LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 38 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Pitching targets

Offline  Re: Pitching targets

Posted: May 06, 2019, 5:02 AM Post
nate82 said:
Brew crew 92 said:

Doubt losing a 4th round pick has anything to do with the crew’s apparent lack of interest in signing either pitcher, money money money is obviously the reason they won’t be doing business.

Seems like you don't know how the MLB draft works. It is not just losing a 4th round pick it is losing the money associated with that pick. What this means is that the Brewers will have less money to sign their picks. So if the Brewers lose another pick they will have to be more conservative in drafting a player meaning they can't go after a high school player or a junior college player who drops in the draft as they won't have enough in the pool to sign said player.

It is not just losing a draft it is losing the slot pool that is associated with the pick that is what will hurt the Brewers. The less slot pool money you have the less you have to give for a signing bonus. This is a MLB sanction that teams can not get around. This is not just a money money money issue it is a futuristic look at the team the team has to keep on bringing in young talent and giving away too many draft picks in one year extremely hurts a team like the Brewers.

The pool money would probably have gone to the 4th round pick anyway, so they would have basically the same amount of money for the other picks as they would have if they had a 4th round pick and signed him. I too believe it's all about how much money Kimbrel wants and the length of contract he is willing to accept.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 06, 2019, 1:05 PM Post
I'd keep an eye on Jeff Samardzija. He's being kept to a modest pitch count but so far he's been okay. He'd be a salary dump for SF and not cost much in return.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 06, 2019, 2:18 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
I'd keep an eye on Jeff Samardzija. He's being kept to a modest pitch count but so far he's been okay. He'd be a salary dump for SF and not cost much in return.

Why would we need him? Outside of a couple long term injuries to starters, there is no need to bring n this has been / never was re-tread...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 06, 2019, 2:31 PM Post
We don't want to spend on good players, why would we get some scrub for a salary dump price? That is why we got Gio...he was cheap and costed nothing in prospect capital. If we want to have crummy/iffy starter options we are loaded.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 06, 2019, 3:19 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
anglotiger said:
With Kimbrel and Keuchel still available at the cost of salary and a pick, why are some people discussing or even advocating giving up even more prospects from a somewhat depleted farm system - (particularly for rentals)?

Let's be honest - this team doesn't have the draft capital to get a lot of the names being mentioned (without either giving up on some of the young starters who have struggled so far and/or finishing the depletion of the farm system). If there's a trade it's more likely to be a buy-low deal on someone on a team who wants to get out from under the deal.

Because this is a small market team, and we just don’t have the funds to sign them.

That's a reason why they haven't made any moves, but ignores the point made in my second paragraph entirely. [smile]

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Pitching targets

Posted: May 06, 2019, 4:33 PM Post
anglotiger said:
Brew crew 92 said:
anglotiger said:
With Kimbrel and Keuchel still available at the cost of salary and a pick, why are some people discussing or even advocating giving up even more prospects from a somewhat depleted farm system - (particularly for rentals)?

Let's be honest - this team doesn't have the draft capital to get a lot of the names being mentioned (without either giving up on some of the young starters who have struggled so far and/or finishing the depletion of the farm system). If there's a trade it's more likely to be a buy-low deal on someone on a team who wants to get out from under the deal.

Because this is a small market team, and we just don’t have the funds to sign them.

That's a reason why they haven't made any moves, but ignores the point made in my second paragraph entirely. [smile]

Yes agree, and we’ll see how many of those type of players are made available.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 07, 2019, 7:10 PM Post
I'd like to consider Pat Venditte. He's really just needed a consistent chance in the majors. Saw he was DFA'd

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 07, 2019, 8:56 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
anglotiger said:

Yes agree, and we’ll see how many of those type of players are made available.

There are always some, but who wants them...?

I think we now know why they haven't signed Keuchel... (eyeroll)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 07, 2019, 11:09 PM Post
DHonks said:
I'd like to consider Pat Venditte. He's really just needed a consistent chance in the majors. Saw he was DFA'd

I’ve semi hoped he’d be a Brewer for years. Such an intriguing player. His glove should end up in the hof someday! Or some museum anyway.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2019, 8:17 PM Post
His minor league numbers have always been good. One would think that he just needs a chance. And at worst, tell him to focus on left-handed

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 11, 2019, 11:23 AM Post
Spotted this on BR & thought it should be shared (in its entirety)

Bumgarner’s No-Trade List

Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal
Madison Bumgarner’s eight-team no-trade list, per sources:#Braves#RedSox#Cubs#Astros#Brewers#Yankees#Phillies#STLCards

Bumgarner chose teams strategically; list comprised solely of contenders that might want to acquire him from #SFGiants, not teams he wants to avoid.

12:54 PM - May 11, 2019

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 11, 2019, 11:26 AM Post
MadThinker88 said:

Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal
Madison Bumgarner’s eight-team no-trade list, per sources:#Braves#RedSox#Cubs#Astros#Brewers#Yankees#Phillies#STLCards

Bumgarner chose teams strategically; list comprised solely of contenders that might want to acquire him from #SFGiants, not teams he wants to avoid.

Smart move on his part.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 11, 2019, 5:13 PM Post
I think it would be hilarious if he was traded to the Twins.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 11, 2019, 6:19 PM Post
LouisEly said:
I think it would be hilarious if he was traded to the Twins.

I was thinking the Marlins

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 11, 2019, 8:53 PM Post
MadThinker88 said:

Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal

Either this is a move to try to avoid being traded entirely (perhaps he just wants to stay in SF) or he wants to force contenders to negotiate an extension to get him to waive the restriction.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 12, 2019, 7:56 AM Post
It's pretty standard practice. Doesn't do any good to have teams on your NTC that you know won't be trading for you. I doubt he'll get an extension out of it but it does give him some say and leverage in July.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 19, 2019, 9:07 PM Post
Addison Reed has DFAd by the Twins after signing a big, two-year contract last year. He started out well last year, was overused, and then fell apart. This year he started out poorly in the minors. Perhaps he could be acquired and stashed away for a couple of months to build back his arm strength in hopes that he could be a factor after the all-star break.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 20, 2019, 3:47 AM Post
NYChez said:
Addison Reed has DFAd by the Twins after signing a big, two-year contract last year. He started out well last year, was overused, and then fell apart. This year he started out poorly in the minors. Perhaps he could be acquired and stashed away for a couple of months to build back his arm strength in hopes that he could be a factor after the all-star break.

Reed is washed up. in AAA: 5 IPs - 13 hits - 4 HRs. I don't think Stearns wants to waste even one dollar on him. The Brewers want to get their younger guys a chance at AAA.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 38 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply