LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

[ 3 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Caleb Smith

Offline  Caleb Smith

Posted: May 03, 2019, 6:24 PM Post
Global Moderator
I have been meaning to mention this, but a couple weeks ago Mike Ferrin on MLB Network Radio suggested that the Brewers should target LHP Caleb Smith as a mid-season starting pitching acquisition.

The Brewers actually drafted Smith in the 2016 Rule 5 Draft, but they traded him away immediately to the Cubs (suggesting they likely just made the pick on the Cubs behalf).

I have my doubts regarding whether the Marlins would even consider trading with the Brewers at this point, or at least entertaining anything beyond a complete overpay on the Brewers part. It could also be argued that it would be potentially buying high on a player without a long track record. Still, the scouting reports on Smith have been very positive this year, and the numbers suggest he is absolutely dealing as a starter.

Here is a FanGraphs article on Smith’s breakout: Caleb Smith Gives Us a Reason to Watch the Marlins

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Caleb Smith

Posted: May 08, 2019, 3:12 AM Post
Eye Black said:
I have been meaning to mention this, but a couple weeks ago Mike Ferrin on MLB Network Radio suggested that the Brewers should target LHP Caleb Smith as a mid-season starting pitching acquisition.

The Brewers actually drafted Smith in the 2016 Rule 5 Draft, but they traded him away immediately to the Cubs (suggesting they likely just made the pick on the Cubs behalf).

I have my doubts regarding whether the Marlins would even consider trading with the Brewers at this point, or at least entertaining anything beyond a complete overpay on the Brewers part. It could also be argued that it would be potentially buying high on a player without a long track record. Still, the scouting reports on Smith have been very positive this year, and the numbers suggest he is absolutely dealing as a starter.

Here is a FanGraphs article on Smith’s breakout: Caleb Smith Gives Us a Reason to Watch the Marlins

Do you really think the Marlins would not trade with the Brewers because of that trade? That seems like it'd be foolish. Other than catcher, is there a type of player that takes longer to develop than toolsy, extremely athletic OF'er with his hit tool being the worst for a potential 5 tool player?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Caleb Smith

Posted: May 08, 2019, 6:03 AM Post
Global Moderator
OnTheBlack said:
Do you really think the Marlins would not trade with the Brewers because of that trade? That seems like it'd be foolish. Other than catcher, is there a type of player that takes longer to develop than toolsy, extremely athletic OF'er with his hit tool being the worst for a potential 5 tool player?

I should have stated that differently. I do think the Marlins would trade with the Brewers, but I also think with the current perception that the Brewers fleeced them for a league MVP hanging over their heads they would proceed with caution and likely ask for a premium. Is that somewhat foolish? Absolutely. Do I think the Marlins are above acting foolishly? Not at all.

Somewhat relatedly, here is the latest example of the dysfunction from the top of the Marlins org chart, Ken Rosenthal: Derek Jeter’s right-hand man is tearing up a franchise and creating enemies along the way (The Athletic)

Lastly, I watched some of Caleb Smith’s outing against the Cubs last night and he looks like the real deal to me.

Quote   Reply 
 [ 3 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply