LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next  [ 424 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

This year's deadline

Offline  This year's deadline

Posted: May 30, 2019, 10:31 AM Post
This year's deadline is going to be relatively lame in terms of being able to swing for any of the top targets. We just don't have the prospect capital. That's why it would not surprise me to see Stearns and Mark go in for one of Kimbrel or Dallas after the draft. After trading away the comp pick for Claudio and trading away all the prospects last year, it would be a great time to spend monetarily this year and start stock piling more prospects for future trades.

Now if a Corey Ray can get you a solid bullpen arm then make that move. With Keston, Burnes, Freddy, Woody and now Drew Ras all in the future plans of the organization, they'll have to start to stock pile more talent.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: This year's deadline

Posted: May 30, 2019, 11:01 AM Post
Great take on what should happen, especially considering Mark A. Said putting aside money for trade deadline deals.

But we’ll see how much he’s willing to spend. If he increases payroll by 20 million, Stearns can turn this team into a juggernaut. But we’ll see.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: This year's deadline

Posted: May 30, 2019, 11:12 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Great take on what should happen, especially considering Mark A. Said putting aside money for trade deadline deals.

But we’ll see how much he’s willing to spend. If he increases payroll by 20 million, Stearns can turn this team into a juggernaut. But we’ll see.

When did he say this? Can you provide a source to this as I have seen you reference it a bunch, in multiple threads?

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 30, 2019, 1:16 PM Post
“ all the chips are in now.We’ll find the money at midseason if we need to.”

Brew Crew ball. Feb.22,2019.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 30, 2019, 4:11 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Brew crew 92 said:

When did he say this? Can you provide a source to this as I have seen you reference it a bunch, in multiple threads?

Brewcrew92 is right.

Attanasio was quoted in the Journal Sentinal.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/m ... 920466002/

And here is a snippit of the article:

“Our ownership group is committed to providing the resources to do the best job we can, competing on the field, providing the fan experience and developing our players,” Attanasio said. “The money sort of all came together at once. That wasn’t part of the plan.

“You can’t sequence this. So, I had to make a decision are we going to sequence it or do everything at once. We did everything at once.”

Which begged the question: Do the Brewers have enough cash in reserve to be aggressive at the trade deadline if the team is in the thick of the race and has needs, as it did last season en route to the NL Central Crown and a deep playoff push to Game 7 of the NLCS?

“We have so many roster spots filled now,” Attanasio said. “That’s more the challenge than finding the money for in-season (additions). All the chips are all in now. We’ll find the money at mid-season if we need to
.”

On the subject of spending money, Attanasio has heard the outside cries for his team to spend on a pitching ace. They didn't do it after 2017 or after the thrilling '18 season but he didn't seem too concerned.

"Every year, we are the Rodney Dangerfield of major-league pitching staffs," he said. "No respect. And every year they've performed. I'm excited to see what they can do this year as well."

As he does every spring before the team’s first full-squad workout, Attanasio delivered an address to the players during a morning meeting. He said the script was similar to the past couple of years because, basically, why fix what ain’t broke?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 30, 2019, 4:44 PM Post
Here’s what I’d do ASAP:

1.) trade for Justin Smoak now > Cost 5 mil. & a couple middling prospects.

2.) Trade Aguilar asap for whatever I could get. Every game he’s in the dugout is a negative influence thru no fault of his own, just is.

3.) Sign Kimbrel next week for 3 yrs at 42 mil. 10 mil this yr and 16 the next 2.

4.) Trade Thames for whatever I could get/salary relief.

Then i re-evaluate as we get closer to the deadline.

Add 15 mil to this year’s payroll with Smoak and Kimbrel and subtract a few mil trading Thames. Smoak will help our offense with power Walks and no Ks, and Kimbrel can dominate the 9th from July thru oct.2021.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 30, 2019, 5:09 PM Post
Really, you would want to trade for Smoak? Then sign Kimbrel?

Who would have guessed. Just keep hammering that same drum, eventually, everyone will agree with you, and you will be a hero.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 30, 2019, 5:44 PM Post
Lol Aguilar is worth a bag of balls

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 30, 2019, 5:51 PM Post
turborickey said:
Really, you would want to trade for Smoak? Then sign Kimbrel?

Who would have guessed. Just keep hammering that same drum, eventually, everyone will agree with you, and you will be a hero.

What I want is team that can win a championship. How can we improve enough to get past the dodgers? Without giving up Turang Ashby Rasmussen Burnes or any other of our future?

My plan spends 12 mil. Loses no prospects, gives us a better offense, the best bullpen in baseball, and a real shot at beating the dodgers. With a payroll 60 million less than them at 139 mil.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 30, 2019, 5:57 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Lol Aguilar is worth a bag of balls

I believe a team will give up a real prospect/prospects for an ultimate change of scenery candidate. Would think a tanking/rebuilding team be the team so they can put him at first and just let him play.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 30, 2019, 6:03 PM Post
Why would anyone give up anything? They’ll just wait for the DFA to happen.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 30, 2019, 6:13 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Why would anyone give up anything? They’ll just wait for the DFA to happen.

Yah we have our backs against a wall with him. Teams won’t line up and give us real prospects for him. Teams know we are competing and can’t afford someone hitting like a pitcher on our team.

If we got prospects it would be marginal at best and a bag of balls arguably would offer more future value to our team. Teams aren’t dumb and see Aguilar hasn’t been that good outside of a few months. First baseman aren’t that incredibly hard to find.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 30, 2019, 8:39 PM Post
PDCBalla said:
This year's deadline is going to be relatively lame in terms of being able to swing for any of the top targets. We just don't have the prospect capital. That's why it would not surprise me to see Stearns and Mark go in for one of Kimbrel or Dallas after the draft. After trading away the comp pick for Claudio and trading away all the prospects last year, it would be a great time to spend monetarily this year and start stock piling more prospects for future trades.

Now if a Corey Ray can get you a solid bullpen arm then make that move. With Keston, Burnes, Freddy, Woody and now Drew Ras all in the future plans of the organization, they'll have to start to stock pile more talent.

The way Ray has been playing for the last three years, he wouldn't bring anything. He has been awful from A+ through this year at AAA and he's currently hurt.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 30, 2019, 8:52 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Here’s what I’d do ASAP:

2.) Trade Aguilar asap for whatever I could get. Every game he’s in the dugout is a negative influence thru no fault of his own, just is.

3.) Sign Kimbrel next week for 3 yrs at 42 mil. 10 mil this yr and 16 the next 2.

Add 15 mil to this year’s payroll with Smoak and Kimbrel and subtract a few mil trading Thames. Smoak will help our offense with power Walks and no Ks, and Kimbrel can dominate the 9th from July thru oct.2021.

The problem with your scenario is that next year they would add $16M, plus they need to pick up the $11M for Moustakas, and if the re-sign Smoak that's another $9-11M added on. They also have Knebel, Shaw, Davies, Perez, Guerra, Gamel, Arcia, and Suter arby eligible. With the payroll already at a Brewer record, money becomes a major factor.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 30, 2019, 9:16 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Here’s what I’d do ASAP:

Yeah ... then what happens when Smoak hits .210 the rest of the way? Because his track record isn't exactly stellar.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 30, 2019, 9:18 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
Brew crew 92 said:
Here’s what I’d do ASAP:

The problem with your scenario is that next year they would add $16M, plus they need to pick up the $11M for Moustakas, and if the re-sign Smoak that's another $9-11M added on. They also have Knebel, Shaw, Davies, Perez, Guerra, Gamel, Arcia, and Suter arby eligible. With the payroll already at a Brewer record, money becomes a major factor.

Moose's 11M option almost certainly isn't getting picked up. As with most mutual options he either outperforms it and it's undermarket (looking likely) or he underperforms it and it's overmarket.

It was most likely just a simple way to defer some salary to 2020, same with Grandal's option.

Given Hiura's presence I seriously doubt Moose is here next year unless Shaw is traded or continues to completely flame out.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 30, 2019, 10:21 PM Post
Global Moderator
Brew crew 92 said:
Every game he’s in the dugout is a negative influence thru no fault of his own, just is.

What does this even mean??

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 31, 2019, 6:25 AM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
Brew crew 92 said:
Here’s what I’d do ASAP:

No Grandal > 18 mil
No moose > 9 mil
That’s = 27 mil

New Fox deal > 9 mil
That’s = 36 mil - 16 mil = +20 mil to keep payroll where it’s at now.

Then in the last year of Kimbrel’s contract:

New turner & Espn deal > 10 mil(EST.)
New local tv deal > 8 mil(EST.)
No Braun contract > 14 mil( less 2 mil buyout)
That’s 32 mil. - 16 mil. kimbrel = +16 mil. To keep payroll the same.

That doesn’t include extra revenue from attendance, corporate sponsors, licensing, playoff revenue.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 31, 2019, 6:29 AM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
PDCBalla said:

The way Ray has been playing for the last three years, he wouldn't bring anything. He has been awful from A+ through this year at AAA and he's currently hurt.

He was pretty darn good last year, but this year not so much. He has value, but I doubt it is worth risking our #5 pick going somewhere else and figuring it out. Stearns and Co. already look pretty dumb for that pick.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 31, 2019, 6:50 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:
Brew crew 92 said:
Every game he’s in the dugout is a negative influence thru no fault of his own, just is.

What does this even mean??

It means it’s uncomfortable for players to be around someone struggling soooooooo badly for an entire 2 mo. Outside of a week.

Last edited by Brew crew 92 on May 31, 2019, 7:45 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next  [ 424 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply