LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 76 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Edwin Encarnacion

Offline  Re: Edwin Encarnacion

Posted: May 22, 2019, 8:56 PM Post
Here's a question...

I think that we all know that we couldn't afford both, so where would you rather try to spend Mark A's $$$...

Encarnacion or Kimbrel?

Even setting aside the asset that you'd have to give up to get the former, this team needs the latter a lot more IMHO.

Posted: May 22, 2019, 9:14 PM Post
anglotiger said:
Here's a question...

I think that we all know that we couldn't afford both, so where would you rather try to spend Mark A's $$$...

Encarnacion or Kimbrel?

Even setting aside the asset that you'd have to give up to get the former, this team needs the latter a lot more IMHO.

Imo, I would spend the $/prospects for Edwin. I think the Crew needs a proven and consistent RH power bat to even out the lineup a bit. I agree the Brewers also need help pitching (both the rotation and pen imo), but I still think I'd consider the bat as the bigger need right now at least.

Posted: May 22, 2019, 9:20 PM Post
Fair enough. I disagree, but I respect your opinion. Consider this though... the lineup won't wear down as the year goes on without Encarnacion. The bullpen - and particularly Hader - might.

Posted: May 22, 2019, 9:57 PM Post
I also understand and respect your opinion, while neither agreeing or disagreeing with it [laughing] . To me, it comes down to personal preference. I agree that pitchers in both the rotation and pen usually wear down throughout the regular season more often than an offense. Imo though, a pitcher or 2 could be found via our farm system, or via waiver wire(of which Stearns has a good track record of plucking talented players from), or even a second smaller type trade for a solid type pitcher. Edwin has proven to be consistent power threat for a while now, even though he's getting older. Yes, his offensive game could decline because he's getting older, but I don't think they'll drop too drastically by the end of next year. And since his #'s are still good, and his contract is up after next season, that pretty much fits the Crew's "timeline" for winning a World Series or 2 during this year and next. Since they were only a win away last year. The more I think about it, the more it becomes apparent that there's really no wrong answer lol. As far as Kimbrel, I honestly think his best days are behind him. Don't get me wrong, he's been a phenomenal pitcher for a long time, but imo not anymore. Especially for what his salary demands supposedly are. If they trade for Edwin, I'd bet they'd still at least make a serious attempt to trade for a younger pitcher by the trade deadline.

Online  Re: Edwin Encarnacion

Posted: May 23, 2019, 5:35 AM Post
bigred said:
adambr2 said:
I'd pass. Aguilar hasn't had a good season and Edwin has, but Aguilar was better in just about every statistical category last year. I'd be very hesitant to assume that both their trends this year continue all season.

[In any event, if we had the budget flexibility for this kind of move, we surely wouldn't after the move. If we're going to max our payroll out, better to do it in July so we can see what our needs really]

If this would happen, and Stearns traded for Encarnacion, I'd be onboard 100%. I have 2 questions though. Since Edwin is having another good offensive year, 1. why would Seattle even want to trade him in the first place? And if they are open to it, 2. why would Seattle's asking price for the Crew to get him, likely be low? Wouldn't the Mariners want to keep him since he's playing well, no matter what his salary is? Just wondering. Maybe I'm missing something here.
I know Seattle's start to the season hasn't been the greatest, but the season is still young first of all, and they just brought in some young, talented players via trades and free agency, and at least a Veteran free agent or 2, if I'm not mistaken. And because of their moves, weren't they also thought of as a team to possibly make a serious run in the playoffs?

DiPoto isn’t stupid. Their team since the fast start is one of the worst in baseball, they are going nowhere this year. He swapped one 20 mil contract for another In Santana, so I’m pretty sure he’d have no problem trading Encarnacion, but I also don’t think it’ll be a salary dump only trade. He’s having too good of a year, with a great pedigree to dump just to get rid of his salary. My proposal if the trade happens before July:

Encarnacion + 5 mil > Aguilar

Posted: May 23, 2019, 5:44 AM Post
anglotiger said:
Here's a question...

Encarnacion or Kimbrel?

Kimbrel.

Because, imo, it will take a 3 year contract to land him, and it fits our window perfectly.

Nelson Woodruff Anderson Burnes Davies Rasmussen Peralta Perdomo Wahl Jeffress Knebel Hader Kimbrel

World Championship Pitching staff.

Last edited by Brew crew 92 on May 23, 2019, 8:09 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: May 23, 2019, 8:04 AM Post
anglotiger said:
Here's a question...

Encarnacion or Kimbrel?

The pitching is rounding into shape, same as it did last year, and the offense is still frustrating as heck, same as last year. Give me Encarnacion even if it means losing Aguilar. Which, quite frankly, I don't think would be as big of a loss as many are making it out to be.

Posted: May 23, 2019, 10:36 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
anglotiger said:
Here's a question...

Encarnacion or Kimbrel?

The pitching is rounding into shape, same as it did last year, and the offense is still frustrating as heck, same as last year. Give me Encarnacion even if it means losing Aguilar. Which, quite frankly, I don't think would be as big of a loss as many are making it out to be.

The offense is scoring a lot of runs and I'm assuming your concerns are "home run or nothing" leading to several lifeless games we've had.

I don't know how much Encarnacion will help that unless we are certain E5 is that much better than Aggy (this year) that we hit the "HR or nothing" strategy hard enough that we basically don't have any off days.

Posted: May 23, 2019, 3:39 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
anglotiger said:
Here's a question...

Encarnacion or Kimbrel?

The biggest problem with Encarnacion is that it will take prospects PLUS between $16-17M dollars for a rental. I just can't see Stearns putting out that kind of cash plus losing prospects for a 1/2 year of Encarnacion.

Posted: May 23, 2019, 7:44 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
jerichoholicninja said:
anglotiger said:
Here's a question...

Encarnacion or Kimbrel?

The biggest problem with Encarnacion is that it will take prospects PLUS between $16-17M dollars for a rental. I just can't see Stearns putting out that kind of cash plus losing prospects for a 1/2 year of Encarnacion.

No way will it cost both money AND prospects. It will be one or the other. Brewers take on the contract and give up basically nothing or they give up some prospect of minimal value and the Mariners send cash. I doubt it would cost anyone of value either way. Teams just don't give up prospects for rentals anymore.

Posted: May 23, 2019, 9:11 PM Post
Not sure why some are thinking a 1B in a market that is saturated with a lot of 1B will be some huge prospect haul. Encarnacion is good but the market is horrible for 1B/DH types. At best you are looking at a Dubon being the major piece in a trade for Encarnacion maybe even less.

Here is a more realistic deal for Encarnacion.

Mariners get: Taylor and Diplan

Brewers get: Encarnacion and $2m

I don't see how the Mariners could do any better than this for Encarnacion when you look at the market for 1B/DH types.

Posted: May 24, 2019, 11:49 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
SRB said:
If we are permanently giving up on Aguilar, which is what this trade would necessitate roster-wise, then we could get better production than Encarnacion by signing Danny Valencia for nothing and platooning him with Thames.

Really?

.260/.376/.902
36 runs. 13 HR 34 rbi
29 bb. 36 ks
Ops+ > 146

Edwin Encarnacion ^^

29 walks and 36 ks = professional hitter ^^

2017-2019 stats:

Edwin Encarnacion, .362 wOBA

Eric Thames vs. RHP, .366 wOBA
Danny Valencia vs. LHP, .353 wOBA

(This is actually an unfriendly data sample for Valencia, whose has a career .371 wOBA vs. LHP)

Meanwhile, Encarnacion is a DH-only player who shouldn't really be playing in the field.

Posted: May 24, 2019, 12:12 PM Post
He had me at, "professional hitter."

Posted: May 24, 2019, 1:08 PM Post
SRB said:
Brew crew 92 said:
SRB said:
If we are permanently giving up on Aguilar, which is what this trade would necessitate roster-wise, then we could get better production than Encarnacion by signing Danny Valencia for nothing and platooning him with Thames.

Really?

.260/.376/.902
36 runs. 13 HR 34 rbi
29 bb. 36 ks
Ops+ > 146

Edwin Encarnacion ^^

2017-2019 stats:

(This is actually an unfriendly data sample for Valencia, whose has a career .371 wOBA vs. LHP)

Meanwhile, Encarnacion is a DH-only player who shouldn't really be playing in the field.

Encarnacion play’s a more than passable first base, is on pace for 40 home runs 100+ rbi and Valencia hasn’t played at all this year.

You don’t think Stearns hasn’t checked out Valencia already?

Posted: May 24, 2019, 2:40 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
You don’t think Stearns hasn’t checked out Valencia already?

Probably not, because we'd have to dump Aguilar first which I still think is very unlikely.

Posted: May 24, 2019, 6:31 PM Post
SRB said:
Brew crew 92 said:
SRB said:

Really?

.260/.376/.902
36 runs. 13 HR 34 rbi
29 bb. 36 ks
Ops+ > 146

Edwin Encarnacion ^^

2017-2019 stats:

Is Valencia playing for anybody right now? I can't find any stats for 2019.

Posted: May 24, 2019, 6:33 PM Post
anglotiger said:
Here's a question...

Encarnacion or Kimbrel?

When the year started, the starting pitching was terrible and was the one area that was going to prevent the Brewers from going to the playoffs. Then I think the bullpen was the problem next. Then I think the next thing was the offense. Then it went back to the bullpen. Enough hand-wringing to go around to all areas of the ballclub at one point or another.

As I type this, the Brewers currently have the following rankings in the NL:
Runs per game = 8th (4.90)
Starters ERA = 11th (4.35)
Bullpen ERA = 8th (4.27)

Starting pitching is the weak point on paper, but with Woodruff's plus-plus improvement, Chacin having four pretty decent recent outings, addition of Gonzalez, possible addition of Nelson...maybe that doesn't figure to be the weak spot down the road (but maybe it will be?). But what the numbers demonstrate, there are still no obvious areas of strength or areas of weakness on the team. Currently, I'd say no to both Encarnacion and Kimbrel and play at least another six weeks and see where things are then.

Posted: May 25, 2019, 5:35 AM Post
JosephC said:
anglotiger said:
Here's a question...

Encarnacion or Kimbrel?

When the year started, the starting pitching was terrible and was the one area that was going to prevent the Brewers from going to the playoffs. Then I think the bullpen was the problem next. Then I think the next thing was the offense. Then it went back to the bullpen. Enough hand-wringing to go around to all areas of the ballclub at one point or another.

As I type this, the Brewers currently have the following rankings in the NL:
Runs per game = 8th (4.90)
Starters ERA = 11th (4.35)
Bullpen ERA = 8th (4.27)

Starting pitching is the weak point on paper, but with Woodruff's plus-plus improvement, Chacin having four pretty decent recent outings, addition of Gonzalez, possible addition of Nelson...maybe that doesn't figure to be the weak spot down the road (but maybe it will be?). But what the numbers demonstrate, there are still no obvious areas of strength or areas of weakness on the team. Currently, I'd say no to both Encarnacion and Kimbrel and play at least another six weeks and see where things are then.

This team needs a big bat and a couple of arms. One or two arms can come from within > Nelson Rasmussen Sanchez Perdomo.

The bat needs to come from outside. If it’s not Encarnacion, it will need to be a salary dump type of player, since we do not have prospect capital. Mark A said all in, well put your money where your mouth is.

Posted: May 25, 2019, 6:04 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Mark A said all in, well put your money where your mouth is.

Back to spewing this crap again? Lovely.

Posted: May 25, 2019, 6:27 AM Post
Brew4U said:
Brew crew 92 said:
Mark A said all in, well put your money where your mouth is.

Back to spewing this crap again? Lovely.

Not crap, just an opinion. It’s not an attack against Mark A, there’s time to salvage the season, let’s see what happens moving forward.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 76 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply