LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  [ 81 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

The Madison Bumgarner Thread: Burnes for Bumgarner [and other trade ideas]: would you do it?

Offline  Re: The Madison Bumgarner Thread: Burnes for Bumgarner [and other trade ideas]: would you do it?

Posted: July 09, 2019, 7:05 AM Post
Global Moderator
JosephC said:
I will say that Bumgarner had the look of really starting to heat up prior to taking one off the elbow. He had a 4.28 ERA and an 8.7 K/9 after a June 20 game, but in three starts after that had posted a 2.40 ERA and a 13.2 K/9. And most of those innings were against the Rockies and Diamondbacks. Both in San Francisco so he had the home park working for him, but neither of those teams have slouch offenses. I'd been the guy saying all along that it's unlikely that teams will step up and meet the Giants demands, which I think will be pretty big (Giants will need at least 2x a reasonable surplus value calculation?...all speculation on my part). But strikeout pitchers are hot...and a guy who goes on a late June/July run and is able to post a 13.2 K/9, even over a relatively modest amount of innings...demand for a guy like that could dramatically shoot up in baseball's current environment.

Interesting observations. Below is a passage from that Ken Rosenthal article in The Athletic citing the adjustment he’s made:

Execs claiming not to be all that enamored of Bumgarner are citing his hard-hit rate, which is the highest in the National League according to FanGraphs. Their point is not without merit, but Bumgarner recently made an adjustment in which he began using both sides of the plate to a greater extent.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  [ 81 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply