LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 76 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Edwin Encarnacion

Offline  Re: Edwin Encarnacion

Posted: June 03, 2019, 8:33 AM Post
The Brewers front office likes players who are versatile. At this point, Encarnacion plays only first base, and his best position is probably designated hitter for an AL team. Moreover, his contract pays him 21 million dollars this year with a 5 million dollar buy out. Given the pay he's owed, I'm not sure the Brewers are going to be interested, unless Seattle includes significant cash in the deal (the 5 million dollar option for sure and a portion of what he would still be owed in salary as well), which of course the Mariners would only do if they were getting quality prospects back. They're not going to take garbage in return AND kick in ten million dollars, therefore it's really not a good match to begin with.

Online  Re: Edwin Encarnacion

Posted: June 03, 2019, 10:51 AM Post
I tend to agree, not a good match. There are a good number of 1b/DH options available in trade, Encarnacion is not the best but he's definitely the most expensive from a $ standpoint. Also factor in our payroll is already fairly stretched.

Posted: June 03, 2019, 10:54 AM Post
An Encarnacion acquisition strikes me as making a change simply to make a change. I don't think there's any point to upsetting the apple cart unless the on-paper improvement improvement is significant.

Posted: June 03, 2019, 1:45 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
An Encarnacion acquisition strikes me as making a change simply to make a change. I don't think there's any point to upsetting the apple cart unless the on-paper improvement improvement is significant.

I don't think getting rid of the black hole at 1B would upset the apple cart, I think it would make us better.

I'm fine with Thames, but I don't think he is the answer as a regular 1B on a playoff contending team. Too many highs and lows for my liking.

Posted: June 06, 2019, 11:22 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
I saw EE play in Seattle on Saturday, he looks like a guy who has no skill except swinging for the fences on a last place team. He hasn't been in the NL in 10 years. Hard pass.

Posted: June 15, 2019, 8:04 AM Post
If this team is going to be a real threat in the playoffs against teams like Chicago and LA we are going to need a couple of right handed bats. One of those bats will be Hiura and I think the other one should be Encarnacion who won't cost much besides money.

We currently don't have one legitimate right handed threat in the lineup. Braun has been decent but is no longer elite, Cain has been absolutely horrendous and there isn't much to be said for Aguilar who has been worse than some of the pitchers.

Come playoff time if we are good enough to make it we will be facing top notch lefties such as Kershaw and Hamels. As good as Yelich, Moustakas, and Grandal have been they are all weaker against lefties. The lineup as is may be good enough to get to the postseason but if we want to win a World Series we will need to hit some top lefties and Encarnacion has proven that he can do that.

Posted: June 15, 2019, 8:55 AM Post
I think the right-handed bat aspect is completely legitimate. Grandal has gotten the job done as a right-handed bat. Hiura is probably back in a couple weeks and will certainly help. Cain's bat has been mediocre all season. Braun is up-and-down and will likely end up on the DL sometime this season. Arcia's consistency has improved but he just isn't a big threat with the bat. A key factor in this could be how much money the Mariners agree to eat. They ate a ton of money when they traded Jay Bruce away, but Encarnacion is way, way, way better than Bruce. I just question if Stearns would want to add Encarnacion's awful defense to the mix. The defensive metrics are sub-par but not horrible, but reports are that he is really poor in the field which isn't a surprise...there is a reason he's spent so much time as a DH. He's still guaranteed about 16.35 million (rest of this year's salary plus a 5 million dollar buyout for next year). If I'm in Stearn's chair, the Mariners would have to send at least 12 million to keep me slightly interested. I like the idea of adding another right-handed bat, I just don't know if Encarnacion's salary and defense makes him the best fit.

Posted: June 15, 2019, 12:25 PM Post
Encarnacion cant be any worse defensively than Thames so I wouldn't worry about the defensive aspect. Pretty sure that Seattle was given the 5 million for the buyout when they traded for him so at worst we would only be on the hook for the rest of this years salary. With a thin farm system we really need to trade for cheap reinforcements (cheap prospect value not money) and Encarnacion fills the bill.

Really first base is the only place where we can upgrade with a right handed bat besides of course Hiura taking over second base for good. If we are going to be a threat in the playoffs we need a guy like Encarnacion when we face tough left handed starters. I really think he is the perfect acquisition and with so few contenders looking for first basemen we should get him dirt cheap.

Posted: June 15, 2019, 12:34 PM Post
I wonder if Seattle would just take Aguilar straight up. Obviously he's having a terrible season but he was pretty good the last two years and amazing the first half of last year so Seattle could certainly take a shot on a rebound especially since they can afford to be patient with him. There's a lot of cheap club control there too so that would add to his value if he can rebound.

Posted: June 15, 2019, 1:56 PM Post
brewers888 said:
Encarnacion cant be any worse defensively than Thames so I wouldn't worry about the defensive aspect. Pretty sure that Seattle was given the 5 million for the buyout when they traded for him so at worst we would only be on the hook for the rest of this years salary. With a thin farm system we really need to trade for cheap reinforcements (cheap prospect value not money) and Encarnacion fills the bill.

Really first base is the only place where we can upgrade with a right handed bat besides of course Hiura taking over second base for good. If we are going to be a threat in the playoffs we need a guy like Encarnacion when we face tough left handed starters. I really think he is the perfect acquisition and with so few contenders looking for first basemen we should get him dirt cheap.

This should be the first of multiple deals Stearns needs to do before the deadline. EE would fill our biggest need, an elite righty bat that can crush good pitching. And we can get him for zero or little prospect capital.

Posted: June 15, 2019, 4:10 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
brewers888 said:

This should be the first of multiple deals Stearns needs to do before the deadline. EE would fill our biggest need, an elite righty bat that can crush good pitching. And we can get him for zero or little prospect capital.

Have you spoken to the Seattle GM or something?

Spouting opinions as facts doesn't really sit well here.

Posted: June 15, 2019, 4:24 PM Post
turborickey said:
Brew crew 92 said:
brewers888 said:

Have you spoken to the Seattle GM or something?

Spouting opinions as facts doesn't really sit well here.

Which one of us are you referring to? Since we both said pretty much the same thing.

Posted: June 15, 2019, 4:28 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:

Which one of us are you referring to? Since we both said pretty much the same thing.

You, since your post was made as fact, not opinion, a typical ploy of yours...

Posted: June 15, 2019, 5:06 PM Post
turborickey said:
Brew crew 92 said:

You, since your post was made as fact, not opinion, a typical ploy of yours...

It’s obviously an opinion to everyone including you, so stop with the annoying stalking posts, it’s past time.

Online  Re: Edwin Encarnacion

Posted: June 15, 2019, 6:56 PM Post
Traded to the Yankees.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1 ... 8538216448

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Posted: June 15, 2019, 7:06 PM Post
trwi7 said:

Awesome! Lock 'er up! In my opinion, he wasn't a good fit in Milwaukee anyway.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 76 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply