by most other "evaluators," and...right or wrong...from that I'll conclude that most MLB front offices don't view him that highly either. I have 10 million being roughly equivalent to the #240 hitter on the average top 300 list (if it existed). The 240 number comes from, in an average MLB system, I'd guess Lutz would rank about #8 on the average list.

I'd still rank Dubon as a top 300 player but would put him right near the end of that list. My best guess on his prospect surplus value would be 6.3 million.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Giants Relievers...
Posted: June 19, 2019, 12:52 AM Post
Posts: 4191
adambr2 said:
And That said:
If Smith has $10.2MM excess value, Lutz by himself would be a pretty big overpay. Driveline values a 45 OFP prospect at $10.5MM and Lutz is an across the board 50-55 OFP. Even just at 50 OFP, Lutz' value is nearly $26MM.

Dubon for Smith or Feliciano plus a DSL flyer for Smith would seem to work value-wise. Maybe Supak and Francis.


Surplus value will fly right out the window if there's a bidding war. I don't think either of the proposed deals will work, I think it would take closer to Lutz.

Not saying I think we should do that, just that I expect that to be the market.



I highly question how much a GM will measure a trade using the surplus value in this way, to begin with. They have their own rankings, they obviously aren't looking at WAR literally, they're looking at how a player figures into a team. Example, if Kimbrel comes back and pitches well, he's going to save the Cubs a LOT more games than whatever his projected WAR is. I don't think they're assigning a dollar figure on OF'ers who have certain grades on them as we speculate on here nor do I believe they assign a fixed value for the #80th prospect in baseball. I think WAR is the pre-eminent stat for comparing a players value. It's imperfect but as good as you can get. I do not believe it's anywhere near a real translation or that you can really value it in actual dollars and cents at the trade deadline when talking about trading for rentals and prospects. I don't think a team's going to pass on Will Smith for example because even though they may agree on the prospects, when you break down projected production the other team comes out ahead with 3 million in excess value.

But I also don't believe there's going to be the bidding war that others do. I think this is going to be more of a buyers market. Obviously it's possible a team acts stupid and trades away two elite prospects they sell low on because they went on a 5 game winning streak vs one team before the All-Star break only to watch as one of those prospects hits ~.340 playing CF for one of the best teams in the AL all for a #3 pitcher who hadn't shown much more than that type of upside in a few years, but we could always get "Pirated" again.

If you break it down by team, teams who are more likely to be sellers than buyers right now, you have
AL East-2 Toronto and Baltimore. Boston would have to fall way back given the talent they have to sell.
AL Central-I think you could reasonably see 4 sellers there other than the Twins. And even if it's just 3, Cleveland almost certainly won't be buying and adding salary.
AL West-I think 4 is also very possible there. Say 3.5 as the A's tend to buy and sell in the same year while they're competitive.

NL East-3 sellers. Maybe that number is only 2 if the Nats go on a run like they're capable of doing, but as positioned now, they're in the sellers category. If they become a buyer, it'll be whatever BP piece you can find though as they've got a GREAT rotation, very good lineup(potentially great with a healthy Turner) and literally one of the worst BP's in the last 30-40 years.
NLC-2 Sellers, possibly 3 if St. Louis falls back at all. They're really counting on a bunch of guys in their 30's to start to produce.
NL West-I think there could be 4 here as well. The D-backs are in a rebuild...and while they're staying around .500, they know they're not going to do anything in the playoffs. Doubt they give up anything of substance via prospects or money just to MAYBE get into a one-game playoff. The Rockies actually look like they're in a pretty good situation, but they're not going to be willing to spend much money. So lets just say 3 and assume the Rockies are in it.


Now the buyers.
ALE-The Yankees might buy, but they don't really need much. Maybe the Yanks go out and get a starter for depth, but I don't think we'd be competing against them. The Red Sox would be a team we'd have to bid against as they have a need for BP help, but they have multiple needs.
The Rays are usually very conservative.
ALC-The Twins look like they may actually be buyers this year. And given the offensive explosion(which I expect will regress significantly) they seem like they could be one of the most aggressive teams.
ALW-Astros-That teams is so absurdly talented, I don't see much need to add there.

NLE-The Braves are cheap and already added Kuchel. I don't think they'll be real aggressive.
NLC-The Cubs made a big move to get Kimbrel. They have been worried about that Luxury tax. They could still big against us, but I don't think they can afford to be that aggressive, nor do I think they'll need to be.
NLW-The Dodgers are likely to want to add multiple relievers, but I think we stand a better chance of pulling off a deal with the Giants than the Dodgers. Even if the Dodgers make a slightly better offer.


I think in the past teams have been more aggressive in fighting just to get that final WC slot whereas the past few years I don't think GM's are willing to part with valuable pieces JUST to play one game and risk going home. That's why I think teams like the D-backs, Rockies, Indians won't be aggressive and the A's will likely go on their usual second-half run, but they'll still probably sell a piece or two.

I think you're talking about 7-9 teams who will be buyers, not all of them have the same needs we do, and 16-18 teams who will be sellers and then a couple of teams who may just play it out and maybe make some smaller trades.

I think this is sorta what played out last year when we were able to acquire Soria and have the Sox pay some of his salary despite the fact that he was performing extremely well as a closer.


But all this is what makes baseball fun. We'll have to see.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 157 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test