LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 54 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Gio Gonzalez Continued...

Online  Re: Gio Gonzalez Continued...

Posted: April 21, 2019, 5:56 AM Post
OnTheBlack said:
brewmann04 said:
I wonder who they mean Gio ? Craig , Dallas

Well, they said that it wasn't Gio he was talking about. This could be a tease with nothing to it, but it's exciting.

Trying to think who I'd rather see them sign. I think I'm in the minority and would rather see Kimbrel signed for big money and Gio signed to a cheap one year deal. I just really like the idea of getting Hader back into the role of using him when it's most important and further away from using him as a closer.
Edit-I mean to say Kimbrel as opposed to Kuechel if both could be had for just one year deals.

Still, regardless of this individual being right about Moose, doesn't mean he's right here and it also says "close." Close can fall apart quickly.

No matter what, I hope it's a ONE year deal, maybe with a team option. I want to keep the young guys in the rotation and we'e got so many young relievers SHOULD be ready to step in next year with big time stuff that I'd hate to see a lot of money from next years budget allocated to fixing this years staff.

As always though, until Stearns stops making brilliant moves, I'll keep trusting him.

IMO if it is kimbrel it won’t be for 1 yr, he’s reportedly asking for 3 yrs., and that’s ok. This year’s salary will be prorated so take off 1/6. Then IF the pen looks strong with the possibility of knebel, you trade him at next yrs deadline. So essentially you get a better version of knebel til Corey is back.

Adding kimbrel would be like adding another Josh Hader. Just from the rt. Side. Statistically they are almost identical.

The starting rotation as the yr progresses will get stronger without outside help.

The answere to the crew getting to the series is a bullpen that can neutralize a 200 mil offensive powerhouse dodger team, just like last year only with a better offense and starting staff.

Posted: April 21, 2019, 12:11 PM Post
Brewers close with Gio

Offline  Re: Gio Gonzalez Continued...

Posted: April 21, 2019, 12:49 PM Post
"Close" in terms of what? Obviously not contract negotiations as Gonzalez is still Yankee's property through at least today.

Posted: April 21, 2019, 1:00 PM Post
Can he still be traded?

Posted: April 21, 2019, 5:52 PM Post
Brew4U said:

I have no idea if this guy has inside info or not, but he is literally a 16-year-old kid from Florida. I suppose he could be a minority owner's kid or something.

Posted: April 21, 2019, 7:38 PM Post
I don't want to spend any money on this guy, none. Take whatever it will cost to get him and use it for someone who can actually help us.

I don't want 4 inning Gio again.

Posted: April 21, 2019, 8:43 PM Post
turborickey said:
I don't want to spend any money on this guy, none. Take whatever it will cost to get him and use it for someone who can actually help us.

Gio averaged a shade over 5 innings per start with the Brewers - the same as Wade Miley - but with a much better track record.

I'm curious as to whom you think is out there that can be had for a similar price, that can actually help. I'm not arguing, just asking - I'm not sure that you could get Keuchel or Kimbrel as cheaply, and I don't see anyone else out there (unless you're thinking about giving up assets in a trade) worth bothering with.

Posted: April 22, 2019, 3:34 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Brew4U said:

I have no idea if this guy has inside info or not, but he is literally a 16-year-old kid from Florida. I suppose he could be a minority owner's kid or something.

He was the one who broke the Moose trade last summer. I give him about zero credibility, though. (Not that I don't appreciate Brew still passing along the rumor to us). But I've seen the guy throw a ton of stuff at the wall since the Moose trade and none of it has stuck. I think he got lucky one time with some insider info, however he came about it, but he looks like he's been fishing for attention since then.

Posted: April 22, 2019, 5:28 AM Post
I figured that since I saw it in two places it was worthy of a share. Not that I totally believe either of them.

Posted: April 22, 2019, 6:10 AM Post
adambr2 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Brew4U said:

He was the one who broke the Moose trade last summer. I give him about zero credibility, though. (Not that I don't appreciate Brew still passing along the rumor to us). But I've seen the guy throw a ton of stuff at the wall since the Moose trade and none of it has stuck. I think he got lucky one time with some insider info, however he came about it, but he looks like he's been fishing for attention since then.

I don't deny the validity of the Moose info ... it's just odd that a breaking story would be funneled through a 16-year-old kid. I do follow him on Twitter, even though 98% of his posts are garbage.

Posted: April 22, 2019, 6:31 AM Post
Sure, why not. Things haven't worked out as planned in the rotation, so you're improvising in the short term without abandoning your long term strategy. This is perfect. He just has to eat 5 innings and not completely implode and lose his poise the way young guys often do, and he'll be an upgrade.

I kind of expected a bumpy road for the rotation, and I think they did too. That's why they kept so many options like Anderson and Wilkerson. I'm a little more concerned about guys like Aguilar, Thames, and Braun possibly never being any good again.

Posted: April 22, 2019, 6:37 AM Post
anglotiger said:
turborickey said:

Gio averaged a shade over 5 innings per start with the Brewers - the same as Wade Miley - but with a much better track record.

I'm curious as to whom you think is out there that can be had for a similar price, that can actually help. I'm not arguing, just asking - I'm not sure that you could get Keuchel or Kimbrel as cheaply, and I don't see anyone else out there (unless you're thinking about giving up assets in a trade) worth bothering with.

Kuechel probably 15-18 mil for this year including the prorated.

Kimbrel probably as low as 9 mil for this year if backloaded 3, prorated.
Then traded or we’d have him for 33 mil next 2 years.

So to answere your question > kimbrel probably closest to gio price wise.

I agree with Ricky, we already have have enough depth in the rotation, gio NOT a difference maker imo. Getting kimbrel for maybe a few mil more be like adding ANOTHER HADER to this staff.

Posted: April 22, 2019, 8:13 AM Post
adambr2 said:

Yeah from what I can tell he's just really good at searching Twitter. In other words, finding mention of something before its widely known. It backfires on him often when he puts out something that turns out to be a false report.

Posted: April 22, 2019, 10:47 AM Post
I don't think the difference between Gio and Keuchel is great enough to warrant the higher cost Keuchel would demand, so I'd be all for a Gio acquisition. He's a solid guy who will keep you in the game, which right now would be a pretty nice thing to have.

Posted: April 22, 2019, 11:23 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
I don't think the difference between Gio and Keuchel is great enough to warrant the higher cost Keuchel would demand, so I'd be all for a Gio acquisition. He's a solid guy who will keep you in the game, which right now would be a pretty nice thing to have.

Nice to have? Not so sure bout that.

Do we really need another depth starter? Just asking.

The crew going with the trio in rotation to develope as starters, plus Chacín Davies Anderson Wilkerson Houser And soon Nelson. That’s 9. Maybe he’s a better option than 3 or 4 of those 9, but maybe not.

Unless we develope our trio in AAA, but not sure we should do that.

Posted: April 22, 2019, 11:43 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

The crew going with the trio in rotation to develope as starters, plus Chacín Davies Anderson Wilkerson Houser And soon Nelson. That’s 9. Maybe he’s a better option than 3 or 4 of those 9, but maybe not.

In my mind, Keuchel and Gonzalez are roughly pretty equal, so yes, nice to have. Right now, Gio would probably be #2 or #3 in this rotation, depending on where you put Anderson. Right now, on April 22, I'd trust Gio to start a game and keep the team competitive more than everyone except Davies and Chacin. It would be a toss-up with Woodruff.

Posted: April 22, 2019, 12:32 PM Post
Gio has officially been granted his release by the Yankees.

Posted: April 22, 2019, 12:33 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

In 2017, Gio was 6th in the Cy Young voting and posted a dominant line. In 2018, he regressed with the Nationals, but with the Crew, he was performing slightly better than he did in 2017.

At this point, signing Gio and a DFA of Petrika would be a smart move. It buys time for Burnes to fix his issues at San Antonio and for Peralta to get back into form as well.

Posted: April 22, 2019, 1:14 PM Post
A solid but unspectacular LH starter sounds like something we could use. Gio has the advantage over Keuchel of being both cheaper and ready to step in straight away. I'd argue against the notion that he and Keuchel are equally good though, I think at this point Keuchel is still clearly better, but Gio is probably the better fit right now.

I don't think it's happening though, if the Brewers really liked Gio I imagine he'd have been a Brewer before the season started.

Posted: April 22, 2019, 1:39 PM Post
Lathund said:
A solid but unspectacular LH starter sounds like something we could use. Gio has the advantage over Keuchel of being both cheaper and ready to step in straight away. I'd argue against the notion that he and Keuchel are equally good though, I think at this point Keuchel is still clearly better, but Gio is probably the better fit right now.

I don't think it's happening though, if the Brewers really liked Gio I imagine he'd have been a Brewer before the season started.

Agree with your take completely except maybe things have changed in the Brewers eyes in regards to the young trio and their troubles starting. I hope not, but maybe.

Plus in all likelihood it would keep us from signing Kimbrel, who is spectacular.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 54 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply