LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 102 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Justin Smoak

Offline  Re: Justin Smoak

Posted: May 28, 2019, 6:03 PM Post
I would rather just keep Thames and Aguilar than spend the prospect capital even if it is small on a marginal improvement at best.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 28, 2019, 6:10 PM Post
nate82 said:
I would rather just keep Thames and Aguilar than spend the prospect capital even if it is small on a marginal improvement at best.

But what if the improvement is marginal at worst and huge at best?

Don’t think anything is gonna happen trade wise for a while so we’ll continue to see what our guys do.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 28, 2019, 6:21 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
nate82 said:

Kind of like what we ended up with Schoop? Well, actually, the improvement was far less than marginal, it was non-existent.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 28, 2019, 6:23 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:

Your probably right, but then again who cares, we’d have first base for the rest of this year in good hands, and next year Stearns can get us another.

Who cares? ok, well, we as fans would care, and hopefully DS, CC, and everyone else in the organization cares...

Stearns can just go out to the 1B tree and pick another one right?

My oh my...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 28, 2019, 6:24 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
nate82 said:

Don’t think anything is gonna happen trade wise for a while so we’ll continue to see what our guys do.

There is another probability that Smoak is worse than what Thames and Aguilar are putting up. I think the most probable outcome is Smoak being just a marginal improvement and we have wasted prospect capital for basically nothing.

The prospect capital can be used for more important holes that will need to be filled like a relief pitcher or two.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 28, 2019, 6:24 PM Post
turborickey said:
Brew crew 92 said:
nate82 said:

Kind of like what we ended up with Schoop? Well, actually, the improvement was far less than marginal, it was non-existent.

Schoop didn’t want to be here, he’s an idiot.

I would imagine Smoak would be happy to have an opportunity to win.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 28, 2019, 6:27 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:

I wonder if he wanted to be in Minnesota?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 28, 2019, 6:33 PM Post
turborickey said:
Brew crew 92 said:

He chose to sign with Minnesota, so what do you think?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 28, 2019, 6:41 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
turborickey said:
Brew crew 92 said:

He chose to sign with Minnesota, so what do you think?

I don't know him personally, otherwise I'd text him for an answer.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 28, 2019, 7:40 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:

How do you know Smoak would want to be traded? He's been in Toronto for 5 seasons. He has a 1 year old daughter.

Seems we would have been able to make the same assumptions about Schoop going from the worst team in baseball to a contender, no?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 28, 2019, 9:00 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Brew crew 92 said:

How do you know Smoak would want to be traded? He's been in Toronto for 5 seasons. He has a 1 year old daughter.

Seems we would have been able to make the same assumptions about Schoop going from the worst team in baseball to a contender, no?

Why the silly talk? We just watched another retched Aguilar game, you read Keith’s info on Smoak, I know it’s really hard to agree with me on anything but this is a no brainer.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 28, 2019, 9:14 PM Post
You didn't answer my question at all or even address it.

Aside from that, it's not like I would be mad about acquiring Smoak, I just don't think over the course of the remainder of the season compared to Aguilar/Thames he's going to be nearly the upgrade you're expecting.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 28, 2019, 9:34 PM Post
adambr2 said:
You didn't answer my question at all or even address it.

Aside from that, it's not like I would be mad about acquiring Smoak, I just don't think over the course of the remainder of the season compared to Aguilar/Thames he's going to be nearly the upgrade you're expecting.

Ok, sorry your right i ignored your question.

Very high probability that Smoak has been told already he’s being shopped so like almost all rental players that go from horrible teams to good teams should be excited(think moose).

Just think Schoop the rare exception. I also think it was a shock to Schoop, maybe it was duquette’s not telling him till the last minute. It was a trade that came out of nowhere.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 29, 2019, 8:58 AM Post
I understand trading for Smoak or Abreu puts us in a weird spot of dealing with multiple 1b that have name value. Aguilar had 1 all star caliber half of baseball last year and 1 mediocre half. He hasn't hit a HR all month, if he can't get going by the all-star break...we need to seriously consider buying Smoak or another 1b and trading him elsewhere for minimal return. Big guys like Aguilar tend to fall off a cliff production-wise very early in their careers. Aguilar will be 29. It definitely sucks to sell low, but we can't afford to ride out a black hole at 1b because he has name value. Or maybe they stick with Aguilar in a bench role and trade Thames. Thames has been decent, not great. Another team may want him for the option year, but we'd definitely get almost nothing but minimal salary relief for him at this point.

Regardless of what ends up happening if we look for 1b production, not knowing what to do with Aguilar/Thames/Shaw is not a reason to allow an offensive black hole at the easiest position to field in baseball because we don't want to sell low on name value players. We need production at 1b, period. If nobody else is getting it done, Smoak is an excellent trade target.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 31, 2019, 5:55 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
I do like that he's a switch hitter. So sick of watching these all-or-nothing lefty power guys fanning away.

Interesting take you had in April, which is in agreement with my take, but now 5 weeks later you do a 180, and this is after Thames has regressed since your comments. Why? Is disagreeing with every take I have no matter how you really feel the thing to do?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 31, 2019, 6:14 AM Post
I like switch hitters a lot. When it makes sense. Eric Thames is doing just fine this season. Making a trade, just to make a trade, isn't something the Brewers do. You are overblowing a need right now to fit another one of your agendas. This is a want. Know the difference. But overall, you just... don't... get... it.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 31, 2019, 6:34 AM Post
Brew4U said:
I like switch hitters a lot. When it makes sense. Eric Thames is doing just fine this season. Making a trade, just to make a trade, isn't something the Brewers do. You are overblowing a need right now to fit another one of your agendas. This is a want. Know the difference. But overall, you just... don't... get... it.

Again, that’s your opinion, and that’s fine.
But mine like the aforementioned take is more contact, less Ks, just as much or more power, will help the lineup. Wouldn’t you like to see runners moved over, even just a little more? An occasional sacrifice fly with a runner on 3rd less than 2 out?

If 5 mil is too much to spend to have this better hitter in the lineup for the next 4+ mo. Then wait till closer to the deadline and it’ll cost 2.7 mil

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 31, 2019, 7:09 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Brew4U said:

But mine like the aforementioned take is more contact, less Ks, just as much or more power, will help the lineup. Wouldn’t you like to see runners moved over, even just a little more? An occasional sacrifice fly with a runner on 3rd less than 2 out?

If 5 mil is too much to spend to have this better hitter in the lineup for the next 4+ mo. Then wait till closer to the deadline and it’ll cost 2.7 mil

I'd like to see Mike Trout in CF instead of Cain but that is a want, not a need. I also don't post that I want Mike Trout in every single thread. See the difference yet?

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 31, 2019, 7:51 AM Post
Brew4U said:
Brew crew 92 said:
Brew4U said:

I'd like to see Mike Trout in CF instead of Cain but that is a want, not a need. I also don't post that I want Mike Trout in every single thread. See the difference yet?

Again your OPINION. Some, not just me, see the 2nd worst production at first base in ALL of baseball as a MASSIVE weakness and don’t think we have the in house solution to that massive weakness.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 31, 2019, 8:23 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Again your OPINION. Some, not just me, see the 2nd worst production at first base in ALL of baseball as a MASSIVE weakness and don’t think we have the in house solution to that massive weakness.

[laughing] You trying to lecture someone on what an opinion is...

Thames and his OPS would be right around the middle of the pack in terms of production at that production. Aguilar has absolutely stunk. If he continues, the simple fix is to simply not play him and release him. If we need help vs. LHP... Grandal can play there. Braun can play there. Moose can play there. Shaw can play there. Heck guys like Perez and Nottingham can play there. All options without giving up prospects or money as there just are not that many LHP's that we face.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 102 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply