LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 24 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Seattle Mariners

Offline  Re: Seattle Mariners

Posted: July 25, 2019, 6:36 AM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
Jopal78! said:
With injuries to Woodruff and Chacin; I wouldn’t be surprised if the Brewers traded for Leake. Cardinals paying contract down to 11 million per year, so he’d be owed roughly 5 million this year and 11 next year.

Brewers could probably have him for next to nothing talent wise if they absorb the contract.

Plus the $5M buyout in 2021 brings the total to approx. $21M for one year. Leake isn't worth even 1/2 that much.

Dont think you did your math right, it would be $11mil for 2020 plus the $5mil buyout so $16Mil

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 25, 2019, 6:55 AM Post
stalton said:
I thought when one team trades cash along with a player, even if that player gets traded again, the original money doesn't go with the player. I could be way off though.

It wasn't one lump payment to the Mariners when the trade was made. The Cardinals are sending the payments on a yearly basis. There is very little doubt that a Leake trade would results in the Mariners not only agreeing to transfer those payments to the new team, but also throw in a bunch of their own money as well. Just look at the recent trades they've made, they've thrown significant money into several of those deals and there is little doubt that they would do that with Leake too.

If a team trades for Leake, I can almost guarantee you that they would be on the hook for less than 10 million dollars. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the price for the new team would be as low as 5 million dollars. Look at the Jay Bruce trade. He was under contract through 2020 and had 21.3 million left on his deal. The Mariners picked up 87% of his remaining salary. Instead of the Phillies having to pay Bruce 21.3 million dollars, they are only paying him 2.75 million and the Mariners picked up the other 18.5 million.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 25, 2019, 7:04 AM Post
mlloyd10 said:
wntrtxn21 said:
Jopal78! said:
With injuries to Woodruff and Chacin; I wouldn’t be surprised if the Brewers traded for Leake. Cardinals paying contract down to 11 million per year, so he’d be owed roughly 5 million this year and 11 next year.

Brewers could probably have him for next to nothing talent wise if they absorb the contract.

Plus the $5M buyout in 2021 brings the total to approx. $21M for one year. Leake isn't worth even 1/2 that much.

Dont think you did your math right, it would be $11mil for 2020 plus the $5mil buyout so $16Mil

Plus the $5 he is owed this year = $21M

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 25, 2019, 7:15 AM Post
So its $21mil for a year and a half, not 1 year.....

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 24 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply