LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 65 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Extending Moose

Offline  Re: Extending Moose

Posted: June 10, 2019, 10:59 AM Post
He is obviously a good fit for Miller Park so has more value to us than many teams. Seems like a guy who wants to be here and I think works out with Braun and Yelich in southern Cal during the off season. As someone above suggested if he would do 2/24 right now they should do it, maybe even 3/36.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Extending Moose

Posted: June 10, 2019, 11:18 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
Resigning Moose does kind of seem like the logical fix to the 1B issue after this year.

What if he falls back to reality? Then we have an overpriced 1B who isn't even good for the position. People think someone is terrible when they OPS .850 over there (Thames).

Extending Moose sounds like a way to continue our disappoint for years. Small sample improvements are dangerous. Aguilar looked like some new and improved hero over there most of last year and that surely didn't translate long term.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 10, 2019, 11:23 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
tmwiese55 said:
Resigning Moose does kind of seem like the logical fix to the 1B issue after this year.

What if he falls back to reality? Then we have an overpriced 1B who isn't even good for the position. People think someone is terrible when they OPS .850 over there (Thames)

Well I was more figuring that Shaw would move to 1B and moose back to 3B. Not picking up Thames option partially pays for the contract of Moose, note I'm not a Thames basher at all as he's been fine. If you lose Moose might as well just keep Thames at the relatively low cost (assuming he does roughly what he's doing now for rest of year). And really Moose back to reality is still competent consistent MLB player. But yes of course it comes down to price on whether you do it. I simply meant the guys on your team already, good relationships with the team, hasn't been offered big contracts elsewhere, and you have this need next year (maybe even two needs if Shaw doesn't rebound). Just seems logical to try and keep him around rather than trying to find someone else. Hopefully it works financially to do it. But if someone offers him a 4/60 or something like that you just have to walk away.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 10, 2019, 12:14 PM Post
I'd really hate to have a .270 hitter that hits 30-35 hrs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 10, 2019, 12:30 PM Post
mlloyd10 said:

He has hit .270 once and has hit 30+ homers once. I do find it pretty concerning he has a .309 OBP for his career and his ungodly year (2019 so far) his OBP is .337. That is pretty darn bad. Sure not a huge concern when he is hitting like he has so far, but betting on that to continue is pretty risky and wishful.

Can he actually consistently hit .270 or hit 30+ homers....his career track record would say definitely not. And his career started at 23 for a full season and he is now in season 30.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 10, 2019, 12:39 PM Post
2015-current, .268 hitter average 35 hrs per 162 games.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 10, 2019, 12:56 PM Post
mlloyd10 said:
2015-current, .268 hitter average 35 hrs per 162 games.

I don't care for his homerun total in 162 games unless you are telling me he is going to play 162 games. Nor do I really care for his torrid start to the year to be added like that. I would rather see that total at the end of the year.

Not saying he can't or won't be good...or that he hasn't magically improved overnight...but lets not act like it is a sure thing and major regression won't show up. It is probably more likely than him actually being this good long term.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 10, 2019, 1:00 PM Post
I'm not real current on modern statistics but batting average is very far down on the list of things I care much about. I'll take a .250 hitter with a .350 OBP any day over a .275 hitter with a career .310 OBP. Moose is having a very nice season; unfortunately long-term he has not shown a real strong ability to get on base.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 10, 2019, 1:20 PM Post
adambr2 said:
I'm not real current on modern statistics but batting average is very far down on the list of things I care much about. I'll take a .250 hitter with a .350 OBP any day over a .275 hitter with a career .310 OBP. Moose is having a very nice season; unfortunately long-term he has not shown a real strong ability to get on base.

I personally think you're a bit low on the value of batting average. A single is significantly more valuable than a walk. The 2 lines you put down, in my opinion are pretty close to similar value. The single scores a guy from 2nd, or moves a guy from 1st to 3rd.

All that said, not sure I want to extend Moose. Hiura should be the everyday 2b now, but will definitely be there very soon. We have Shaw at 3b, and while he's not as good in my opinion...he's under team control and will be cheaper. And team control/value is the only way we have a chance to compete long term. We can plug the occasional hole with someone like Moose/Grandal, but that might not be the best use of very limited resources. I simply think Moose is going to play his way into a 3/42 type deal this offseason...and I don't know that that's the best use of payroll. Pitching needs to be addressed at some point.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 10, 2019, 1:23 PM Post
adambr2 said:

I agree with this if the K rate is the same. I'm wary of low avg., high OBP, high K rate guys as they basically feast on bad pitchers and get owned by good pitchers. Moose is pretty good at making contact as opposed to a Thames. Thames cannot slow his bat down in order to even foul off a borderline pitch, so he just takes it (good strategy for him) resulting in either a BB or a K. It seems like Moose can actually fight off good pitches or even hit them for line drive singles/doubles. That means he'll BB less and K less...but put more balls in play and have more success against guys who can really work the corners.

ALSO: this is only from my observations. I'd appreciate it if the more advanced stat keepers could either corroborate or correct my observations.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 10, 2019, 3:52 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
mlloyd10 said:

He has hit .270 once and has hit 30+ homers once. I do find it pretty concerning he has a .309 OBP for his career and his ungodly year (2019 so far) his OBP is .337. That is pretty darn bad. Sure not a huge concern when he is hitting like he has so far, but betting on that to continue is pretty risky and wishful.

Can he actually consistently hit .270 or hit 30+ homers....his career track record would say definitely not. And his career started at 23 for a full season and he is now in season 30.

The other thing is... if he continues at this sort of pace, Moose will have hit at least 28 homers in the last three years. In the last five, it has been 22 or more in 4 out of 5 (2016 was injury-shortened).

OBP skills are not as good as some others, but he's hit .270 or better 3 out of 5 years. OPS+ has been 107 or better the last five years.

Put it this way, I think Moustakas is a known quantity, who gets a boost playing at Miller Park. I'd be comfortable exercising the mutual option in 2020, and then extending him for 2021 and 2022 at 2/$25 million.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 10, 2019, 4:07 PM Post
Can we please just drop the mutual option thing? It has about a .1% chance of being exercised. It's just a 3M dollar deferment, nothing more.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 10, 2019, 7:16 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
adambr2 said:

I personally think you're a bit low on the value of batting average. A single is significantly more valuable than a walk. The 2 lines you put down, in my opinion are pretty close to similar value. The single scores a guy from 2nd, or moves a guy from 1st to 3rd.

Singles aren't really on average *that* much more valuable, simply because a large proportion of plate appearances come with no one on base, when they're worth the same. What's really missing though, is power. If the extra points of AVG are all singles, then the stat line with the higher OBP is a lot more valuable. One way to look at it would be to look up the linear weights for walks vs singles and go from there.

Another, less accurate but perhaps simpler, way is to simply look at OPS. If all the extra hits (i.e the difference between the .250 and .275 batting averages) are singles, then the first stat line would have a 40 points higher OBP but a 25 point lower SLG, for an OPS 15 points higher. If all the extra hits were doubles, the first stat line would still have a 40 points higher OBP, but a 50 point lower SLG and thus a 10 points lower OPS. As 1 pt of OBP is worth more than 1 pt of SLG, one would have to take that into account as well to find the exact breakeven point for XBH, but I'm way too tired for that right now.

Or in other words, give me the .350 OBP in most cases. But one really needs .SLG or .ISO as well in order to judge properly.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 28, 2019, 10:10 AM Post
I really hope the Crew can keep this guy on a 3 year extension that lines up with Yelich and Cain, further strengthening our window to compete through 2021 or so. I'll take this news over almost any deal over the next few days.
Perhaps that would be my strategy:
Broach the idea to Moose to extend him (3 years 45 mill). Use the deadline to maybe put a little pressure on Moose to stay in Milwaukee.
If he doesn't want it, look to move him and a Brewers top 10 prospect or two for a controllable pitcher (Bauer?).
If this gets done, Shaw hits versus righties, and Hernan takes on his role again versus lefties....

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 28, 2019, 10:12 AM Post
Also, I can't see Grandal getting moved... too big of drop off if we are still serious about competing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 28, 2019, 10:16 AM Post
I’d rather see if Moustakas can’t get another deal that saddle us with him through the age of 34. He’s solid and has had a nice year but that doesn’t seem smart.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 28, 2019, 10:20 AM Post
rickh150 said:
Also, I can't see Grandal getting moved... too big of drop off if we are still serious about competing.

+1000

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 28, 2019, 10:56 AM Post
Why would Moustakas take a 2 or 3 year deal? He’s 30 years old, it’s probably his last chance at a long term deal, so I’d imagine he’ll ask for 5 years and sign with the first team that offers him 4.

Here’s a guy who has already left tens of millions of dollars on the table and has played for cut rate pay the least two years. I’m positive he will be looking for as much money/years as he can find with his third trip through free agency.

Therefore, the strategy is to get him for 2-3 years, it’s just not going to happen unless his market bottoms out and he’s looking for a contract in Late January.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 28, 2019, 12:55 PM Post
Global Moderator
Didn't he try to get a long-term deal the last two years? Seems like 2-3 years is the new "long-term" for any 30+ non-superstar player.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 28, 2019, 3:05 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
Didn't he try to get a long-term deal the last two years? Seems like 2-3 years is the new "long-term" for any 30+ non-superstar player.

If I'm in his position with this scenario, I'd take the 3year 45 mil deal. He hasn't gotten the big deal yet the last two years (can't emphasize that enough), can play on a competitive team with MVP talents, and now has his best contract in his 30's.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 65 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply