LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  [ 270 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Sell Mode: Now Buy Mode, We Got Lyles, Pomeranz, Black, and Faria!!

Offline  Re: Sell Mode: On Hold... Big comeback win!!
Posted: July 28, 2019, 8:35 AM Post
Brewcrewin07 said:
OnTheBlack said:
Brewcrewin07 said:
Did you know that you can sign players you trade away the season prior? There’s no rule against it. So even in your scenario of having them on the team next year could happen even if you did end up selling. Which again, I’ve stated numerous times that it most likely wouldn’t happen even before beating the Cubs twice.

Did you know trading one of those players or both would SERIOUSLY diminish this years team?? Did you know there is no rule against keeping them through this year and then still resigning them?? It's a novel concept, I know.

Let me ask this...if selling when you are this close to making the playoffs makes sense to you, then why are so many of the teams in the NL still rather undecided about being buyers or sellers because of how close they are to making the playoffs, and the Brewers are in better shape then they are. If you think the Brewers should sell Grandal or Moose when they are very much in the chase yet, should the Ginats sell Will Smith and Bumgarner even though they have gone on a really hot streak to get back into it?? Should the Cubs sell some pieces?? The Cardinals?? The Nationals?? The Phillies??

Jesus...the guy who said that he wouldn't consider trading Josh Hader for Tatis Jr, Paddack, Gore and Mejia...really shouldn't be talking to people like this. Arrogance and another words that sounds real similar is a VERY bad combination.

For the record, I'd move Hader...IF the Dodgers wanted him and I got Gavin Lux, Walker Buehler and Will Smith. I just don't trust the players the Padres would give back. The Dodgers I do.

So if you're *just* getting Buehler + Lux for Hader, it's a pass?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Sell Mode: On Hold... Two Big comeback wins!!
Posted: July 28, 2019, 8:42 AM Post
Buehler, Lux, and another solid starter.... I'd do it too. Relievers are volatile in nature. Few are really great throughout their career. Yes, I would take back three really good ones for a dominant closer.

Last edited by rickh150 on July 28, 2019, 9:20 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2019, 8:48 AM Post
I still wouldn’t buy too hard. This team is very capable but the holes are large enough that a big splash may not cover them. I’d do a couple of minor moves to see if some guys with new scenery and a playoff hunt can over perform for the last few months. If the prices dropped or a team was going to send a huge part of their salary for like a Greinke deal, then it might make some sense for a splash.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2019, 9:08 AM Post
Brew4U said:
I still wouldn’t buy too hard. This team is very capable but the holes are large enough that a big splash may not cover them. I’d do a couple of minor moves to see if some guys with new scenery and a playoff hunt can over perform for the last few months. If the prices dropped or a team was going to send a huge part of their salary for like a Greinke deal, then it might make some sense for a splash.

Hey! We actually agree on something. You can only do what you can do with what you have to give, but...I do believe prices will be coming down on some of these guys as the day gets closer. That being Said, I would certainly hope that DS has gauged what kind of value guys like Arcia, Aguilar, Burnes, Nelson have. He is going to have to get creative. Now granted, individually none of them have a lot of value, but if you put them into a package of some sort, I would think there's teams that would be interested in some of these guys. At this point, as I mentioned before, if all DS did was got this team a new SS, I'd be ecstatic..I'm beyond done with Arcia.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2019, 9:16 AM Post
Brewcrewin07 said:
Brew4U said:

Hey! We actually agree on something. You can only do what you can do with what you have to give, but...I do believe prices will be coming down on some of these guys as the day gets closer. That being Said, I would certainly hope that DS has gauged what kind of value guys like Arcia, Aguilar, Burnes, Nelson have. He is going to have to get creative. Now granted, individually none of them have a lot of value, but if you put them into a package of some sort, I would think there's teams that would be interested in some of these guys. At this point, as I mentioned before, if all DS did was got this team a new SS, I'd be ecstatic..I'm beyond done with Arcia.

I doubt we are on the same page but I’ll take it. I’d sell Moose and Grandal in a heart beat still. We have guys that can step in at those positions if the right deals are out there.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2019, 9:22 AM Post
Brew4U said:
Brewcrewin07 said:
Brew4U said:

I doubt we are on the same page but I’ll take it. I’d sell Moose and Grandal in a heart beat still. We have guys that can step in at those positions if the right deals are out there.

Step in at catcher? Really? Production would be way down.
Moose has been great too.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2019, 9:24 AM Post
Brew4U said:
Brewcrewin07 said:
Brew4U said:

They can maybe cover Moose...but not Grandal, not that can make up for his power and OBP. That would be a huge drop off in the lineup that is already bad enough at the SS position. No more holes please. I understand your concept on wanting to trade them without question. I just don't want to do it because A. I feel they both bring to much offensively to the current team B. I still have visions/hopes that they both come back next year. Sure you can trade them and still bring them back next year but that just seems to me that it's not as likely to happen as if you just kept them through the year then tried to re sign them. Besides...what would you possibly get for either of them being pending FA's?? A couple of lower level minor leaguers?? To me, that's just not enough to do much for the system, and certainly doesn't help the current team.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2019, 9:26 AM Post
I’d be really interested to know how much of a drop off Pina would be for the rest of the season. He’s been hot with the bat and he seems to call a better game for our pitchers. I don’t think it’d be that severe.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2019, 10:19 AM Post
Brew4U said:
I’d be really interested to know how much of a drop off Pina would be for the rest of the season. He’s been hot with the bat and he seems to call a better game for our pitchers. I don’t think it’d be that severe.

I tend to agree with this and Grandal has slowed a bit since the break but replacing Moose with the 2019 version of Shaw makes me cringe. Shaw hasn't earned a bench role much less a starting role for the rest of the year.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Sell Mode: On Hold... Big comeback win!!
Posted: July 28, 2019, 3:59 PM Post
Brewcrewin07 said:
For the record, I'd move Hader...IF the Dodgers wanted him and I got Gavin Lux, Walker Buehler and Will Smith. I just don't trust the players the Padres would give back. The Dodgers I do.

[laughing] [laughing]

Well, that's nice of you. The Dodgers would be laughing ALMOST as hard as the Padres would laugh at that hypothetical trade.

Also, what do you need to "trust?" Seriously, coming up in the Dodgers farm system isn't some magic elixir that makes you great. You're talking about not "trusting" players who are right now playing at the big league level and excelling.

But this is all moot as the Dodgers sure as hell wouldn't trade Buehler straight up for Hader, let alone throwing in Lux and their catcher of the future.

I feel like this went from unintentional to intentional trolling now.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Sell Mode: On Hold... Two Big comeback wins!!
Posted: July 28, 2019, 4:06 PM Post
Brewcrewin07 said:
Brew4U said:

Nelson? I kinda doubt Stearns has to call teams to ask what they think of the guy that was throwing the ball well in 2017, had that catastrophic shoulder injury, now has an elbow injury and looked terrible when he did pitch. It sucks, loved Nelson, but that's just how it's been.

He's the guy that teams sign in the off-season as a non-roster invitee to see if maybe he can do something, but they don't actually have to invest anything into him.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Sell Mode: Still Plausible. Lots of holes.
Posted: July 28, 2019, 5:07 PM Post
This thread remains me of the Gomez trade thread where the title kept evolving as well

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 29, 2019, 5:59 AM Post
I think they can cover Grandal better than Moose. I still don't trust Shaw's anywhere close to his 17 and 18 form. Meanwhile Pina has really picked it up (8 for his last 23 with 3 HR), and Frietas has been hitting consistently over .350 all year in AAA.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 29, 2019, 6:14 AM Post
Where are the potential landing spots for Grandal where the Brewers could get the most bang for the buck? I've seen Dodgers, but what about the Yankees, Astros, As? I don't think the Brewers would want to deal Grandal within the NL and actually have him help another postseason contender. At this point it's silly to think the Brewers plan on "selling" with no intent on trying to reach the postseason this year. They are 1 GB in the standings of the division lead with their competitors facing each other to start this week.

Back to the possibility of dealing Grandal or even Moose - I think the only way it would happen is if they can get either a MLB starter that has some remaining team control beyond 2019 in return to help shore up the rotation, or if they can get a quality prospect for him. I actually would prefer they dangle Moose for this same purpose, but I think there may be even fewer ideal landing spots for a 3B rental at this point. Another option is to fully explore trading Aguilar for pitching help, then using Grandal as a 1B platoon option when facing LHP.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 29, 2019, 6:34 AM Post
Global Moderator
Fear The Chorizo said:
Where are the potential landing spots for Grandal where the Brewers could get the most bang for the buck? I've seen Dodgers, but what about the Yankees, Astros, As? I don't think the Brewers would want to deal Grandal within the NL and actually have him help another postseason contender. At this point it's silly to think the Brewers plan on "selling" with no intent on trying to reach the postseason this year. They are 1 GB in the standings of the division lead with their competitors facing each other to start this week.

Back to the possibility of dealing Grandal or even Moose - I think the only way it would happen is if they can get either a MLB starter that has some remaining team control beyond 2019 in return to help shore up the rotation, or if they can get a quality prospect for him. I actually would prefer they dangle Moose for this same purpose, but I think there may be even fewer ideal landing spots for a 3B rental at this point. Another option is to fully explore trading Aguilar for pitching help, then using Grandal as a 1B platoon option when facing LHP.

The Rays make sense from the standpoint they could really use Grandal, they were rumored to be considering signing him in the off-season, they have a lot of quality arms in the system including in the upper minors, and they are the team facing the biggest roster crunch this upcoming off-season from a Rule 5 draft standpoint. I wouldn’t even be shocked if the Rays dealt a pitcher from their current active roster in order to get a Grandal deal done.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 29, 2019, 7:55 AM Post
In a vacuum, Dodgers would make the most sense for Grandal, but if they really liked him he'd still be a Dodger. Astros would be the most likely destination for me. Good enough team to warrant buying, would be a fairly big improvement and one that actually impacts their WS chances, and they have the kind of farm system that could ensure a package that's attractive to the Brewers without really impacting the Astros future.

Nationals is a possibility too, not gotten much from their catching due. But they're both well-paid veterans with no options remaining, so that indirectly adds several million to the cost of acquiring Grandal. Rays is a possibility, but d'Arnaud was recently acquired and has done well and Zunino is a good defender, I think they have bigger needs. Certainly have the prospects to make it happen.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 29, 2019, 8:01 AM Post
I get the idea of dealing Moose and Grandal, but I doubt he goes to a team like the Nationals who are ahead of us in the WC race. That would be a bad look at this point after winning 2 of 3 from the Cubs. The Rays or another AL team would be nice though if we could get someone to retool for next year. I agree that we have too many holes in the dam and not enough fingers to plug them at this point.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 29, 2019, 8:09 AM Post
No way they are selling Moose or Grandal for anything other than immediate pitching help. That's the priority.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 29, 2019, 8:11 AM Post
Dodger put the tag on Grandal but didn’t want to go long term. As it looks, they of course have a young catcher ready to take the league by storm in Will Smith. Man, the Dodgers are good at developing players.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 29, 2019, 11:24 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
I think they can cover Grandal better than Moose. I still don't trust Shaw's anywhere close to his 17 and 18 form. Meanwhile Pina has really picked it up (8 for his last 23 with 3 HR), and Frietas has been hitting consistently over .350 all year in AAA.

Agreed. If I am reading BRref correctly, in his small sample size, Pina has a 3.73 ERA and Grandal has a 4.97. If that actually held up, you would more than make up the lost offense with better pitching.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  [ 270 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply