LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 54 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Gio Gonzalez Continued...

Offline  Re: Gio Gonzalez Continued...

Posted: April 22, 2019, 2:30 PM Post
If there is even a remote chance that signing Gio stops us from making another signing, then I am completely against it.

Gio isn't going to move the needle too much one way or the other. we need a needle mover, not a guy to hold a place.

Posted: April 22, 2019, 7:28 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
anglotiger said:
turborickey said:
I don't want to spend any money on this guy, none. Take whatever it will cost to get him and use it for someone who can actually help us.

I don't want 4 inning Gio again.

Gio averaged a shade over 5 innings per start with the Brewers - the same as Wade Miley - but with a much better track record.

I'm curious as to whom you think is out there that can be had for a similar price, that can actually help. I'm not arguing, just asking - I'm not sure that you could get Keuchel or Kimbrel as cheaply, and I don't see anyone else out there (unless you're thinking about giving up assets in a trade) worth bothering with.

Kuechel probably 15-18 mil for this year including the prorated.

That's what I was thinking.

Brew crew 92 said:
Kimbrel probably as low as 9 mil for this year if backloaded 3, prorated.

Then traded or we’d have him for 33 mil next 2 years.

So to answere your question > kimbrel probably closest to gio price wise.

I don't disagree that Kimbrel is a much bigger "get" than Gio, but I think that the price difference is going to be greater than you think. What I really disagree with is the contention that that Gio is worthless or, as Rickey described him, a "4 inning" pitcher.

Now, if it's really a choice between Gio and Kimbrel, then I get that argument - but I'm not convinced that it's an either/or situation. Of course, it's not my money. [smile]

clancyphile said:
In 2017, Gio was 6th in the Cy Young voting and posted a dominant line. In 2018, he regressed with the Nationals, but with the Crew, he was performing slightly better than he did in 2017.

At this point, signing Gio and a DFA of Petrika would be a smart move. It buys time for Burnes to fix his issues at San Antonio and for Peralta to get back into form as well.

I didn't want to bring up 2017 again - I mentioned it several times in the off-season and didn't want to sound like a broken record... [laughing]

Online  Re: Gio Gonzalez Continued...

Posted: April 23, 2019, 8:48 AM Post
turborickey said:
If there is even a remote chance that signing Gio stops us from making another signing, then I am completely against it.

Gio isn't going to move the needle too much one way or the other. we need a needle mover, not a guy to hold a place.

That's why I like Gonzalez, the price-tag should be low enough to allow the Brewers to make another move in July. He recently had to sign a minor league deal. There might be more demand for him now, but he will have missed 1/6th of the season. Anything is possible, but I find it hard to believe a team will throw 7 million at him when he couldn't even find a major league deal a few weeks ago. The price on him should be pretty reasonable.

Gonzalez might not be a needle mover, but if looking at the recent history, he should bring a reliable upgrade to the pitching staff.

Since the beginning of 2016:
Gonzalez = 3.87 ERA/3.95 FIP
Chacin = 4.09 ERA/4.18 FIP
Anderson = 3.69 ERA/4.66 FIP
Davies = 3.92 ERA/4.13 FIP

And the best ERA so far this season from the Brewers 4-pack (including Houser) of young starters is Woodruff's 5.81.

There is always a chance the Gonzalez is now too old, has hit the wall, would come in here and be completely ineffective. But recent history demonstrates that there is just as good a chance that he would come in here and be the team's best starting pitcher. It definitely seems to be worth taking a 3-4 million dollar risk on him.

Posted: April 23, 2019, 1:08 PM Post
turborickey said:

YES! 100% agreed. he is a stopgap at most, while we figure out what the heck our next move.

Online  Re: Gio Gonzalez Continued...

Posted: April 24, 2019, 10:00 AM Post
Brewers the "front runner" for Gio.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/04/ ... zalez.html

Posted: April 24, 2019, 10:01 AM Post
Lots of Twitter chatter this morning that the Brewers are the frontrunner for Gio. He is not the ace-type that a lot of people want, but he would provide a steady arm. It's hard for me to find a lot of fault in a move like this.

Posted: April 24, 2019, 10:02 AM Post

Roster Guru
i hope his signing comes at the expense of outrighting a catcher, and not a pitcher . . .

Posted: April 24, 2019, 10:11 AM Post
djoctagone said:
i hope his signing comes at the expense of outrighting a catcher, and not a pitcher . . .

I think that David Freitas's 40-man days are very limited at this point. I would think Donnie Hart is probably the first to go if they drop a pitcher.

Posted: April 24, 2019, 10:15 AM Post
Done deal!

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statu ... 2239081473

Posted: April 24, 2019, 10:16 AM Post
Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Brewers "have emerged as the front-runner" to sign Gio Gonzalez.

The Brewers' rotation holds a 5.74 ERA this season, which is easily the worst in the National League, so it's not a surprise that they were interested in bringing Gonzalez back. The left-hander posted a 2.13 ERA over his final five regular season starts for the Brew Crew last season. Gonzalez is now 33 and coming off a down season overall, though, so he's not a slam dunk to be better than what Milwaukee already has.

SOURCE: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter
Apr 24, 2019, 10:55 AM

Posted: April 24, 2019, 10:18 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
It's hard for me to find a lot of fault in a move like this.

As I have said before, he is not a needle mover, he is nothing more than a place holder.

If the money involved with signing him causes us to not put money into an actual needle mover in the future, I am against this signing. I don't want to waste money on this guy, that could have gone into someone else later.

Posted: April 24, 2019, 10:18 AM Post
turborickey said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

As I have said before, he is not a needle mover, he is nothing more than a place holder.

If the money involved with signing him causes us to not put money into an actual needle mover in the future, I am against this signing. I don't want to waste money on this guy, that could have gone into someone else later.

I think Mark will be fine after doling out $2 million

Posted: April 24, 2019, 10:21 AM Post
brooks_quichenick said:
turborickey said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

I think Mark will be fine after doling out $2 million

Yeah, that is "place holder" money for sure. Give him 3-4 starts and see what he has left. If it works out, great. If not ... well, the starters are getting shelled anyway, so no real loss.

Posted: April 24, 2019, 10:49 AM Post
this can probably be locked, no? shift the convo to the main page! we're winning this thing!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM
PrinceFielderx1 Said:
If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 54 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply