LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next  [ 270 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Sell Mode: Now Buy Mode, We Got Lyles, Pomeranz, Black, and Faria!!

Offline  Re: Sell Mode: If Necessary

Posted: June 21, 2019, 2:44 PM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
You can come piss in my cornflakes cause I wouldn’t eat those nasty things anyway.

Provided you have enough sugar on hand and you don't let them sit in the milk too long, Corn Flakes can be delicious. [smile]

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 2:45 PM Post
You guys don't know what you're missing. I refuse to eat cornflakes that aren't covered in piss.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 2:55 PM Post
I heard they’re grrrrrrrrreat! Without piss.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Sell Mode: If Necessary

Posted: June 21, 2019, 2:59 PM Post
homer said:
MrTPlush said:
You can come piss in my cornflakes cause I wouldn’t eat those nasty things anyway.

Provided you have enough sugar on hand and you don't let them sit in the milk too long, Corn Flakes can be delicious. [smile]

Wouldn't you just be better off with Frosted Flakes if you need to add sugar to corn flakes?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 3:04 PM Post
Eye Black said:
turborickey said:
This entire thread is just silly...

I'm not sure why whenever we get nice things, people want to trade them off.

Why, so we can wait another 5 years to sniff the playoffs?

I agree that the sell scenario is very unlikely and would require the losses to continue to pile up over the next month, but it isn't unprecedented for a competitive team to get a boost from making trades during a down season.

The best example that comes to mind are the Yankees in 2016 trading Aroldis Chapman, Andrew Miller and Carlos Beltran. In exchange they received (among several others) Gleyber Torres, Adam Warren, Clint Frazier, Justus Sheffield, Erik Swanson (Sheffield and Swanson were later traded for James Paxton), and Dillon Tate. On the date the Yankees made the first of those three trades (July 25) they were 51-48 and just 7.5 games back of both the division lead and the wildcard. Those trades ultimately spring-boarded their chances for greater future success.

Now obviously the Brewers don't likely have someone they would consider parting with that would bring back a Gleyber Torres type prospect, but if it is clear come the end of July that things aren't breaking their way then they better at least listen to offers on players like Moose and Grandal.

Only Yelich is untouchable on this roster. Maybe Woodruff too.

Hader is far more valuable to a WS type team than he is to any other team (i.e. The Brewers IF the slide continues and we become sellers), and we could really use a few more prospects to infuse the Yelich years with real top notch young talent rather than relying upon the wizardry of Stearns and MA to sign guys like Moose, Grandal, Chacin, etc. every single year.

Tampa Bay, Houston, Minnesota and Atlanta have some nice prospects--like 17 out of the top 55 guys on MLB pipeline are from those 4 systems. Hader, Moose, Grandal and whoever should/could net us 3 Top 50 guys plus a few more low level guys.

This roster and farm system isn't really built for sustained long term success right now. If getting to the WS this year seems like a major stretch in a month, then I hope Stearns has the gall to pull a little mini-rebuild. Even jettisoning all the expiring contracts this year for an uninspiring return might allow us to AGAIN make some big FA acquisitions in the offseason...Trading Moose and Grandal and re-signing them in January would be better than holding onto them all year and missing the playoffs.

It's still 3.5 weeks early for this talk though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 3:30 PM Post
If the Brewers even considered trading Hader whoever responsible should be require to eat sugarless pissed in corn flakes that are past their best by date.

If they want to compete in the short term you aren’t trading Woodruff, Yelich, and Hiura. There are a few other guys where trading them makes little sense if we are trying to compete next year etc....but maybe you could find a way where it is okay.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 3:37 PM Post
Global Moderator
adambr2 said:
homer said:
MrTPlush said:

Wouldn't you just be better off with Frosted Flakes if you need to add sugar to corn flakes?

You would think but there is entirely too much sugar on Frosted Flakes. It's a fine line but it's there.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 3:48 PM Post
If you have diabetes, then the sugar is already in the piss, making added sugar unnecessary for Corn Flakes.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 3:50 PM Post
homer said:
adambr2 said:
homer said:

You would think but there is entirely too much sugar on Frosted Flakes. It's a fine line but it's there.

Corn flakes mixed with another sweet cereal (e.g., Honey Smacks, Golden Crisp) is the bomb!

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 3:57 PM Post
In general I hate when people criticize other people's thread ideas. (and some of us here have done the exact same thing in recent past, and I probably have too at some point). If you think a thread is silly/ridiculous/whatever, I personally think everyone is better off if you just leave it alone and move about your day. Different people have different opinions. Unless something is obviously done just to instigate/shock (DFA Christian Yelich, for instance), not everyone has the same perspective.

So likewise, I don't understand why people get bent out of shape every time threads like this get made. Part of the fun of a message board is debating hypotheticals. If the OP had started the thread by saying "Obviously we suck and should be headed for a full blown rebuild now, so where should we start", that would be one thing, but this, it's just one possibility among many to debate. Maybe we turn it around and end up winning the World Series this year. That's another possibility too. But it's just another thing to discuss.

To answer the original question, the two most likely to get dealt I would have to think are Moose and Grandal. Both are having fine seasons and are probably worth something. Worth exactly what, is really tough to peg. I keep going back to the very paltry return JD Martinez brought back recently as a deadline rental, but both Moose and Grandal certainly have more positional value. I would start my ask for either around the value that Machado brought back last year and realize that we'll probably have to settle for less -- I'm guessing both value around a lower top 100 prospect or maybe a couple 10-15 organizational prospects from a good system.

I just don't see much really there beyond that, personally. If it was the offseason, where everyone was involved, sure. But you have to think in terms of contenders. Is a contender really looking to move trade capital at the deadline to acquire a .650ish OPS solid gloved shortstop? Nah. Or even a guy like Chacin? No, he's having a miserable year so far. Even Shaw has likely scared away potential buyers. Buyers are going to prioritize current production, especially when it comes to rentals, but even for someone like Shaw -- they know he's not useable to them right now. Not that someone might not take a Chacin, but you wouldn't get anything. It'd be a Curtis Granderson dump style move. Even a guy like Zach Davies, who is having a nice year, probably isn't going to garner that much interest. Every GM out there is well aware that he's trending in the wrong direction. Guys like Corbin Burnes and Freddy Peralta certainly have value, but as a seller to a buyer? No, you're looking for help now, and the YTD production will scare you away.

Obviously, the two names that will change the conversation entirely are Yelich and Hader, and then you're looking at an entirely different world for an asking price. But that's not a road you're looking to go down unless you're entering a full scale rebuild, and that's not what we would be doing. So yeah, I'd think Grandal and Moose would probably be the two likeliest. Smaller other pieces that you're looking to just move on from -- guys like Albers, Anderson, Guerra, Aguilar. But you're probably only talking about getting back lower organizational types at best.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 4:20 PM Post
Global Moderator
Oxy said:
If you have diabetes, then the sugar is already in the piss, making added sugar unnecessary for Corn Flakes.

This thread has me thinking Moises Alou really missed an opportunity to cross promote the benefits of unique uses for urine while appearing on a Wheaties box. His cereal box cover photo could have been something along these lines...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 4:24 PM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
If the Brewers even considered trading Hader whoever responsible should be require to eat sugarless pissed in corn flakes that are past their best by date.

Question for the room that I am honestly curious to hear the answer to...

Would you trade Josh Hader right now if it meant the return would be the exact three players the Pirates sent to the Rays for Chris Archer last year (Austin Meadows, Tyler Glasnow, and top 100 prospect Shane Baz)?

Note: This is just a hypothetical for survey purposes, not something that I am proposing is actually a possibility.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 4:55 PM Post
87 wins might take the division this year. Unless they go like 7 and 23 over the next month, the Brewers ain't selling.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 5:16 PM Post
The topic is legit, especially during their recent slide.

That being said, my take is that David and Mark A. are going to add at the deadline sooner rather than later.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 5:17 PM Post
Eye Black said:
MrTPlush said:

Would you trade Josh Hader right now if it meant the return would be the exact three players the Pirates sent to the Rays for Chris Archer last year (Austin Meadows, Tyler Glasnow, and top 100 prospect Shane Baz)?

Note: This is just a hypothetical for survey purposes, not something that I am proposing is actually a possibility.

Would I trade Hader for Meadows+Glasnow+Baz? Yes, in a heartbeat.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 5:33 PM Post
Eye Black said:
MrTPlush said:

I wouldn't RIGHT NOW, but I would in a month if the pitching staff remains as poor as it has been the last couple of weeks.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 5:55 PM Post
Oxy said:
Eye Black said:
MrTPlush said:

I wouldn't RIGHT NOW, but I would in a month if the pitching staff remains as poor as it has been the last couple of weeks.

??

Meadows would pencil right in to our starting OF for the next 6 years. He would be an immediate and huge upgrade in our lineup right NOW.

Glasnow is about to come off the DL and was having a Cy Young type season. He has ace stuff and would probably slot in at the top of our rotation for the next 5 years.

Baz is a top 100 prospect with ace upside. Who cares. He's just gravy.

I love Hader and I think it would be absolutely nuts from our perspective not to jump on this without a moment's hesitation.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 6:01 PM Post
Well if we assume Hader would command similar (I don’t think he would), yes. But those kind of idiotic packages aren’t sent by teams often. That was a ton of crazy good MLB ready talent. And seeing what they have done now makes the answer quite obvious.

You would probably need that kind of massive MLB ready package to even consider it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 7:47 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Well if we assume Hader would command similar (I don’t think he would), yes. But those kind of idiotic packages aren’t sent by teams often. That was a ton of crazy good MLB ready talent. And seeing what they have done now makes the answer quite obvious.

You would probably need that kind of massive MLB ready package to even consider it.

I’m betting there’s more out there that hader could fetch. Every other team is nuts about him. If he’s pitching once a week for a mediocre ball club you have to flip him if you could fill multiple roster holes with big time talent.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 8:57 PM Post
Eye Black said:
MrTPlush said:

I would. Not because I believe Meadows is that good, but because I really like Glasnow. I still just can't wrap my head around what the heck the Pirates were thinking. I guess we can't bash the Rays for their absurd asking prices in the future because there's always someone dumb enough to meet it!

I also get some of the shine had come off Meadows and Glasnow at the time of the trade, but you weren't exactly selling high on Archer.

I also hate seeing Hader used solely as a closer.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next  [ 270 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply