LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 218 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Starting Pitching - 2019 Trade Deadline Edition

Offline  Re: Starting Pitching - 2019 Trade Deadline Edition
Posted: July 30, 2019, 2:43 PM Post
My question is, is Thor that good?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2019, 2:55 PM Post
Brew4U said:
My question is, is Thor that good?

If he can get a pitching coach...He's a really good thrower, just hasn't transitioned into a pitcher yet....If that makes sense.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2019, 3:00 PM Post
I think he is, probably moreso than most pitchers who've been overblown of late such as an Archer and other examples. Heck, plenty of the other guys being thrown around this year as well.

He's had 4 seasons in the bigs with no seasons over a 3.2 ERA and had a 3.0 just last year in 25 starts. Throw in that you can see the TOR 'stuff' and yea I think he should be viewed this strongly. This year yes the numbers are down a bit though but throw in the mess of a team he's on and small sample. Also only age 26/27 and controlled for two more years he's the rare legit ace level type pitcher that's available to a team like us since he doesn't have a big contract.

Really, the Mets would be foolish to trade him. They need to just clean up their house around him. Him, Degrom, Stroman is like half of what you need to make the playoffs.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2019, 4:59 PM Post
Reds talking to Indians about Trevor Bauer....Huh??

Ken Rosenthal
@Ken_Rosenthal
·
Now
#Reds among teams talking to #Indians about Trevor Bauer, sources tell The Athletic. Outfielder Taylor Trammell, one of CIN’s top prospects, among names under discussion. Trammell has regressed this season, batting .236 with a .688 OPS at Double A. @TheAthleticMLB

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2019, 5:15 PM Post
A Swing and A Drive said:
Unfortuately, the + would have to be Keston for Thor.

Thor being available was a smokescreen anyway.

They wanted to gauge which pieces that contending teams would be willing to part with and then try to pivot to selling the team Wheeler instead.

I would bet big money that Syndergaard isn't going anywhere this deadline.

No....no it would not. It would NOT cost Hiura+ anything for Syndergaard, certainly not Burnes+Peralta+Keston.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2019, 6:09 PM Post
Brewcrewin07 said:
Reds talking to Indians about Trevor Bauer....Huh??

Ken Rosenthal
@Ken_Rosenthal
·
Now
#Reds among teams talking to #Indians about Trevor Bauer, sources tell The Athletic. Outfielder Taylor Trammell, one of CIN’s top prospects, among names under discussion. Trammell has regressed this season, batting .236 with a .688 OPS at Double A. @TheAthleticMLB

Buying when your practically out of it is the new market inefficiency?

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2019, 7:37 PM Post
So odd that the Yankees and Astros are interested in every freaking top arm on the trade block...

So frustrating that the haves are always in the mix for the big guns while the rest of us are picking up scraps like Jordan Lyles.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2019, 7:41 PM Post
turborickey said:
So odd that the Yankees and Astros are interested in every freaking top arm on the trade block...

So frustrating that the haves are always in the mix for the big guns while the rest of us are picking up scraps like Jordan Lyles.

Yes but it seems like no one wants to trade wit hthe Yankees, and that's fine with me. [smile]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2019, 7:49 PM Post
Syndergaard looks stellar tonight. Granted he’s facing the White Sox, but he’s blowing 98-100 by guys with sharp downward movement, slider is sharp too.

5 IP 1 H 0 ER 7 K so far

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2019, 7:55 PM Post
brooks_quichenick said:
Syndergaard looks stellar tonight. Granted he’s facing the White Sox, but he’s blowing 98-100 by guys with sharp downward movement, slider is sharp too.

5 IP 1 H 0 ER 7 K so far

God, I'd love to have him, he has been my preferred target all along.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2019, 9:05 PM Post
Mark Feinsand
@Feinsand
·
2m
Another GM on the Bauer deal: "Crazy that the Reds and Mets have acquired the two biggest players thus far. Throwing supply and demand out of whack." Contenders including the Yankees, Astros, Twins and Brewers still in search of a starter with 17 hours until the deadline.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2019, 11:34 PM Post
I want to win as much as the next guy but what gives you any modicum of confidence that the 2019 Brewers can compete with the Dodgers, Yankees or Astros? Heck maybe even the Nationals or Braves. 2018 Brewers were amazing and talented and played such good baseball. The inconsistency of the 2019 Brewers will not be solved by trading for Syndergaard or Wheeler or whoever else. Unfortunately this team will be better served by standing pat and hoping that the players that carried them to a game from the World Series in 2018 rebound. Short of that, there is no trade that can solve the inconsistencies found in the 2019 version of the Brewers.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2019, 11:44 PM Post
Warning Track Power said:
I want to win as much as the next guy but what gives you any modicum of confidence that the 2019 Brewers can compete with the Dodgers, Yankees or Astros? Heck maybe even the Nationals or Braves. 2018 Brewers were amazing and talented and played such good baseball. The inconsistency of the 2019 Brewers will not be solved by trading for Syndergaard or Wheeler or whoever else. Unfortunately this team will be better served by standing pat and hoping that the players that carried them to a game from the World Series in 2018 rebound. Short of that, there is no trade that can solve the inconsistencies found in the 2019 version of the Brewers.

You don't need to be good enough to beat those teams on a consistent basis throughout the year. You have to be good enough to beat those teams for one 7 games stretch of games.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2019, 11:45 PM Post
StCroixCtyBrewer said:

You don't need to be good enough to beat those teams on a consistent basis throughout the year. You have to be good enough to beat those teams for one 7 games stretch of games.

The playoffs are a whole different animal. Get there, and anything can happen. No one is handing the Dodgers, Astros or Yankees a World Series trophy yet.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 31, 2019, 8:13 AM Post
Alex Wood is an interesting option. It assumes, of course, that the Reds acquired Bauer for 2020 and not for competing in 2019. One of the best pitchers likely to be available. The risk involved is that he's only pitched 16 innings between the minors and majors this year, but that perhaps also brings the acquisition cost down. If we're looking at rentals, he's one of my top choices.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 31, 2019, 8:18 AM Post
I could get behind that Alex Wood idea as well. I actually was just looking up his contract details and saw he's a FA. Maybe there is a reliever you can get with him too. I checked Hughes and he has a cheap team option for next year, which presumably we'd like, but if they're planning on contending next year they'd like to keep him.

Reds should have money to spend though. They might like the idea of keeping Wood and being the better position to resign him if he finishes well.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 31, 2019, 8:59 AM Post
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1156579200230404097

Fully expect this to get done and be completed underwhelmed.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 31, 2019, 9:05 AM Post

Leake is a hole-filler, but that's about it. But if the Mariners eat a big chunk of that contract, you can certainly do a lot worse for a back-end starter.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 31, 2019, 9:08 AM Post

Since the M's got 17mil to cover the last three years of the deal, i wonder if the Brewers would get around $5mil to cover next season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 31, 2019, 9:10 AM Post
Leake as a #5 behind Woodruff, Wheeler/Ray, Gio and Anderson is fine. The problem is getting that Wheeler or Ray type. A rotation of Anderson, Davies, Leake, Houser and Lyles just isn't good enough and the Brewers will fade.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 218 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply