LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 56 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers showing interest in Robbie Ray [Old Title, Concept Revisited]

Offline  Re: Brewers showing interest in Robbie Ray [Old Title, Concept Revisited]

Posted: October 09, 2019, 1:09 PM Post
Global Moderator
trwi7 said:
wntrtxn21 said:
I'd have no problem giving up Corey Ray who has been a complete bust at AAA last year.

Okay, but why would Arizona want him?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers showing interest in Robbie Ray [Old Title, Concept Revisited]

Posted: October 09, 2019, 1:47 PM Post
Corey Ray was not a bust this year. He was injured during much of the season.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 09, 2019, 2:45 PM Post
trwi7 said:
wntrtxn21 said:
I'd have no problem giving up Corey Ray who has been a complete bust at AAA last year.

For the same reason the 2019 Brewers found value is former perceived prospect bust Trent Grisham - we as stupid fans tend to give up on this guys long before intelligent front office people deem their careers to be over.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 09, 2019, 4:21 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
trwi7 said:
wntrtxn21 said:

For the same reason the 2019 Brewers found value is former perceived prospect bust Trent Grisham - we as stupid fans tend to give up on this guys long before intelligent front office people deem their careers to be over.

Okay but Grisham has never posted an OBP lower than Ray at any level while also being several years younger than the average player at these levels with good walk and strikeout rates. Ray has none of that going for him.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 09, 2019, 5:17 PM Post
trwi7 said:

Okay but Grisham has never posted an OBP lower than Ray at any level while also being several years younger than the average player at these levels with good walk and strikeout rates. Ray has none of that going for him.

Just saying that it wouldn’t be unprecedented for Ray to put himself back on the prospect map in short order.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 15, 2019, 4:50 PM Post
Since the Dbacks acquired Madbum, Ray might be available.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 15, 2019, 5:04 PM Post
Global Moderator
As I said about Ray in the starting pitching thread, Ray seems like a bit of an enigma to me. Other than a GREAT 2017, his FIP numbers are bad, and he doesn't really log a lot of innings either. I think there's a chance you have to pay to acquire an all-star level pitcher who actually has Zach Davies-like numbers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 15, 2019, 5:12 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
As I said about Ray in the starting pitching thread, Ray seems like a bit of an enigma to me. Other than a GREAT 2017, his FIP numbers are bad, and he doesn't really log a lot of innings either. I think there's a chance you have to pay to acquire an all-star level pitcher who actually has Zach Davies-like numbers.

Well I don't see Davies ever approaching 12 K/9. I wonder if he could be reinvented as a high leverage pen arm rather than a middle of the rotation starter.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 15, 2019, 5:13 PM Post
I suspect Ray will cost way too much to make it worth our while, but it would be amusing to have both Robbie Ray and Brett Anderson in the same rotation. Basically exact opposites.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 15, 2019, 5:17 PM Post
Global Moderator
adambr2 said:
PeaveyFury said:

Well I don't see Davies ever approaching 12 K/9. I wonder if he could be reinvented as a high leverage pen arm rather than a middle of the rotation starter.

Sure, the stuff is there. I just think his hype/cost is likely to exceed his expected results. Obviously, if the Brewers feel there's something they can harnes with him, I'd understand that as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 15, 2019, 6:33 PM Post
Have to wonder at this point if the 10.8 million he's projected to get in arbitration would actually be the prohibiting factor?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 15, 2019, 9:57 PM Post
Why would signing MadBum make Ray available?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 15, 2019, 10:37 PM Post
I think Ashby is the one guy who i think can be a quality young starter for the future.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 16, 2019, 10:48 AM Post
bill hAll Star said:

There was a report about 10 days ago that the Diamondbacks put Ray on the market and the asking price had come down to reasonable levels. Who knows what happened? Maybe the Diamondbacks approached Ray with a contract extension and he declined, so now they are willing to put him on the market and take a full year of return instead of the two month's return that they would get for him if they waited until the end of July.

Or else they figured they would win the Bumgarner bidding which might make Ray a spare piece in their eyes.

Bumgarner is their #1. Leake never misses a start so he's a reliable back-of-the-rotation piece. Weaver was pitching at the end of last year and looking good, not crazy to think that they would consider him their #2 (most would probably agree that he'll be better than Bumgarner if healthy). They made the Zac Gallen trade which was a fairly significant move that went under the radar, he pitched to a 2.81 ERA/3.61 FIP last year so he has the makings of a solid #3. So Bumgarner/Weaver/Gallen/Leake and then they would have Merrill Kelly (32 starts, 4.42 ERA/4.51 FIP) and Alex Young (15 starts, 3.56 ERA/4.81 FIP) to compete for the last spot, the loser of that still is a pretty decent insurance policy. Former top prospect Jon Duplantier is probably viewed as another insurance policy. They have enough depth to make this move.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 16, 2019, 11:03 AM Post
bill hAll Star said:

It doesn't by itself, but D-Backs have also been linked to Castellanos who's going to command something close to what Bumgarner got and they certainly would then be motivated to cut some salary elsewhere.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 16, 2019, 11:30 AM Post
bill hAll Star said:

I don't think the two are linked. But I've read reports of him being available. Also it's generally similar to them trading Goldschmidt with 1 year left to get some value for a FA to be.

Stearns made it sound like he's probably not adding anymore SP, which seems insane to me. I think the only way we win the division is with a Peralta/Burnes/Brown breakout campaign...at least one of those 3 needs to be 1b to Woodruff...and that's not likely.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 56 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply